Confirmed with Link: Coyotes Rookie Camp, Tournament & All Purpose GDT Sept. 7th-10th

TheGoldenJet

Apr 2, 2008
Coquitlam, BC
It will develop. I think he also realizes that his shot isn't at a level to scare anyone, so he is looking for shot placement. May not be a hard shot, but it forces the goalie to make the save and can get him out of position.

If he is able to work his way into keeping possession for our team the way he did here, that's half the battle right there.

I agree with your observation about Hayton’s shot. I do feel Hayton has shown he is developing well and playing well against his own age group.

That said, the lack of a pro level shot with Hayton is a sign to send him down.

If he is only going to get bottom 6 minutes, AND he cannot beat goalies when he does get a scoring chance due to a subpar (at the pro level) shot, it’s a sign that his confidence and/or development may take a hit if he plays in the NHL all year this season. We don’t want to force him into being a specific type of player and curb his budding offensive creativity, which after missing part of a season last year, should be allowed to continue to grow this year.

Foggy1097

Jan 14, 2014
Arizona
I agree with your observation about Hayton’s shot. I do feel Hayton has shown he is developing well and playing well against his own age group.

If he is only going to get bottom 6 minutes, AND he cannot beat goalies when he does get a scoring chance due to a subpar (at the pro level) shot, it’s a sign that his confidence and/or development may take a hit if he plays in the NHL all year this season. We don’t want to force him into being a specific type of player and curb his budding offensive creativity, which after missing part of a season last year, should be allowed to continue to grow this year.

Wouldn’t it be advantageous to have NHL coaching all year in practice though, to help develop his shot more? Being around a guy like Kessel and picking his brain for example, would be very helpful. Watching how guys work in practice, getting tips, and having NHL coaches around seems like a good way to go.

Reactions: Jakey53

TheGoldenJet

Apr 2, 2008
Coquitlam, BC
Wouldn’t it be advantageous to have NHL coaching all year in practice though, to help develop his shot more? Being around a guy like Kessel and picking his brain for example, would be very helpful. Watching how guys work in practice, getting tips, and having NHL coaches around seems like a good way to go.

Yes, and this is why he is going to participate in camp and preseason. I would even have him play a couple NHL games in October as well, before sending him down. But getting lots of icetime and PP opportunities on a good team while coming off an NHL camp would be very beneficial for his development.

tucknroll

Feb 13, 2015
Completely true, its better for progress to play with better players. He should by all means develop faster practising with NHL'ers than OHL'ers
Time on ice in games is a minor area of development. Playing 6-10 minutes a game but practising 5 days a week for an hour or more with NHL'ers, not to mention the training facilities and resources is a better option than getting 20+ minutes a game but practising less with players you're already better than and not being challenged by as much. Biggest problem would be if the coach is forcing the player to change his style to match a system that he doesn't fit in instead of adapting systems to work with the players. Tocchet in my opinion has not shown a consistent ability to adapt his systems or inform his assistants to do so. This would be my biggest worry.

Reactions: TheGoldenJet

Foggy1097

Jan 14, 2014
Arizona
Completely true, its better for progress to play with better players. He should by all means develop faster practising with NHL'ers than OHL'ers
Time on ice in games is a minor area of development. Playing 6-10 minutes a game but practising 5 days a week for an hour or more with NHL'ers, not to mention the training facilities and resources is a better option than getting 20+ minutes a game but practising less with players you're already better than and not being challenged by as much. Biggest problem would be if the coach is forcing the player to change his style to match a system that he doesn't fit in instead of adapting systems to work with the players. Tocchet in my opinion has not shown a consistent ability to adapt his systems or inform his assistants to do so. This would be my biggest worry.

Yeah, I think Tocchet is fairly progressive though and always has Chayka in his ear. They know he is a true center and that’s where they want him to be...Tocchet has already said he “doesn’t want to mess with him too much...” Even if he starts at wing he can work on his face off skills in practice a lot, take a few in certain situations in the games, and hopefully keep getting more and more comfortable as time goes on.

