Confirmed with Link: Coyotes extend Travis Boyd (2 yr., $1.75M AAV)

Grimes

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 5, 2012
Tippet's Doghouse
Alright step one. Only feel slightly better about not being a complete dumpster next year. Need another four steps until I will feel like they will just be a bad team rather than being historically bad.

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
1-way deal?!?!?

I have no idea what to make of this player.

Seems like he's light in the ass by NHL standards, and doesn't hit. Doesn't kill penalties or win face-offs. Yet he's only got a 0.33 points per game in the NHL (though, that's with only 10m TOI/GP), despite being a month away from turning 28.

I wouldn't normally bother commenting as I would assume this is an AHL signing. But then I read this quote from Bill Armstrong and I'm baffled:

"We are pleased to have Travis join the Coyotes," said Armstrong. "He is a versatile, two-way center who can fill a lot of different roles for our club."

WrinkledPossum

Play Dead
Apr 23, 2016
He looks like a 13F/AHL tweener. Bit surprised with the 1 way deal.

Weird numbers last season, decent points with Toronto but atrocious faceoff %. Then horrible points and a respectable 51 FO% in Vancouver. Hope we get another C and he isn't a regular...

Grimes

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 5, 2012
Tippet's Doghouse
I mean I think that quote it perfect. He is another body that can fill in on wing or center. Surprised he doesn't kill penalities, but guess there will be time to learn lol. Hopefully he is mostly a 13th forward that helps keep a kid in Tucson when injuries hit. Hard to say if he is a better option than Hayden or Hunt but seems like he is a little more skilled than them but a lot less gritty.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
If he can eat minutes and keep Hayton in the minors then this is useful.
How many minutes do you realistically think he will eat? I want Hayton on the big club. If he can't make this team as C with no depth at that position, then all I have to say is "good night Charlie". Screw the AHL, this is his +D4. If he can't hang, trade him off for a 2nd. rounder. That seems to be a favorite of GMBA.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
This is the type of bandaid guy you sign to allow the kids on the farm to fully ripen.
Our farm is full of fully ripe kids that can't make the big club. We had one that was over ripe, was pretty good, and we let him loose. Go figure. In the meantime let the fans of your NHL team suffer another three or four years. I bet when all is said and done, our AHL will have more talent than the Yote's.

Reactions: zerekstar

Jormungandr

Aug 14, 2002
Ohio
Our farm is full of fully ripe kids that can't make the big club. We had one that was over ripe, was pretty good, and we let him loose. Go figure. In the meantime let the fans of your NHL team suffer another three or four years. I bet when all is said and done, our AHL will have more talent than the Yote's.
Who are these kids on the farm who are all “fully ripe”? We had no one on Tucson last year who even projects as an NHL player outside Jenik, Hayton, and Prosvetov. The two leading scorers weren’t even Coyotes contracted players. Bunting was the only one of note. Capo is garbage and will be gone after this coming year. Jenik and Hayton barely got their feet wet. Prosvetov obviously needs more time. None of those guys are “ripe”. Everyone else is AHL quality and where they belong.

Jamieh

Apr 25, 2012
This guy was decent at the start for the Leafs last year. Played responsibly and fast paced but ended up on waivers to fit Simmonds. I think they thought he would go unclaimed

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
They couldn’t convince Zack Smith to play this role? At least he hits and fights. Couldn’t convince Riley Sheahan? At least he kills penalties. This players seems to do nothing? I’m confused. Couldn’t you pay a guy twice as much that has a demonstrable benefit they can bring?

Maybe I’m just being a grumpy old man. I want someone to force Hayton and Jenik to really earn a spot in the NHL, if they weren’t going to be in the AHL. Take a job from a vet. I guess this dude technically does that. But why not Smith or Sheahan instead? To save 700k or what?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad