Confirmed with Link: Coyotes Sign Adin Hill to a 1 year, Two-Way Contract

RABBIT

Years of my life w you f*cks only to get relocated
This move is curious to me. Either Adin Hill believes that he is worth more then he was offered so he accepted a one-year "prove-it" deal, or the Coyotes are seeing if he can steal a spot before deciding whether or not to cut bait

SniperHF

Rejecting Reports
Mar 9, 2007
Phoenix
This move is curious to me. Either Adin Hill believes that he is worth more then he was offered so he accepted a one-year "prove-it" deal, or the Coyotes are seeing if he can steal a spot before deciding whether or not to cut bait

By taking the 1 year qualifying offer he might be able to push for a 1 way deal sooner depending on what happens this year.

BUX7PHX

Jul 7, 2011
Hill should not be a part of the Coyotes this year, but next year, we should see him at least in a backup role, with a chance to simply return to Tucson. By the 2020-21 season, Prosvetov should have carved a little niche for himself in Tucson as well.

Wouldn't surprise me one bit if this season was pretty much Raanta vs Kuemper. Good timing on the contract part. If Kuemper proves to be more valuable and/or Raanta struggles with health, we sign Kuemper long term (4+ years) and keep Raanta on for the final year of his deal with Hill in Tucson for the 20-21 season. We expose Raanta and can offer a pick to Seattle to take him in the 2021 draft as a free agent and Seattle can figure out what to value him at. Actually, that is a good way to work things out, because Seattle can overpay a shorter term deal to ensure cap compliance with Raanta as a 25-40 game backup type. Raanta could also be considered a tradeable asset to a different team after going through Seattle. If Kuemper is not the answer and Raanta is healthy and plays well, then let Kuemper walk or try to gain value via trade. Sign Hill to a 3 year deal this offseason and get cheaper labor starting a year early.

Let's say that Kuemper has a season like he had last year in 55 games, Raanta struggles with health again, and we feel comfortable with Kuemper assuming the #1 role in future years. What gets Kuemper to stay long term? $5.0 M AAV @ 4 years?

Reactions: Summer Rose

Name Nameless

Don't go more than 10 seconds back on challenges
Apr 12, 2017
This was a golden opportunity to spend money without having it going on the cap.

With a 1-way deal, it should have been possible to make him sign it longer, keeping the AAV down.

hbk

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Visit site
This was a golden opportunity to spend money without having it going on the cap.

With a 1-way deal, it should have been possible to make him sign it longer, keeping the AAV down.
Why would his agent sign that? He can leverage a 1 way deal next year this way. That’s what matters to the player. No agent is going to recommend a two way long-term deal and with $185K in cap space we can’t offer above $1.1M AAV on a 1 way.

Reactions: Jakey53

Name Nameless

Don't go more than 10 seconds back on challenges
Apr 12, 2017
Why would his agent sign that? He can leverage a 1 way deal next year this way. That’s what matters to the player. No agent is going to recommend a two way long-term deal and with $185K in cap space we can’t offer above $1.1M AAV on a 1 way.

I was thinking 1 mill dollars guaranteed this year would have counted for something. So that's why. I do of course not know what kind of leverage it would give, if that could have given a 2 year on 1 mill, or better (for the team, as in longer). I also assumed pushing the minor-salary up to 1 mill could have given a longer deal, with a not so high NHL-salary, even if that could have gone over the 1.1 mill limit.

But he is signed at least. For now.

TheLegend

Megathread Gadfly
Aug 30, 2009
Buzzing BoH
Reading Cat’s comment I posted above this was a one year “show us what you got” contract.

Because Prosvetov is lurking in the weeds and if the staff is as high on him as much as people say they are, Hill is going to have to give them a real reason to possibly move Kuemper or Raanta at the TDL this coming spring.

Mosby

Fire Bettman
Feb 16, 2012
Toronto
2019-20: Raanta and Kuemper
2020-21: Raanta and Hill
2021-22: Hill and Prosvetov
2022-23: Prosvetov and Newbackup

I think that's how it plays out, given all the current facts.

Reactions: Mangosteen

BUX7PHX

Jul 7, 2011
2019-20: Raanta and Kuemper
2020-21: Raanta and Hill
2021-22: Hill and Prosvetov
2022-23: Prosvetov and Newbackup

I think that's how it plays out, given all the current facts.

Um, the 21-22 season would then feature a goalie tandem who are 25 and 22 years old. I don't see it happening that route.

This year, we make a decision on Kuemper or Raanta, IMO. I think that if Hill looks good in Tucson, and he gets some NHL time, we may deal Raanta at the deadline with the idea of Kuemper signing long-term in the offseason and Hill as his backup. By the time the 21-22 season rolls around, we would be dealing with Hill/Prosvetov as potential backups with Kuemper starting. Hopefully, that would start to segue into one of those two being potential starters in the 22-23 season and beyond. At the start of the 22-23 season, Kuemper would be 32 years old, Hill 26 and Prosvetov 23. I think that Prosvetov could move from AHL to NHL after that season, assuming Hill is still ahead of him. If Prosvetov is ahead of Hill, Hill probably is out backup until 21-22 and then gone in FA.

Mosby

Fire Bettman
Feb 16, 2012
Toronto
Fair point. This is as much a make or break year for Hill as it is for our other two goalies.

NORiculous

Jan 13, 2006
Montreal
Seems like a logical move to me.

Hill gets a chance to prove something when injuries hit and team gets a tender that wants to prove he has his place on a two way. win - win.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad