Coyotes Retro Draft Review - 2011

SniperHF

Rejecting Reports
Mar 9, 2007
Phoenix
So now we're going back to 2011.

The Coyotes had 8 picks this year after only have 5 the year before., including one second rounder all the way from the Carcillo trade.

#20 - Connor Murphy - D
#51 - Alexander Ruuttu - F
#56 - Lucas Lessio - LW
#84 - Harrison Ruopp - D
#111 - Kale Kessy - LW
#141 - Darian Dziurzynski - LW
#155 - Andrew Fritsch - RW
#196 - Zac Larraza - F

My take: This is clearly the Murphy draft plus a bunch of nobodies. The team managed to swap Kessy for Tobias Rieder so that's nice, but you don't get credit for it on a draft review from me.

Murphy makes this class a C given that the first rounder is panning out and still has upside. The rest of the draft is basically a waste though, which can happen to any team from time to time after the first round.

XX

Waiting for Ishbia
Dec 10, 2002
PHX
Ruuttu pick was so ****ing stupid, even by Coyotes standards. I'd love to know what the hell happened.

Blubba Jenkins

Not that Insightful
May 30, 2008
NE Florida
I'll give them a C. Considering that 2011 was fairly weak and it was late in the first-round, getting Connor Murphy was very nice. Especially because defense wasn't a need at the time and lot of the picks after him were real duds. Objectively I guess it should be noted that Boone Jenner and Brandon Saad were also projected in the first round, but we could have done worse.

As for the rest of the draft they whiffed. And hey, getting anything past the first round in a bad draft is a blessing, but major points were taken away for the Ruutu pick. The seventh round is when you piss away picks for sentiment. :shakehead

PhoPhan

Feb 27, 2002
I give it a D. The results alone make it a C+ at best, but the logic behind the picks make it even worse. Murphy turned out just fine, but that Ruuttu pick is really embarrassing. Ruopp, Kessy and Dziurzynski were all drafted with 3rd pairing/4th line upside, which is always a waste of a pick. Those sorts of players are available for free at any time. It's not worth investing time to develop them. Aim a little higher. You'll probably end up growing more of your own players in those roles anyway, and there's at least a chance one of them turns into something more serviceable.

hbk

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Visit site
I gave it a C because I loved Murphy pick. Truthfully that rating is high. Should have been lower.

Everything else was a disaster. Is this the draft before we fired Keith Gretzky?

We salvaged Kessey pick by trading for Reider (who we passed on that round to select Kessey)

I'm starting to lose my fear on dealing mid to late round picks. Essentially worthless.

Matias Maccete

Chopping up defenses
Sep 21, 2014
I'm a huge Murphy fan but one NHL player isn't cutting it. Besides lessio did anyone else even play an NHL game?

Mosby

Salt Lake Bound
Feb 16, 2012
Toronto
Everything else was a disaster. Is this the draft before we fired Keith Gretzky?

This was his last draft according to Wikipedia. Then Knickle directed 2012 and 2013. Bernhardt is 2014 on.

Gretzky first rounders (2006-11): Mueller, Summers, Turris, Ross, Boedker, Tikhonov, OEL, Gormley, Visentin, Murphy

Knickle first rounders (2012-13): Samuelsson, Domi

Bernhardt first rounders (2014-): Perlini, Strome, Merkley, Keller, Chychrun

---

Gretzky - other noteworthy picks: Darling (153rd/2007), Stone (69th/2008), Lindberg (57th/2010), Domingue (138th/2010)

Knickle - other noteworthy picks: Martinook (58th/2012), Langhamer (184th/2012), Dauphin (39th/2013)

A little too early to do a similar exercise for Bernhardt but lots of great names... MacInnis, Dvorak, Bunting, Mayo, Fischer, Capobianco, Hill, Warren, Garland, Dineen...

Last edited:

The Feckless Puck

Registered Loser
Sponsor
Oct 26, 2006
Ruuttu pick was so ****ing stupid, even by Coyotes standards. I'd love to know what the hell happened.

Don Maloney happened. IIRC the team's Euro scouting was slim to none, and the one Scandanavian scout we had was Ruuttu's dad. From what I recall, the elder Ruuttu did not want the team to take his kid at that pick but Maloney decided otherwise.

I don't know if it was because his scouting budget was so poor, but when GMDM didn't have a clear idea who to take at a particular pick, he seemed like he just went with the bloodlines.

Ebb

the nondescript
Dec 22, 2015
PA
Should we be a giant dick and sign Kessy for Peanuts to be an enforcer in Tuscon?

Sure; we could also sign Larraza for Tucson duty. He didn't do too bad last season 8 points in 24 games in the A (30 points in 39 games in the E). Of course I'd prefer Tucson to sign him rather than us (so he could bounce between the A and the E), but at least he'd have the opportunity to play in AZ.

I'd grade it a C-. I still think Lessio could turn into a solid 4th/3rd liner, but that window is closing.

Last edited:

Grimes

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 5, 2012
Tippet's Doghouse
D

Murphy has turned out to be quite a player. But he was an extremely risky pick with his injury history. I'm not so sure Saad would have had the same production on the Coyotes had we drafted him but Jenner would have been a real nice fit at the time, and Tipp would have loved him.

The rest of this list is miserable...wow.

ck26

Alcoholab User
Jan 31, 2007
HCanes Bandwagon
Ruutuu was before my time, can someone explain that to me? Nepotism?
I'd grade it a C-. I still think Lessio could turn into a solid 4th/3rd liner, but that window is closing.
You know we traded him to MTL like 6 months ago, right?
Should we be a giant dick and sign Kessy for Peanuts to be an enforcer in Tuscon?
His agent will probably demand the team pay in US dollars, not legumes, but I'd be fine with that. Score a couple AHL goals, punch a couple AHL faces, keep Michael Bunting and Conor Garland safe.

Mosby

Salt Lake Bound
Feb 16, 2012
Toronto
Note that the Habs didn't qualify Lessio. We didn't qualify Thomas. Trade was a total wash.

Tom Polakis

Next expansion
Nov 24, 2008
Tempe, AZ
I'm a huge Murphy fan but one NHL player isn't cutting it. Besides lessio did anyone else even play an NHL game?

Looks like the answer is no. It would be interesting to see this sort of result across the league. It is only five years ago, so other teams might not look much better.

BXGfUgC.jpg

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad