Coyotes Retro Draft Review - 2010

SniperHF

Rejecting Reports
Mar 9, 2007
Phoenix
I might do a few of these, won't go too far back though.

Let's take a trip back to 2010:
#13 Brandon Gormley - D
#27 Mark Visentin - G
#52 Phil Lane - RW
#57 Oscar Lindberg - C
#138 Louis Domingue - G

You might recall some of the circumstances that led to the Yotes only having 5 picks. Lots of trades in the prior season for the playoff run left the team with few picks.

The #13 selection was acquired via the Jokinen trade. The Coyotes used their own pick #22 to trade back to #27 and acquire #57 in the process. The #138 pick was acquired as part of the Jared Staal trade.

Random note: Funnily enough #22 was used by Montreal for Tinordi.

My own take: Despite only having 5 picks, the team did have 4 picks in the top 60. That should have netted more than 1 useful NHLer. Domingue could boost the ranking a bit but he's a long way from really doing that. Gotta go with an F.

XX

Waiting for Ishbia
Dec 10, 2002
PHX
Visentin got hurt but was on track, not sure why they gave up. Gormley's injuries were worse than most realized, robbing him of footspeed. Head was there but the feet weren't. Lindberg actually turned out good, too bad Donny traded him for a warm AHL body.

Lane has been a semi useful AHL player.

Domingue looks like a potential starter, so it wasn't a complete waste.

Wasn't there an argument on the floor about the 27th pick? Vaguely remember something along those lines.

KG

Sep 23, 2010
Well, Lindberg is a NHL player, just not with the Yotes.

Too bad for Gormley.

BlazingBlueAnt

Jul 12, 2014
Could have had Schwartz/Tarasenko at 13
Could have had Coyle/Faulk at 27

I don't really blame them on Gormley tho, he was thought of as a top pairing defender almost guaranteed. If I remember correctly though, Vis was quite a reach and was expected to be a late second

The other guys were pretty good relative to their position, we just got rid of the most successful one

XX

Waiting for Ishbia
Dec 10, 2002
PHX
I don't really blame them on Gormley tho, he was thought of as a top pairing defender almost guaranteed. If I remember correctly though, Vis was quite a reach and was expected to be a late second

They had the camera on the Coyotes table and there was an animated discussion going on as that pick came up. Don't think he was supposed to go there.

Vinny Boombatz

formerly ctwin22
Mar 21, 2008
Chandler, AZ
since this was 6 years ago, and with 5 selections, going after the standard average rate of 1.5 hits per 5 players drafted per draft.

Take that and times it by 100 gp to get the over/under, which should be around 150 games played as the bare minimum for respectability (A "D" grade)

Mosby

Salt Lake Bound
Feb 16, 2012
Toronto
This is an "F" if not for Domingue. Even then, he's played half-a-season and he was a goalie taken in Round 5. Dice roll.

Funny, we look back at this Keith Gretzky draft and hate it, because for this draft and the last in Boston he's getting absolutely roasted.

hbk

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Visit site
Visentin got hurt but was on track, not sure why they gave up. Gormley's injuries were worse than most realized, robbing him of footspeed. Head was there but the feet weren't. Lindberg actually turned out good, too bad Donny traded him for a warm AHL body.

Lane has been a semi useful AHL player.

Domingue looks like a potential starter, so it wasn't a complete waste.

Wasn't there an argument on the floor about the 27th pick? Vaguely remember something along those lines.

Yes. Argument because Hayes wasn't there at our pick forcing us to take G early.

Coyote_Fan

Mar 1, 2002
Phoenix, Arizona
Visit site
Gave it a very low D seeing as Domingue seems to be ok and Lindberg is a pro even if its not for us. I remember this draft as it was shocking that Gormley, who was a top 5-7ish prospect, fell all the way to 12. He was absolutely the right pick at the time he just had bad luck

Ebb

the nondescript
Dec 22, 2015
PA
I'll go with a low C on this draft.
Gormley - Rushed and could still possibly turn out well (he's only 24). I'll give him two more years, but most likely he'll be a bust (for a 1st rounder). Up to this point, we received Tinordi for Gormley (we'll see how that turns out if he's re-signed)
Visentin - is still developing as well (delayed due to the injuries) and could still turn out to be a solid backup. As mentioned, probably picked too early
Lane - At this point, most likely a career AHLer, but he's kind of a throwback player whose game does not match that of the current NHLer. Perhaps someone will give him a shot as a 4th liner within a few years?
Lindberg - Well, a perfect example of limited patience on the team's part at the time. Still, Werek had done well at the OHL level, so that lessens the blow a bit (in terms of the trade at the time).
Domingue - Although he hasn't fully proven himself,he's on the right track.

Matias Maccete

Chopping up defenses
Sep 21, 2014
First 3 picks are brutal, but ming and lindberg are NHL players so 2 out of 5 overall isn't bad. We did trade lindberg of course, but if we're just grading the draft he's gotta be included.

Decoyote

Nov 20, 2014
Norfolk, VA
I missed the title and thought it was for this year's draft so that's the A that doesn't make any sense.

I'd still give it a low C.
It wasn't a great draft and looking back there aren't that many standouts past where we picked. Tarasenko and Faulk would have been amazing but that would never happen and just coming out with with an actual nhl defender like Pysyk would have made this a very good draft. At the time I wanted Etem over Visentin but with hindsight that isn't much of a net positive.

BlazingBlueAnt

Jul 12, 2014
I'll go with a low C on this draft.
Gormley - Rushed and could still possibly turn out well (he's only 24). I'll give him two more years, but most likely he'll be a bust (for a 1st rounder). Up to this point, we received Tinordi for Gormley (we'll see how that turns out if he's re-signed)

Gormley wasn't rushed, he played like 3 years in the AHL. He's majorly regressed and might not even find a spot in any North American roster this year. He's done-zo

Heldig

Apr 12, 2002
BC
I hedged on voting C. It is more an issue with poor development IMO.

Gormley was ranked 4th going into the draft and was in freefall. Post draft it looked like a wise pick. He was incredible his draft +1 year. As others mentioned, the injury really did him in.

Visentin was a reach - dont like taking goalies in the 1st. Again, he was really good post draft and an injury really set him back. I did not like the decision to let him walk.

Lane didn't turn out. Lindberg did. Domingue is looking like a good pick.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad