Coyotes Recent Draft Choices

RABBIT

wasn’t gonna be a fan but Utalked me into it
Saw @rt and @mouser talking about this in another thread and i thought it would be a cool idea to discuss our draft choices that either weren't your first choice, who you were wrong about, who you were happy with then and happy with now, and/or who you were happy with then and pissed about now. I'm just going to do 1st rounders, feel free if you want to talk about round 2-7.

I'll start.

2013:
I loved the Domi pick then, i love it now
Who i wanted: Domi

Domi is one of the underrated players of that draft. He may be snake bitten right now, but you can make an argument that our entire team is snake bitten. He will forever be one of my favorite Coyotes.

2014:
I was so wrong about Perlini
Who i wanted: Ehlers or Fabbri.

I saw Perls as this lanky forward who didn't stick handle that strictly played a North/South game. I figured he looked decent in junior, but because he can skate around weaker competition. Perlini is now one of my favorite players. Faster than i ever thought he'd be (i'd even argue he's one of the fastest in the league) and his shot it LETHAL. Rare to see someone of his big stature able to fly like he does. I get so excited watching him play.

2015:
This draft still breaks my heart.
Once I found out we were picking 3rd, i really didn't have the energy to pick between Strome and Marner, but my gut told me Marner.
Who I wanted: Marner

This one is so hard to judge, but i still think we made the right choice considering the circumstances. We already had a Marner in Domi, we didn't have a potential no. 1 center. Hindsight, now that we have Keller, if Strome works out, this will have been the best case scenario. Marner, Domi, and Keller are all very similar players, we need Strome to work out to be the anchor in between them all. Strome has played less than 10 NHL games, I'm not ready to give up now.

2016:
This was the draft we needed.
I was wrong about both Keller and Chychrun. I didn't think either were going to be bad players, i knew bot would be good, but i didn't think either of them were players i wanted to pick.
Who I wanted: Tkachuk, Juolevi (7oa) Chychrun was a great pick at 16, i didnt think he was a great pick at 7.

I probably would not have chosen Chychrun or Keller at 7, I definitely would've chosen either if available at 16. This one is hard for me, Because i wasn't as sold on Logan Brown as much as some of you guys were, so considering the circumstances, i may actually have chosen Keller at 7 since both guys i wanted were gone.

Hindsight...wow. What a draft this was for us. Makes losing out on Matthews, McDavid and Eichel sting a little less.

2017:
This draft is kind of hard for me to assess as well.
I wanted Makar, Mittelstadt or Glass at 7. After we made our big acquisitions, i kind of lost focus at 23 OA.
Who i wanted: Probably Tolvanaen

I knew almost, and still barely know POJ. I still don't know the quality of this pick, he seems like he's very raw, could be great, could be meh.

Reactions: Yandover

awfulwaffle

Jun 20, 2011
Dallas, TX
Unfortunately I don't follow enough hockey to understand all of the younger players, so I can't say who I didn't want ha. But I will say, and according to Mosby's post there is a reason why. Our recent drafts have been solid. I'm curious though, how far Keller might have fallen if we didn't pick him up? Is he someone that was on the radar of a lot of teams that early, or was he just so young that he might have fallen a bit? I don't follow drafting, so I'm not sure how that all works. I mean, how early is someone looking to make a pick for someone that is a "play now" type kid, versus someone that might be there in a couple of years?

Mosby

Salt Lake Bound
Feb 16, 2012
Toronto
My picks from the recent drafts:

2017 - I thought Mittelstadt would be off the board at 7. I felt comfortable taking Tolvanen here too. He dropped for dumb reasons.
2016 - Chychrun at 7, ahead of Keller
2015 - Strome
2014 - Fabbri ahead of Perlini
2013 - Domi

Lean into the OHL. The best development league IMO and it's the former league of our top 2 scouts.

PhoPhan

Feb 27, 2002
2017: Had we kept the 7th pick, I'd have taken Mittelstadt. Vilardi would have been an option, too. At 23, I'd have sprinted to the stage to take Tolvanen, who I had ranked 7th. Poehling or Kostin would have worked for me there, too.