Name Nameless

Don't go more than 10 seconds back on challenges
Apr 12, 2017
Just watched the Youtube-uploads, thanks for them.

This game was very different than the one on Sunday. (Which was Saturday for you, right. ;-)) . Vegas really has sold off a lot of talent for their run. Knights did not look like they were even close. The score is mildly absurd, given Prosvetov was great. A goalie you have to be on a PP to score on, preferably 5 on 3. :laugh:

Have to score more. But let's blame it on bad luck. And all that fighting, breaking up the game, making it look bad.

The Feckless Puck

Registered Loser
Sponsor
Oct 26, 2006
Yes, and this is why he is going to participate in camp and preseason. I would even have him play a couple NHL games in October as well, before sending him down. But getting lots of icetime and PP opportunities on a good team while coming off an NHL camp would be very beneficial for his development.

Sending him to Canadian juniors is not going to do squat to develop NHL-ready shooting skills. From what I've seen of him so far, there's nothing he has left to learn at the juniors level. Yes, it sucks that he can't get seasoning in the AHL, but the only way he's going to mature as a player is through NHL ice time - even bottom six minutes.

XX

Waiting for Ishbia
Dec 10, 2002
PHX
Strome has a release that bantams can anticipate and block yet he still managed nearly a PPG. Smarts and positioning matter way more than raw shooting technique. Hayton wasn't drafted to be a 40 goal guy. He's more Stepan than high end scorer ala Laine or whatever. Adjust your expectations accordingly.

Vinny Boombatz

formerly ctwin22
Mar 21, 2008
Chandler, AZ
Can we at least shoot for Backstrom rather than Stepan. Just saying...if we're talking about a guy being more playmaker than goal scorer. If he is Backstrom lite, I'm going to be thrilled...if he is Stepan then I'm not going to be as pleased.

Reactions: Jakey53

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
You hit the nail on the head.

BlazingBlueAnt

Jul 12, 2014
Sounds, strange, but I see elements of Karlsson in soderstrom. Obviously not a direct comparison and way too early to say anything, but his composure and awareness with the puck and his ability to get off a "shifty" shot just reminds me of lot of Karlsson.

Reactions: DoanStopBelievin

XX

Waiting for Ishbia
Dec 10, 2002
PHX
Bahl is still very much a WIP off the puck. Still a bit unnerving to see a player that large moving around so fluidly.

DoanStopBelievin

Oct 6, 2017
Sounds, strange, but I see elements of Karlsson in soderstrom. Obviously not a direct comparison and way too early to say anything, but his composure and awareness with the puck and his ability to get off a "shifty" shot just reminds me of lot of Karlsson.
I know we are only judging him on what he’s done against his peers, who he should be out-talenting, but he has impressed the s*** out of me every time he’s been on the ice.

YotesFan47

Jun 16, 2012
Phoenix, Arizona USA

I just don't think that will be the case with Hayton. I really believe his development is going to be similar to Couts in Philly (I also thought Strome would take a similar development path). Couts was an amazing 3rd liner for them and once he was ready to fully transition into the top 6, blossomed into the 78 point two way star that he is today. Hayton very easily could have the same growth path and in 3 years time we could all be extremely happy fans due to it. Sending guys down is not always the right thing to do. Hayton has shown a lot of people that he appears NHL ready. If his shot and a bit of foot speed is all he needs to work on then the 3rd line is a great place for that. There is so much more he can gain by playing with the Coyotes this season that he otherwise would miss out on.

Name Nameless

Don't go more than 10 seconds back on challenges
Apr 12, 2017
It was a little black-out there. With some luck, you're just into that?

Edit: no, you are right. It doesn't work... :-(

Imaravencawcaw

Jul 19, 2018
I was using the Coyotes stream up until the national anthem then it died.

The Avs stream works for me though:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->