Confirmed with Link: Coyotes sign G Karel Vejmelka to a one year ELC.

XX

Waiting for Ishbia
Dec 10, 2002
PHX
Does he qualify?

Unlike with skaters, there is no NHL GP requirement for goalies. They just have to be third year pros. So yes, he appears to qualify.

Mosby

<3 Uncle Gary
Feb 16, 2012
Toronto
It's a two-way deal so I assume to support Prosvetov in Tucson while allowing Tendeck to be the starter in wherever the hell our ECHL team is these days.

Canis Latrans

Jan 19, 2015
Australia
This is even better than I expected for solving the goalie exposure issue. I figured we'd be needing to acquire both a defenseman and goalie in various off-season deals and it would lower the return just to get one tacked on. It's just a little bit more flexibility is all. And of course he's not getting selected, so he'll be in the system. I bet having the whole goalie development program going helped to acquire him over Nashville if indeed it was close. Some one in this guy's position is going to want to go to the kind of program with a good track record of development so we're winning out on that. Props to management on this front.

Reactions: sundance74

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
This is even better than I expected for solving the goalie exposure issue. I figured we'd be needing to acquire both a defenseman and goalie in various off-season deals and it would lower the return just to get one tacked on. It's just a little bit more flexibility is all. And of course he's not getting selected, so he'll be in the system. I bet having the whole goalie development program going helped to acquire him over Nashville if indeed it was close. Some one in this guy's position is going to want to go to the kind of program with a good track record of development so we're winning out on that. Props to management on this front.
He can’t be exposed. This is an ELC.

XX

Waiting for Ishbia
Dec 10, 2002
PHX
He can’t be exposed. This is an ELC.

Not sure where you got that from. Exempt is not the same as being unable to expose them. A goalie on their ELC in their third year pro would need protecting. Prosvetov and Tendeck are exempt, so they don't take a slot, but I believe the team could theoretically expose them to fulfill the requirement. There's no GP requirement with goalies.

Mosby

<3 Uncle Gary
Feb 16, 2012
Toronto
I am still confused as to why we could use Chad Johnson, a pending UFA, as our exposed goalie to Vegas but can't do the same with Antti Raanta, a pending UFA, as our exposed goalie to Seattle? What am I missing here?

rt

May 13, 2004
Not sure where you got that from. Exempt is not the same as being unable to expose them. A goalie on their ELC in their third year pro would need protecting. Prosvetov and Tendeck are exempt, so they don't take a slot, but I believe the team could theoretically expose them to fulfill the requirement. There's no GP requirement with goalies.
There’s a three pro seasons under an SPC requirement from what I understand. He has just signed the first SPC and therefore has zero pro seasons played. That’s what Twitter says, anyway. FWIW - LOL.

I mistook ELC for 1st SPC. They aren’t the same, necessarily. I’m in over my head here, but I guess Czech league games don’t count. At least not for players who had never signed an ELC/SPC. Maybe even for those that had. I’m not sure. But it seems like for those that hadn’t (like Vejmelka) they didn’t count as pro seasons.

XX

Waiting for Ishbia
Dec 10, 2002
PHX
There is a technicality with Vejmelka. Because he was never actually signed to a contract by Nashville, his accrued pro years don't really count for the purposes of expansion, making him exempt. Exempt players are truly exempt and can't be exposed, even if you wanted to do so. Had he been under contract but playing overseas and simply lapsed, he would likely count towards exposure.

So they really want him for Tucson and the issue of needing to make a trade continues.

rt

May 13, 2004
Thanks! Looks like I had it backward. Johnson was the goalie we protected.

Anyway, let's trade Kuemper before we lose him.

Edit: What an absolute pile of shit players we exposed to Vegas. Like who tf is Joe Whitney? :laugh:
Need to trade Kuemper. But also need to find some way to get some goalie in here that meets the exposure requirement.

Sabres fans are down for Kuemper for Ristolainen. They like it. But when I asked for Tokarski to expose they’re like “nah, we need him for that”.

Mosby

<3 Uncle Gary
Feb 16, 2012
Toronto
How many goalies are available that meet that requirement?

I have zero interest in re-signing Raanta to meet that requirement. He won't get claimed and we'll just be stuck with him.

rt

May 13, 2004
There is a technicality with Vejmelka. Because he was never actually signed to a contract by Nashville, his accrued pro years don't really count for the purposes of expansion, making him exempt. Exempt players are truly exempt and can't be exposed, even if you wanted to do so. Had he been under contract but playing overseas and simply lapsed, he would likely count towards exposure.

So they really want him for Tucson and the issue of needing to make a trade continues.
Could we sign Chad Johnson or Mike Condon?

XX

Waiting for Ishbia
Dec 10, 2002
PHX
Could we sign Chad Johnson or Mike Condon?

As long as they can pass a medical, it might be possible. The player has to be capable of playing but there's no language about missed time due to being bad. The league would probably not be too thrilled about it.

hbk

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Visit site
Are we worried about losing Hill? Do we think that Hill is better than Jake Allen, Drieger, Halak?

Reactions: Jakey53

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->