2016: I had Keller 3rd on my list, so he would have been my choice at 7. At 16, Max Jones was the highest on my list, but Chychrun was 13, so he would have been fine by me, too.

2015: Toss-up between Strome and Marner, but I would have gone with Strome. I can't find my list from that year, but while I liked Merkley at 30, I think I'd have gone with Carlo, Kylington or Harkins.

2014: Perlini wasn't really on my radar. I wanted Kasperi Kapanen or Sonny Milano.

2013: Domi was my guy here. I just didn't think he'd last.

2012: Samuelsson was on my short list, but Collberg and Aberg were slightly ahead.

2011: I don't even think I had Murphy ranked. There were a lot of guys I liked better at this slot, namely Noesen, Kucherov, Grimaldi and Jaskin.

2010: I had Gormley rated top 5, so he was my guy here. I was sure he'd be gone, though, and was hoping for Schwartz leading up to the draft.

2009: By the time the draft rolled around, I had heard enough about OEL to want him, but he was a very late riser.

2008: I was thinking Boedker would be gone by the 8th pick. I wanted Wilson, and when he was taken, Myers was who I'd have taken.

YotesFan47

Jun 16, 2012
Phoenix, Arizona USA
Edit: Have a little time to eleborate now, hot started and ended up having to post before I put in any explanations.

2013 - Wennberg
The Domi pick was fine but I was crushing on Winnberg that year. I also had other players I liked quite a bit but Winnberg was top in my eyes.

2014 - HoSang
I would have failed us this draft had I picked JHS. I figured he would be more like what Keller is showing now, turns out I was very wrong. I also did not like the Perlini pick at the time, it's looking much better now.

2015 - Hanifin (3) Carlo (30)
At this point I'd stand by Hanifin and Carlo as my selections. Both seem to be turning into fine NHL D and would probably be great on our current mess of backend. I was really voicing my Carlo choice that year, outside of physical characteristics, he just seemed like a great player to have on any roster. Hanifin was more interchangeable, and I was fine with the Strome pick, but of the 3 at 3 I preferred Hanifin.

2016 - Chychrun (7) Hajek (*20)
I believe I had little faith in Keller, boy was I wrong! He's been a blast to watch! Getting my guy still at 16 was great too! We'll see how Hajek turns out but I liked him as a late 1st.

2017 - I had like 6 guys here so this one is kinda open. I guess Suzuki would have been my choice. At 23 I wanted Norris or Thomas. I was also a voice for Hague at 23. I didn't pay as much attention to hockey in general for this draft year so I lacked a lot of info.

Last edited:

Llewzaher

Aug 2, 2005
North America
2013 - wanted Domi
2014 - Larken
2015 - Marner
2016 - was hoping for a Matthews trade , but wanted Tkachuk , or Juolevi
2017 - - Vilardi or Necas

Gwyddbwyll2

Nov 5, 2017
Maybe not so recent but this is what I remember. Krys Kolanos is what really sparked my interest in the draft which was a completely new thing to me (being European).

2001 - 11th - Really wanted Chuck Kobasew to join up with Kolanos. Content with Sjostrom a sure-fire scorer..
2002 - 19th - Anton Babchuk shockingly fell all the way from top 5. Wanted him. Settled for Koreis being "NHL-ready". Yeah..
2003 - none - traded this for Langkow i think, kinda feels like Stepan again..
200 4 - 5th - was all aboard the Lauri Tukonen hype train. Feared we'd get Olesz, it was Wheeler.
2005 - 16th - really really really really wanted Alex Bourret, a firestarting little dynamo (a bit like Domi). Was gutted he went 1 pick before ours. He turned into nothing and we got Hanzal who I thought would be another Koreis.
2006 - 8th - One of those drafts with about 6-8 forwards all the same level. If pushed, James Sheppard was my choice over Peter Mueller.
2007 - 3rd - Jakob Voracek, loved his game. But how could you argue with Gretzky picking Turris..
2008 - 8th - Mikkel Boedker - first time we picked who I wanted. Thought he would be awesome.
2009 - 6th - didnt like anyone, didnt know about OEL.
2010 - 13th - Brandon Gormley - delighted to get the faller, liked Tarasenko but Gormley was a real catch..
2011 - 20th - didnt have anyone in mind.
2012 - 27th - again didnt have a target, just observed.
2013 - 12th - delighted to get Domi, didnt think we would. Hoped for Mantha realistically.
2014 - 12th - really didnt want Perlini, way too much risk for little upside. Wanted Fabbri.
2015 - 3rd - Strome all the way.
2016 - 7th - would have traded down. Wasnt keen on Keller, too much development time. Trade down, target Charlie McAvoy and hopefully get a Tage Thompson or Alex DeBrincat as well.
2017 - 7th - would have traded down. Chytil and Poehling were the ones that interested me.

tucknroll

Feb 13, 2015
Started watching drafts in 2012, each year have gotten more and more into it, didn't really start following religiously till 2015 though, so of just the 1st round picks my list would be
2012- Tanner Pearson (was just someone i was aware of and liked his game, really didn't follow this draft much)
2013- Domi and if he was gone then Wennberg. (again didn't follow too closely)
2014- Perlini, DeAngelo, Fabbri, Sanheim in that order
2015 (when i started following closely)- Marner or Provorov, if not one of them trade down to Columbus's pick or Boston's pick and aim for Barzal, Werenski, Connor or Zacha (in that order)... at #30 i wanted Merkley and still love that pick
2016- Keller, Chychrun at #7 (that order). at 20 i wouldn't have been upset with Steel, Dineen, Gauthier or Jones (no real order but Chychrun was easily my pick on draft day at 16)
2017- was glad we traded #7 for Stepan (trading down would also have been good by me because i liked Suzuki), and at 23 i would have ran to the stage either of Tolvanen or Kostin though i'm also happy with P.O. Joseph

Jagged Ice

Sponsor
Jul 10, 2011
Central Phoenix
I was ok with all of them except this summer I wanted Vilardi or Mittlestadt instead Stepan. I'm hearing good things about Joseph but I bet we don't see him for another 4 years. I wish he'd put on some muscle.

hbk

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Visit site
I have favorites in each draft. Last year was the most meh "I have a list about 10 deep that I would be okay with" draft I can remember. I touted Logan Brown hard the year prior. Bo Horvat a few years back when we were debating between him and Domi. I'm sure everyone else remembers better than I do some others.

azcanuck

Jan 14, 2014
chandler az
My friend's a scout on the OHL and based on what he was observing he said Domi had a lot of punk in him and was lazy at times. I don't see any of that in him, he grew up .
Perlini is a real gem. He reminds me of Jeff Carter. Fast , strong and heavy shot. He will be a star.
Strome is a nightmare pick. Lost out on two superstar players when odds were we could have had one. Strome is too slow for the NHL at least in my observation so far.
Keller I was very high on . Seeing him play before the draft I saw a lot of Patrick Kane in him. He had the "it" factor too.

Heldig

Apr 12, 2002
BC
I dont watch all the leagues so it is difficult to truly rank a lot of players...I really heavily on Bob McKenzies rankings to see who could be available around the time my teams pick. I have some biases - dont like guys with skating issues (Strome), am kind of shy of large sized men who dominate in juniors (Crouse), always worry about the russian factor (Tarasenko :(), and worry about players that put up huge numbers in their draft year when paired with a hot shot younger player (Sjostrom with Getzlaf).

That said, there have been a few times I have yelled at the tv and a few times I have been totally wrong.

Way back in 2002 I literally was screaming at GM Barnett (ok at the TV) to draft Alex Steen. 2x we passed over him.

In 2004 I stopped watching the draft when Phoenix drafted Wheeler 5th overall. The analysts did not even recognize the name. Really wanted Ladd and he went 1 spot earlier.

In 2011 I was unhappy with drafting the always injured Murphy. Wanted Puempel.

In 2014 I was more worried we may draft Ritchie than who we should draft. McKenzies pick was Larkin.

In 2015 I wanted the Coyotes to trade down a few spots and get one of the three D (I was worried about both Strome and Marner).

In 2016 I liked Chychrun and Brown.

Excellent resource to look back at rankings pre draft:
http://www2.tsn.ca/draftcentre/feature/?id=10903

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad