Confirmed with Link: Coyotes sign Jordan Oesterle to 2-yr. Extension ($1.4M AAV)

SniperHF

Rejecting Reports
Mar 9, 2007
Phoenix
I like this as long as KConn goes.

It could be that they just like what they see and are going to keep all the same faces on D. There's some merit to this given our improvement there this year (11th in GA).
It also could be good in that with all the turnover we've had over the years this would provide some consistency even if we still have this sort of 3 headed competition for the last spots constantly.

I generally would like to see a new face in KConn's spot but there's a pretty good case they shouldn't bother messing with it.

Hogan20

Leader of the JJ Moser Fan Club
May 1, 2016
Maine
There's also not a whole lot coming up that screams this guy needs to be in the NHL yesterday. POJ could use some AHL seasoning and he's probably the closest we have to 'NHL ready'.

Mosby

Ready for Yeti
Feb 16, 2012
Toronto
It could be that they just like what they see and are going to keep all the same faces on D. There's some merit to this given our improvement there this year (11th in GA).
It also could be good in that with all the turnover we've had over the years this would provide some consistency even if we still have this sort of 3 headed competition for the last spots constantly.

I generally would like to see a new face in KConn's spot but there's a pretty good case they shouldn't bother messing with it.

I agree, but with both, it makes one of these guys a very expensive spare for a budget team.

OEL - Demers
Chychrun - Hammer
Oesterle - ????
Capobianco, Bush

That's how I see it going into next year. Assuming Goose is moved and Capo is healthy.

Antonche

Jan 13, 2015
Russia, Siberia.
I agree, but with both, it makes one of these guys a very expensive spare for a budget team.

OEL - Demers
Chychrun - Hammer
Oesterle - ????
Capobianco, Bush

That's how I see it going into next year. Assuming Goose is moved and Capo is healthy.
Gudas/Jensen/Petrovic

_Del_

Jul 4, 2003
I expected this. I personally could have been convinced either way, but I'm glad they were smart enough to make a decision and act on it. He's everything you want from a third pairing guy. Just struggles when the opposition establishes possession and gets the forecheck going.

Reactions: Jakey53

Hogan20

Leader of the JJ Moser Fan Club
May 1, 2016
Maine
I think Bush has really carved out that 3RD position for himself so I wouldn't be surprised if he's penciled in their to begin the season.
OEL - Demers
Chychrun - Hammer
Oesterle - Bush
Capo, POJ, Gross

Reactions: Imaravencawcaw

cobra427

May 6, 2012
Depth signing. Its ok like the Kconn signing, 2 years of security. Chayka likes to bet early Chych/DVO/Kconn/Oesterle, not sure I am a fan of this strategy. It might be part of Chayka thinking he can see the future in certain players which hasn't panned out yet.

Reactions: Jakey53

Grimes

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 5, 2012
Tippet's Doghouse
I like the Oesterle 2 year extension a whole lot more than the KConn one. Oesterle has been much more consistent with his offensive input, where KConn exploded at the end if the season. It is also 1m less. He isn't as physical as KConn but is a better skater and I think there is still some untapped upside. KConn hitt 10 goals last year felt one of two things; a fluke (which it was) or he finally put it all together (he didn't).

Speaking of upside, how do you compare Stone and Oesterle. Did we overvalue Stone while he was here, or just another stat in the fact that most NHL'rs peak in that 24-26 age range? Is Oesterle more of a Schlemko or a Stone in his prime?

Grimes

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 5, 2012
Tippet's Doghouse
I don’t see any parallels between Stone and Oesterle.

Sorry, I wasn't very clear. Not really comparing play styles but could Oesterle become a a top 4 defenseman ornis he a Schlemko type at best?

I think in my last post I was wondering out loud if Stone is a top 4 defenseman.

Summer Rose

Red Like Roses
Sponsor
May 3, 2012
Gainesville, Florida
Sorry, I wasn't very clear. Not really comparing play styles but could Oesterle become a a top 4 defenseman ornis he a Schlemko type at best?

I think in my last post I was wondering out loud if Stone is a top 4 defenseman.

Honestly I doubt it. He seems like someone who will solidify your bottom pairing, as opposed to the bottom pairing being a carousel of guys who are fringe NHLers (whether on the way in or out depending on age and contract status, i.e. I'd define both Capobianco and Connauton as "fringe NHLers" right now but it's an easy decision who you'd rather keep in your organization) you get mad at on any given night and demand they be scratched to think about what they did in the press box.

Reactions: Grimes

gorsk11

Logan Cooley for the win.
Jun 25, 2008
AZ
I like this signing. I think he has started to up his game offensively. I like that he can skate. He has some flaws defensively but great value compared to Gologoski contract and Gogo's adventurous defense at times.

Reactions: Ghostface Keller

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->