Coyotes Retro Draft Review - 2012

SniperHF

Rejecting Reports
Mar 9, 2007
Phoenix
Did a few of these last year: 2010,2011

So in 2012 after the WCF run the team had the #27 pick and 7 others.

#27 - Henrik Samuelsson - C
#58 - Jordan Martinook - C/W
#88 - James Melindy - D
#102 - Rhett Holland - D
#148 - Niklas Tikkinen - D
#178 - Hunter Fejes - LW
#184 - Marek Langhamer - G
#208 - Justin Hache - D

My Take: Martinook saves this class from being a likely complete loss. And Martinook himself was seen as a WTF pick at the time as I recall. But even with Martinook it's not great. Still stuck in the sons of NHLers era of Coyotes Drafting, I don't think Henrik ever had huge upside but his injuries derailed what was there.

Langhamer seems like a solid pick for a 7th, even if he's just a serviceable AHL guy. Getting 0 GP out of 4 defenseman seems like a failure that went under the radar among the bigger name D busts around here. Obviously you don't expect some of those later picks to pan out but you'd hope for someone who at least deserved a look at one point.

Grade: D

lanky

Feeling Spicy
Jun 23, 2007
Winnipeg
I voted C, which is generous based on what we got but there was very little available at our picks.

hbk

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Visit site
B. Took a ballsy move by our head of scouting to go against an entire staff to grab his guy in Martinook. Cost him his job but he was right.

SniperHF

Rejecting Reports
Mar 9, 2007
Phoenix
I agree with your reasoning but he's still a bottom 6er.

Put another way, if Martinook didn't hit I don't think the team's fortunes are notably different.

ck26

Alcoholab User
Jan 31, 2007
HCanes Bandwagon
One bottom 6 NHL'er, a goalie kicking around in the minors, two guys we just traded away for nothing, a guy we didn't qualify last summer and three guys we never even signed.

D

Only reason it's not an F is because we were drafting at the end of the round as so our 1st top 10 or anything.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
I agree with your reasoning but he's still a bottom 6er.

Put another way, if Martinook didn't hit I don't think the team's fortunes are notably different.

What did you expect from the #58 pick? Most in that range never make the NHL.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
Did a few of these last year: 2010,2011

So in 2012 after the WCF run the team had the #27 pick and 7 others.

#27 - Henrik Samuelsson - C
#58 - Jordan Martinook - C/W
#88 - James Melindy - D
#102 - Rhett Holland - D
#148 - Niklas Tikkinen - D
#178 - Hunter Fejes - LW
#184 - Marek Langhamer - G
#208 - Justin Hache - D

My Take: Martinook saves this class from being a likely complete loss. And Martinook himself was seen as a WTF pick at the time as I recall. But even with Martinook it's not great. Still stuck in the sons of NHLers era of Coyotes Drafting, I don't think Henrik ever had huge upside but his injuries derailed what was there.

Langhamer seems like a solid pick for a 7th, even if he's just a serviceable AHL guy. Getting 0 GP out of 4 defenseman seems like a failure that went under the radar among the bigger name D busts around here. Obviously you don't expect some of those later picks to pan out but you'd hope for someone who at least deserved a look at one point.

Grade: D

That might be a bit harsh. Don forget Samuelsson was progressing very well then ran into injury problems. You can not forecast injuries. This proves again how the draft is a big crap shoot.

Last edited:

Heldig

Apr 12, 2002
BC
D based on results. 1 serviceable player on a draft and develop team is a bad result.

Mosby

Salt Lake Bound
Feb 16, 2012
Toronto
F. This is failure. Eight picks and the best we can come up with is an at-best third liner? And you can argue that burning a second rounder on a player like Martinook generally isn't a good move (it paid off here, thankfully).

30 teams picked in this draft and I'd venture that no one got a worse ROI on their picks than the Coyotes.

I think rating any higher on this draft would unfairly boost the mark of other Coyotes' draft classes (i.e., a draft class that is a "C" or "B" is awarded an "A").

Vinny Boombatz

formerly ctwin22
Mar 21, 2008
Chandler, AZ
It has to be a "D". We got 1 useful player and he's a bottom 6er.

As far as draft grades go in my opinion:

A = 3+ players make NHL (1 being a top 6 player) - drops to a B if all players are bottom 6ers
B = 2+ players make NHL (1 being a top 6 player) - increases to an A if you get a top 30 player in the league
C = 2 players make NHL (both being bottom 6), bumps to a B if 1 is a top 6 player
D = 1 player makes NHL, bumps to a C if the 1 player is a top 6
F = 0 players make NHL

SniperHF

Rejecting Reports
Mar 9, 2007
Phoenix
What did you expect from the #58 pick? Most in that range never make the NHL.

Martinook is a very good result out of a 2nd.
Getting one bottom 6 player doesn't save an entire class was my point.

Most 2nds actually do make the NHL, what they don't do is stick. Only 30% or so (depends on the year range) play more than 100 games.

Even 3rd and 4th rounders tend to get a cup of coffee, 40-45% or so. Their hit rate is around 15% > 100 games though.

zerekstar

Dec 5, 2010
Thunderbay, On (Kakabeka Falls)
D. It was a horrible draft for the coyotes. Would have voted F if Martinook had not made it. Too many disappointing drafts which is why we have not seen many wins. But this on the heels of the previous two years of mediocre to lousy drafts, was just too much to excuse. Murphy was the best we could come up with out of 3 drafts. Unacceptable IMHO.

Gwyddbwyll

Dec 24, 2002
F. This is failure.

30 teams picked in this draft and I'd venture that no one got a worse ROI on their picks than the Coyotes.

I nodded my head in agreement. I also voted F as it looks awful. It's not just that they didnt make the NHL, it's that so many of those picks never progressed at all.

However it's unfair to the progress Martinook and Langhamer did make and we all know Henrik was derailed by injuries. 3 out of 8 did develop some way.

But the whole 2012 draft looks awful doesnt it? But again the numbers dont stack up.. 95 players reached the NHL, almost half the draftees. In 2013, 81 reached the NHL. In the year before 2011, 111 reached it. Nice and linear - no massive dip for the year.

Did the Coyotes really draft that badly? As I usually find, they're actually fairly typical. Look at the drafts of the teams immediately around their position..

Vancouver - Gaunce, Mallet, Hutton, Myron, Beattie - 220 games
New York - Skjei, Nieves, Andersson, Spelling - 88 games
New Jersey - Matteau, Severson, Johnson, Thomson, Black, Kerfoot, Gavrus - 261 games

Kaibur

Jan 23, 2009
Phoenix, AZ
For a team that badly needs its draft & development to pan out, I don't think it can get a lot worse. If all you come away with is a bottom 6 player in Martinook, it's been a really poor draft cycle. F

I wanted Phil Di Giuseppe at 28th, Tim Bozon at 58th, and Gemel Smith at 88th. Not great.

hbk

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Visit site
A very good draft is when you land 2 players that play 200 games in NHL.

We have 1 player in Martinook who will accomplish that out of this draft which makes AZ average.

The key that is hilarious in hindsight is we would have had zero had our Director of Scouting not ignored an entire scouting staff and lost his job in process by selecting Martinook.

What is point of debating the fact we were run on the cheap and our scouting department was hopelessly underfunded in 2012. It's common knowledge and virtually everyone is gone and replaced.

Kaizen

Sep 30, 2004
Prince George B.C.
The key that is hilarious in hindsight is we would have had zero had our Director of Scouting not ignored an entire scouting staff and lost his job in process by selecting Martinook.

That's not quite right. We would have chosen someone else with that pick and it could have been Parayko or Gostisbehere or another player that has/will play some NHL games.

The question that jumps to mind for me is did Knickle have any other names he was enamoured with but deferred to his staff?

Is Knickle doing any scouting work now? Maybe there's a place for him scouting the dub for Bernhardt? They're both former 'tenders so they're bound to get along. ;) He might be better suited to a more hands on position as opposed to further up the hierarchy.

Last edited:

hbk

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Visit site
That's not quite right. We would have chosen someone else with that pick and it could have been Parayko or Gostisbehere or another player that has/will play some NHL games.

The question that jumps to mind for me is did Knickle have any other names he was enamoured with but deferred to his staff?

Is Knickle doing any scouting work now? Maybe there's a place for him scouting the dub for Bernhardt? They're both former 'tenders so they're bound to get along. ;) He might be better suited to a more hands on position as opposed to further up the hierarchy.

Id love it if after 5 years teams released their draft lists.

I highly doubt we had the names you highlighted on our list at that spot. I don't get the sense that we should any faith that they were miraculously going to nail it. We were hopelessly outgunned at the draft. We went into an exam having only watched the movie; hoping to guess right.

Kaizen

Sep 30, 2004
Prince George B.C.
Id love it if after 5 years teams released their draft lists.

I highly doubt we had the names you highlighted on our list at that spot. I don't get the sense that we should any faith that they were miraculously going to nail it. We were hopelessly outgunned at the draft. We went into an exam having only watched the movie; hoping to guess right.

I think you've probably been a fan of the franchise as long as I have hbk so I can understand your pessimistic viewpoint but I was only suggesting the possibility we had another NHL'er next on the list. The odds are still stacked against that being the case but its not absolutely out of the realm of the possible. :laugh:

hbk

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Visit site
I think you've probably been a fan of the franchise as long as I have hbk so I can understand your pessimistic viewpoint but I was only suggesting the possibility we had another NHL'er next on the list. The odds are still stacked against that being the case but its not absolutely out of the realm of the possible. :laugh:

Even a blind squirrel finds a nut in the woods.

Mosby

Salt Lake Bound
Feb 16, 2012
Toronto
But the whole 2012 draft looks awful doesnt it?

No doubt.

Martinook was a 58th overall pick. Five years later, he has 50 NHL points, which ranks him 22nd in his draft class. He's essentially averaged 25 points over each of the past two seasons. If he can do the same in 2017-18, bringing his career total to 75 points, he's likely just outside the top 15 of this draft class.

Is Knickle doing any scouting work now?

Amateur scout for Columbus in 2015-16, but doesn't appear to be with a team right now. He's not listed on the Jackets' site.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad