Coyotes Retro Draft Review - 2013

2013 Draft was an?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

SniperHF

Rejecting Reports
Mar 9, 2007
Phoenix
Haven't done one of these in a while, let's bring everyone down before tomorrow's press conference!

We did one for 2010

Unfortunately the poll results were purged in the move, but I can't imagine the results were all that good anyway.

We're not really worried about what they did for the Coyotes specifically, just what the players have done as NHLers.

On to 2013!
2013112Max DomiC/LW
2013239Laurent DauphinC
2013362Yan Pavel LaplanteC
20135133Connor CliftonD
20136163Brendan BurkeG
20137193Jedd SolewayC
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
Context: At this point the Coyotes were still chasing down their WCF run and not really sure what they were doing strategically. 6 picks were made, there was some pick trading on the floor to get Dauphin. Laplante IIRC had some injury issues and the team never signed him. I believe this is Knickle's last draft as chief scout guy.

My take: Domi is a first line-ish talent depending on the season and had a still underrated rookie season. Getting that type of player from back down at the 12 spot is pretty good particularly on the Coyotes curve, I'll call it a B. Would be nice if they found at least a fringe NHL talent in the later rounds but oh well.

Mosby

Fire Bettman
Feb 16, 2012
Toronto
Probably a 'C'. One of the best drafts in recent history and we only had 6 picks. Yikes.

Domi obviously became something. Laurent Dauphin is probably not even a call-up at this point (wherever the hell he is playing now). I liked Clifton's game in the playoffs. Never understood why we didn't give him more consideration.

Last edited:

hbk

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Visit site
I remember running into Treliving at memorial Cup and asking him if he liked Horvat or Domi. I wanted Horvat btw but he was gone by our pick.

Domi was a very good selection talent wise. I wonder how much the overbearing father was brushed under the carpet at that point with the thought process being that it wouldn’t be as bad at the nhl level.

Domi alone is enough for me to give it a B. I remember how excited management was about a Dauphin though so for him to just fail is disappointing. Clifton made it and is a good role player. Solidifies the B. Overall though it’s hard not to be disappointed.

Man I wanted Horvat.

hbk

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Visit site
I think this is the first and only draft we ever got the player I wanted ..Domi

Are any of these guys still with us?
I think Laplante is in Vancouver’s system. Dauphin we traded (again) last year. Neither look like they will make the show at anything more than a role player capacity at this point.

Clifton is a bottom pairing D w Boston. Hits well.

Mosby

Fire Bettman
Feb 16, 2012
Toronto
Those linked 2010-12 drafts are just embarrassing. 21 total picks and all we could produce was Connor Murphy, Jordan Martinook, and Louis Domingue.

Heldig

Apr 12, 2002
BC
Too bad the team gave up on a few of the best players they have drafted in the last several years (Domi, Strome). :ha:

Reactions: Matias Maccete

Grimes

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 5, 2012
Tippet's Doghouse
10 players selected in the 2nd round have 100+ games. Only one has over 200 (Lehkonen). McKinnon have 456. There were more impressive players selected in the 3rd (which we had the first pick in). We missed on Pesce, Guentzel, Janmark, Bjorkstrand and Duclair.

This draft was very deep in the 1st round but pretty spotty afterwards. I'll give it a B+ but because that isn't an option I'll lean on the A side because we nailed the 1st round, no forward is in the same realm as Domi after the 13th pick so we got BPA at that spot, and even though we missed throughout the rest of the draft, most of the teams did as well.

Mangosteen

Ground hog day no more
Apr 9, 2018
Too bad the team gave up on a few of the best players they have drafted in the last several years (Domi, Strome). :ha:

This year will tell us if Domi has skills or just an attitude problem. Same with Strome. If they have a successful year then I will say the Yotes missed used them. All I remember is Domi after whistle crap. Had potential but then broke his hand fighting a fight he should never of been a part of.

Neighborhood Coyote

Sep 14, 2017
I went with a C because we now have none of those players on the roster in 2019 with none possible either. They did well enough with the actual draft but didn't end up keeping any of the players so that dampens the grade for me. In a vacuum... I give a B/B+.

Imaravencawcaw

Jul 19, 2018
6 picks and you get 2 NHL players, one of whom looks to be a 1st liner, is an A for drafting. Now.... developing and managing those players to keep them on your team gets a super F- grade.

Reactions: Matias Maccete

WrinkledPossum

Play Dead
Apr 23, 2016
I think if Domi was with us last year and he had that same production most would give it an A out of bias. I'm a bit sour about the trade and want to give it a B but I'll give it an A regardless. I can't remember our last pick who put up 72 points.

I think to really know we have to give it another year. Was Domi's 72 points a fluke? Will his production hold there or even go up? Tough to say.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad