Confirmed with Link: Coyotes Sign Pierre Olivier Joseph to ELC

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
Gorm's skating wasn't elite by any means, but should have been adequate enough for him to develop into a middle pairing guy. I think his main issue was he was never able to process the game at NHL speeds.

Bingo. He was always a step behind.:nod:

mouser

Business of Hockey
Jul 13, 2006
South Mountain
Are there any rules preventing him from playing in a European league next season? Feels like that would be the most beneficial place for him, far better than toiling away another season in Q.

He’s a very lanky kid, still growing into his body. Named team captain this year, taking big steps forward in his game and reportedly in his leadership skills.

I hardly see how spending next season in the Q is “toiling away”. He’s on a competitive team and still has lots to learn and grow.

Grimes

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 5, 2012
Tippet's Doghouse
He made me not question trading Murphy. We essentially replaced him with a player that has the same or higher upside Murphy did his draft year (minus the injuries).

It wasnt a flashy pick, and was pretty underwhelming as it happened, but I feel like we got a good shot to have a solid top 4, rangy defensman. These types of picks can help the cap too as defensemen can take longer to develop and by the time some contracts are due, we may be able to shed others (Demers).

Anyways, Im drunk and like this pick a hell of a lot more than I did on draft day.

absolute garbage

Jan 22, 2006
He’s a very lanky kid, still growing into his body. Named team captain this year, taking big steps forward in his game and reportedly in his leadership skills.

I hardly see how spending next season in the Q is “toiling away”. He’s on a competitive team and still has lots to learn and grow.
He's already a PPG player there and next season is his 4th in Q, a league that produces basically no NHL defensemen.

As long as he is tracking good and shows up next training camp looking impressive-but-not-quite-ready, it would be far more beneficial for him to start learning pro game against men rather than play the defensive fiesta that is Q and continue picking up all the bad habits that come with it (especially next season since he'll be head and shoulders above the competition). Obviously hire a personal trainer/nutritionist to go with him. Strome should've probably done that last season too (again, if it's possible to do that? Can the CHL block Canadian players from going to Europe the same way they do for AHL?).

mouser

Business of Hockey
Jul 13, 2006
South Mountain
He's already a PPG player there and next season is his 4th in Q, a league that produces basically no NHL defensemen.

As long as he is tracking good and shows up next training camp looking impressive-but-not-quite-ready, it would be far more beneficial for him to start learning pro game against men rather than play the defensive fiesta that is Q and continue picking up all the bad habits that come with it (especially next season since he'll be head and shoulders above the competition). Obviously hire a personal trainer/nutritionist to go with him. Strome should've probably done that last season too (again, if it's possible to do that? Can the CHL block Canadian players from going to Europe the same way they do for AHL?).

Yes. The CHL is not obligated to allow him to transfer. And NHL clubs are not allowed to assign CHL players anywhere except to their CHL teams.

BlazingBlueAnt

Jul 12, 2014
Not doubting you, but how can the CHL own his rights like that? He was a minor when he entered the league, so it's not like he could have signed anything away

mouser

Business of Hockey
Jul 13, 2006
South Mountain
Not doubting you, but how can the CHL own his rights like that? He was a minor when he entered the league, so it's not like he could have signed anything away

I believe parents sign on the player's behalf if they're under 18.

For a player like POJ to play in Europe he has to be granted an IIHF transfer card. The typical process of getting a transfer requires the permission of the national federation--Hockey Canada--who would most likely not approve the transfer. There is a process where a transfer can get granted over the objections of the national federation if the IIHF feels those objections are unreasonable. I wouldn't expect that to happen expect in a clear cut CHL contract situation like this though.

absolute garbage

Jan 22, 2006
I know for certain that CHL can't block Europe born players (see Juolevi this season for example, CHL tried to block him from going but couldn't). Just not sure if it's somehow different with for example Canadian players.

Ebb

the nondescript
Dec 22, 2015
PA
Perhaps he could make the team next season (if he bulks up a bit). I mean he can't be too much worse than our current #7s, can he? Again, it depends on his ability to bulk up, but then, a final year of juniors might be fine as well.

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
I know for certain that CHL can't block Europe born players (see Juolevi this season for example, CHL tried to block him from going but couldn't). Just not sure if it's somehow different with for example Canadian players.
Juolevi have been in the CHL on loan from Europe. That happens all the time. The Nylander brothers are examples. Find an example of a CHL player from Canada who was drafted into the NHL out of that league and then signed in Europe prior to the end of his CHL eligibility. It's not done.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->