Coyotes Reverse Retro Jersey Discussion

The Feckless Puck

Registered Loser
Sponsor
Oct 26, 2006
I've never understood that. Are we the Arizona "sometimes" Lizards/Geckos/Gila Monsters? The moon at least ties in to the howling. Do Coyotes eat lizards? Hate when those little f***ers get in my house. I tell the dog it's his job to keep them out but he's not having it.

Lizards eat bugs like earwigs, so I let them stay in the house at least until my cats find them.

Interior Cascadian

Apr 2, 2007
Olympia, WA

Attachments

• C38749DF-001E-43E4-AF34-8543F5ECFA28.jpeg
    C38749DF-001E-43E4-AF34-8543F5ECFA28.jpeg
    299.7 KB · Views: 5
Reactions: Tanic

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
Oh good God. I leave for a bit and return home to find that the Coyotes will look like Christmas Tree ornaments on the ice.
I love that they’re ultra non traditional and I love the bright, crazy colors. I like that they’re a middle-finger to the rest of the hockey world. I just wish the trim was done better.

Reactions: Jakey53

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
Will they have little bells on their trim which will jingle as they rush up the ice?

OT: I just got married.
Congrats on the marriage! And @moosemeister congrats on the postponement!! ;)

Are you suggesting that the neon purple is feminine? Or juvenile or both or...?

I think the purple is great, personally. I love the primary logo and primary color. It’s just everything else I don’t like.

Reactions: Bonsai Tree

Bonsai Tree

Turning a new leaf
Feb 2, 2014
Congrats on the marriage! And @moosemeister congrats on the postponement!! ;)

Are you suggesting that the neon purple is feminine? Or juvenile or both or...?

I think the purple is great, personally. I love the primary logo and primary color. It’s just everything else I don’t like.
Neither feminine nor juvenile, just Christmas Tree ornamenty.

Reactions: RemoAZ

Heldig

Apr 12, 2002
BC
We have a kokapelli sun ornament in our garden. Interestingly, there are cacti in the design very similar to the Coyotes jersey.

Neighborhood Coyote

Sep 14, 2017
Latest tweet from the Coyotes features a design brief with a brand standards guide. Confirms the lizard is a Gecko.

Haha well I'll be... Guess I learned something new today.

Felt like Gila monster makes more sense then a gecko at least but damn!

I like that the name is Peyote Coyote on the head logo, though.

RemoAZ

Let it burn
Mar 30, 2010
Glendale, Arizona
Haha well I'll be... Guess I learned something new today.

Felt like Gila monster makes more sense then a gecko at least but damn!

I like that the name is Peyote Coyote on the head logo, though.

Neither make sense just like purple and orange don't make sense. But hey, we're the Coyotes. Dumbf***ery is what we excel at.

Canis Latrans

Jan 19, 2015
Australia
Neither make sense just like purple and orange don't make sense. But hey, we're the Coyotes. Dumbf***ery is what we excel at.
Purple and orange make sense color-wise, but I assume you're getting more at the encroachment onto the Suns' colors. I don't care for the jersey too, or the entire concept line the league has gone with here really, but it's clear that because they already have resurrected the kachina line, this is it in terms of retro jerseys without coming up with a new, dated look, kind of like how Las Vegas invented something entirely new. Plus, because they were doing a reverse on the color palette, you either were going to get an orange jersey or purple as those two colors were the only others of significance on the previous incarnation.

I'm sure a few of these jerseys across the league are going to stick and make it into teams' regular wardrobes, so in terms of that the reverse retros will be a success. I'm sure that they'll come up with another of these broad stretching themes for the entire league to do again sometime in the future to try and make things stick for this crop's duds, and surely nothing is stopping a team from coming out with another independently designed jersey in the meantime.

RemoAZ

Let it burn
Mar 30, 2010
Glendale, Arizona
Purple and orange make sense color-wise, but I assume you're getting more at the encroachment onto the Suns' colors. I don't care for the jersey too, or the entire concept line the league has gone with here really, but it's clear that because they already have resurrected the kachina line, this is it in terms of retro jerseys without coming up with a new, dated look, kind of like how Las Vegas invented something entirely new. Plus, because they were doing a reverse on the color palette, you either were going to get an orange jersey or purple as those two colors were the only others of significance on the previous incarnation.

I'm sure a few of these jerseys across the league are going to stick and make it into teams' regular wardrobes, so in terms of that the reverse retros will be a success. I'm sure that they'll come up with another of these broad stretching themes for the entire league to do again sometime in the future to try and make things stick for this crop's duds, and surely nothing is stopping a team from coming out with another independently designed jersey in the meantime.

I disagree. Purple and orange is the Suns but has zip to do with Arizona and a Kachina is authentic. Makes sense and would look cool to have a Kachina with authentic Arizona colors. I just think it was a wasted opportunity. We have so much potential with the Kachina theme. I thought getting a new owner, especially a Hispanic one would get us closer to being an "Arizona" team but I guess the Easter colors sell better to the masses and in the end, that's all they care about. Plus, bringing back the original Kachina and changing the colors on the new garbage cost them next to nothing if anything at all since there was no design change. That's why I'm not optimistic we'll see any independent design like you suggest. Always follow the money.

WrinkledPossum

Play Dead
Apr 23, 2016
These purple jerseys make a lot more sense then the rebrand to the Howling head.

Purple was a color of the team from the start with the moon logo which was at center ice.

You could say the red jerseys we have are influenced by the Cardinals which are next door.

Heldig

Apr 12, 2002
BC
From the brand book,
"The color palette: forest green, brick red, sand, sienna, and purple. "The colors, with exception of the purple, were drawn from a Native American palette,"

The Kachina head logo is IMO one of the best in sports.

StevenF1919

Oct 9, 2017
Edmonton
Wasn't even available on the Canadian NHL shop website and with shipping, duties, and exchange rate it comes out to over $400 on the US site. Please kill me.

Last edited:

WrinkledPossum

Play Dead
Apr 23, 2016
Ordered an OEL one today. He won me over with wanting to stay in Arizona. Loyalty to a city is so rare in sports now.

Wasn't even available on the Canadian NHL shop website and with shipping, duties, and exchange rate it comes out to over $400 on the US site. Please kill me.
I don't get why it isn't on there. Or any of the Kachina stuff. I see so many Canadians complain on Twitter that they can't get Kachina merch because of the shipping. Nearly all aren't fans but love the logo.

Reactions: Imaravencawcaw

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad