News Article: Coyotes Sign Ekman-Larsson to Six-Year Contract

Sciamachy

Shadow Coyote
Jan 31, 2008
Love this signing :handclap:. now get Boeds locked up and I'm a happy boy.

Per capgeek, money per year:

13-14: 3.5M
14-15: 4M
15-16: 6M
16-17: 6M
17-18: 6.5M
18-19: 7M

Blubba Jenkins

Not that Insightful
May 30, 2008
NE Florida
The year by year breakdown, starting next season, for OEL: $3.5M, $4.0M, $6.0M, $6.0M, $6.5M, $7.0M.

https://twitter.com/TSNBobMcKenzie/status/312767688885817344

Probably backloaded so we can get our **** together. Hopefully the ownership situation will be resolved by '18-'19 although it would make a great sitcom if it wasn't. What a team player. He left a lot of money on the table by not seeing what offer sheets might come his way.

Shepard

Apr 13, 2012
Amazing deal. Love that he left money on the table and gave us two UFA years. Shows his commitment to the team.

TheLegend

Megathread Gadfly
Aug 30, 2009
Buzzing BoH
Agree 100%. Screw you Mike Smith.

:huh:

Smith and Maloney came to a mutual agreement to hold off contract talks until after the season or the ownership issue was resoved.... whichever came first.

GMDM was sort of forced to get this done..... after seeing what went down with O'Reilly and the Avs, OEL would have been getting max-year offers in the $8-9 Million per range had this gone to the summer, and the Yotes would have been forced to match.

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
Nah. I kinda agree with Jake on this. Smith should be falling at the feet of Tippett and Maloney thanking them for his existence. He'd have spent last season in the AHL and would be in the Swiss league this season if it weren't for them. I'm not trying to take away from what he did for us, but the script was already written for him when this team went against conventional wisdom and gambled their entire season on him. He did step up. No doubt. He gets to own that, but it never would've happened for him. If any player should be showing gratitude, it ought to be this player. More so than Doan or OEL, that's for sure.

RABBIT

Years of my life w you f*cks only to get relocated
Nah. I kinda agree with Jake on this. Smith should be falling at the feet of Tippett and Maloney thanking them for his existence. He'd have spent last season in the AHL and would be in the Swiss league this season if it weren't for them. I'm not trying to take away from what he did for us, but the script was already written for him when this team went against conventional wisdom and gambled their entire season on him. He did step up. No doubt. He gets to own that, but it never would've happened for him. If any player should be showing gratitude, it ought to be this player. More so than Doan or OEL, that's for sure.

I agree as well. I like Mike Smith, it took me a while, but it happened. He's turned into a great athlete in our organization. With that said, WE took a shot on him, and WE reallllllly rolled the dice. When Maloney saw his potential, he and Burke worked very hard to get him to where he is today. He should be thankful that he is a number one goalie. We really have no idea what happens behind the scenes, maybe there is some sort of agreement between he and Maloney as mentioned before, so I won't go too hard on the guy. Afterall, this ownership mess is ridiculously frustrating, but if he is holding out not for security, but for money...I want nothing to do with him.

At the end of the day, I'm confident this will all be worked out, and Smith will continue to be our goaltender for years to come.

XX

Waiting for Ishbia
Dec 10, 2002
PHX
I have serious concerns about giving Mike Smith money and term. I have zero issue paying OEL the moon. Money well invested. Would have preferred 8 years, but ill take it.

CREW99AW

Mar 12, 2002
Love this signing :handclap:. now get Boeds locked up and I'm a happy boy.

Per capgeek, money per year:

13-14: 3.5M
14-15: 4M
15-16: 6M
16-17: 6M
17-18: 6.5M
18-19: 7M

Great job by the Coyotes gm. He gets his young star locked up in a deal, that fits into the team budget and avoids a possible offersheet.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
I have serious concerns about giving Mike Smith money and term. I have zero issue paying OEL the moon. Money well invested. Would have preferred 8 years, but ill take it.

I agree. He has been playing only average this year with a S% under 9. I know the defense has not been as strong in front of him, but maybe he's not as good as we all think. We have no idea what goes on behind those closed doors, but I would think Maloney is not very pleased. I do not buy that BS they have an agreement to talk after the season. What I read is that Smith will not talk until the ownership is solved. Poor baby.

hbk

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Visit site
That's a very team friendly structured contract. OEL could have easily garnered a much more front loaded contract that paid him more money in the first year than he makes in any of his UFA years in this deal. We paid up in years 3-6 but even then I would suggest OEL left some cash on the table.

I love Maloney. Can't say enough positives about his time here. He's built this team and this organization to one that is respected on the ice.

DesertDawg

Mar 6, 2002
Superstition Mts
ridefree.net

I disagree
It seems like a 2-way street. DM and DT (and the Coyotes) needed Smith as much as Smith needs the system that the Coyotes play. I also believe that people are overreacting to the goalie that gave the Coyotes their best season (and at a relatively low salary).
Or am I missing something, didn't he say that he is waiting to gauge the ownership saga before making a decision on his life. Heck he doesn't even know who will be running the show next season. If I was him, I wouldn't want to be staying if Tip & DM leaves.

I also don't believe that a team will offer him more money than the Coyotes...

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
I disagree
It seems like a 2-way street. DM and DT (and the Coyotes) needed Smith as much as Smith needs the system that the Coyotes play. I also believe that people are overreacting to the goalie that gave the Coyotes their best season (and at a relatively low salary).
Or am I missing something, didn't he say that he is waiting to gauge the ownership saga before making a decision on his life. Heck he doesn't even know who will be running the show next season. If I was him, I wouldn't want to be staying if Tip & DM leaves.

I also don't believe that a team will offer him more money than the Coyotes...

I guess we agree to disagree.

XX

Waiting for Ishbia
Dec 10, 2002
PHX
I disagree
It seems like a 2-way street.

Mike Smith's NHL career is over without Don Maloney showing some faith. Tippett was a huge (positive) reference. He shouldn't be deluded into thinking he is somehow a $5 million starter somewhere else. You've got Bryzgalov as ample proof of what happens to those that leave the goalie friendly system here. It should be more about the Coyotes and if they want him back. I wouldn't pay him more than $4 a year. Not when he has his tantrums and injury issues.

Sean Burke can likely turn any 6'3+ goalie into a starter, in this system. It's really not in the best interests of the Coyotes to pay any goalie $5 million+ considering that. Certainly not one with injury and consistency issues.

I'd try to pry Lindback out of Tampa if at all possible.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
Awesome. Love the backloaded structure. What a kid!

**** Kyle turris.

I agree. Its nice to see some players appreciate their God given talent and not hold others hostage. If anyone could have, it was OEL.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
Mike Smith's NHL career is over without Don Maloney showing some faith. Tippett was a huge (positive) reference. He shouldn't be deluded into thinking he is somehow a $5 million starter somewhere else. You've got Bryzgalov as ample proof of what happens to those that leave the goalie friendly system here. It should be more about the Coyotes and if they want him back. I wouldn't pay him more than $4 a year. Not when he has his tantrums and injury issues.

Sean Burke can likely turn any 6'3+ goalie into a starter, in this system. It's really not in the best interests of the Coyotes to pay any goalie $5 million+ considering that. Certainly not one with injury and consistency issues.

Maybe Smith can join Bryz in the unemployment line after the season. Now, that would be justice.:laugh:

DesertDawg

Mar 6, 2002
Superstition Mts
ridefree.net

I think Bishop would do good under Tip.
I also don't see any other team offering MS more than $4mil.
IMO, a goalie with good puck handling skills will do good in Tip's system.

hbk

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Visit site
I understand why people would expect some degree of gratitude from Smith; however,I also understand that he wants to know where he's going to live, cost of living in that market, taxes he's got pay, net income, where his kids will go to school, etc. it's a huge life decision and this is his only chance to cash in.

DesertDawg

Mar 6, 2002
Superstition Mts
ridefree.net
I understand why people would expect some degree of gratitude from Smith; however,I also understand that he wants to know where he's going to live, cost of living in that market, taxes he's got pay, net income, where his kids will go to school, etc. it's a huge life decision and this is his only chance to cash in.

And Like I said in an earlier post. No one knows for certain who will coach or who the GM will be next season.

And when I posted about GMDM needing Smith in was in reference to last season after Bryz left and the 'Yotes was left without options and a budget constrain.

KG

Sep 23, 2010
Only bad news about this deal is now I can't decide between a OEL or Hanzal jersey. :/

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad