Rumor: Coyotes Rumored to be Interested in Ilya Lyubushkin from the KHL

Grimes

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 5, 2012
Tippet's Doghouse
Interesting about Lyubushkin. That should put some pressyre on KConn amd Schenn if they want to re-sign and maybe lower their cost. When's the last time we brought someone over from Europe?

lanky

Feeling Spicy
Jun 23, 2007
Winnipeg
Looks like a Schenn replacement. He's never put up much offense. He's big, shoots right and he's in his prime (just turned 24).

Reactions: kbay

SniperHF

Rejecting Reports
Mar 9, 2007
Phoenix
A defenseman who can skate a bit in addition to being physical would be a good thing.

Goalie kinda Domingue'd that one but Schenn wouldn't be able to pick up the puck in the opposite corner and take advantage of a tired unit like that.

Reactions: Yandover

Bonsai Tree

Turning a new leaf
Feb 2, 2014
I don't get it. Why go to all that trouble to bring in someone from the KHL to play on our 3rd pairing? You can pick up a 3rd line defenseman without that much trouble. If your going through the time and hassle to grab someone off of a Russian team, why not pick up a top 4 RHD or a first or second line RW?

SniperHF

Rejecting Reports
Mar 9, 2007
Phoenix
I don't get it. Why go to all that trouble to bring in someone from the KHL to play on our 3rd pairing? You can pick up a 3rd line defenseman without that much trouble.

I think the idea is you take a chance on these guys every once in a while in that they might have some untapped upside. Sure he might just be a third pairing guy. But maybe he's got more game then that and it would really translate on small ice?

Where as with just signing a 30 year old vet to play on the third pair you know mostly what you are going to get. I'd guess they still sign one of these types anyway if KConn leaves. As we saw this year you need a lot of depth there. Or a few PTOs.

If your going through the time and hassle to grab someone off of a Russian team, why not pick up a top 4 RHD or a first or second line RW?

I would guess there's an economic incentive for the higher end Russian players to stay (thus they aren't as available)
But the middling types have a better reason to leave. Conditions, see the world, potentially money.

This is from a few years ago, but the 30th ranked salary in the KHL was 1.05 million. So I imagine there are a lot of players in the KHL who would make more money here if they stuck on the NHL squad.

So a combination of untapped potential and which KHLers actually come over.

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
I don't get it. Why go to all that trouble to bring in someone from the KHL to play on our 3rd pairing? You can pick up a 3rd line defenseman without that much trouble. If your going through the time and hassle to grab someone off of a Russian team, why not pick up a top 4 RHD or a first or second line RW?
Professional scouting. Artemi Panarin wasn’t viewed by NHL fans as necessarily a more exciting signing than Viktor Tikhonov.

_Del_

Jul 4, 2003
Plotnikov was viewed as approaching the same level as Panarin. One of those guys adjusted to the NHL much better/faster than the other. But I thought Plotnikov was decent as depth guys go. Should have gotten an extended look in the bottom six.

It's worth a roll of the dice.

The Feckless Puck

Registered Loser
Sponsor
Oct 26, 2006

To me it's pretty simple - we have Eastern European scouting resources and our luck with NHL UFAs has been mediocre at best for the past decade. Find hidden gems.

Reactions: Yandover and RemoAZ

Bonsai Tree

Turning a new leaf
Feb 2, 2014
Anybody notice that the names on the back of the Russian jerseys are in the Roman, not Cyrillic alphabet?

SniperHF

Rejecting Reports
Mar 9, 2007
Phoenix
Anybody notice that the names on the back of the Russian jerseys are in the Roman, not Cyrillic alphabet?

Even though Russia has most of the teams, when the league was making its big push 5 years ago or so they put a lot of emphasis on being multi national. Now there is a team in Finland for example.

At one point ESPN 3 was even showing some KHL games in the early morning. Don't think they do anymore though.

Summer Rose

Red Like Roses
Sponsor
May 3, 2012
Gainesville, Florida

I've noticed this too. When I first started checking out KHL games in around 2009 or so they were in Cyrillic. In particular I saw one of the goalies with "ЭШ" on the back of his jersey and thought "What the hell kind of name is that? Oh! That's Robert Esche!

Ninja edit: was way off on the year

Reactions: Mosby

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad