Rumor: Coyotes Pursuing Taylor Hall per Friedman

Status
Not open for further replies.

cobra427

May 6, 2012
Hilarious to read fans wondering if Hall is elite enough for the coyotes.
Hall would easily become the Yotes best player
On a team with a bunch of good players (like the Coyotes) this is the type of addition you want.
RT plays a perfect system for the offensively limited Yotes. Hall could open the door slightly for being a bit more offensive. But it really doesn't matter he would help anyway.
I would easily give up (to make salaries match somewhat), Keller, Raanta and a first to get Hall (if you can sign him to an extension). The team would be much closer to being legit contenders.
Keller is overrated. Raanta is a luxery. And a first rounder if you finish near the top is not that much.
Yes Chayka go for it.
Kessel was suppose to be our best forward and OEL was suppose to be our best D this year. I like Hall, he is a good player but he has had his share of injuries and he isn't really producing this year. Hall could be but might not be our best player. yes he has an elite history, so does Kessel, so what, not a guarantee.

Jamieh

Apr 25, 2012
Kessel was suppose to be our best forward and OEL was suppose to be our best D this year. I like Hall, he is a good player but he has had his share of injuries and he isn't really producing this year. Hall could be but might not be our best player. yes he has an elite history, so does Kessel, so what, not a guarantee.
Hall has 25 points in 29 games this year, he is doing ok. I would hope for more goals but he is playing decent.

cobra427

May 6, 2012
Hall has 25 points in 29 games this year, he is doing ok. I would hope for more goals but he is playing decent.
15 goal pace like Keller/Kessel, not very good. All 3 might get better, none are at an elite pace.

Jamieh

Apr 25, 2012
15 goal pace like Keller/Kessel, not very good. All 3 might get better, none are at an elite pace.
I think 70 points would be good?? Our 2 are headed for closer to 50. I don't think it's elite but Hall is tied for 40th in the League.

RABBIT

Years of my life w you f*cks only to get relocated

Not a ton of new news, other than Colorado seems to be the most sensible destination, but Friedman again says that Arizona is inquiring. So we don't seem to have backed off even though Colorado seems to be the frontrunner.

XX

Waiting for Ishbia
Dec 10, 2002
PHX
I don't really see how they keep Burakovsky and Hall long term. The Coyotes actually have a lot of dead weight right now that can easily drop off without the team really feeling it, Colorado is not the same way. They are top heavy.

The beauty of being a defense first team with largely spare parts I guess.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
He is playing very well, considering the team isn't. Mind you, with their goal tending, any team would have a hard time. Must be such a disappointment for the rest of the team. IF the Devils had decent goal tending, I think they would be very good.

azcanuck

Jan 14, 2014
chandler az
Hall is the type of elite talent who would help old man declining Kessel a little. Kessel is very smart and would play well off Hall.
Don't be fooled by Hall's numbers right now in New Jersey. He's got very little to play with there and his shooting percentage is low compared to what he does historically.
you are right about the injuries. That's my biggest fear. He's not a physical player yet has had a couple of major injuries.
I do think though the Coyotes who have been the laughing stock of the NHL for a long time would do well with this kind of splash. It would elevate the program and the players would know management is serious about the Cup. Maybe it would even lift the dismal attendance the team is still struggling with despite winning.

The Feckless Puck

Registered Loser
Sponsor
Oct 26, 2006
I'd like to grab Hall if

a) ...we don't have to sell the farm for him, and
b) ...if by trading assets we open up a regular roster spot for Hayton.

Reactions: _Del_

Mosby

Fire Bettman
Feb 16, 2012
Toronto
You're willing to move 2 roster forwards for Hall? Because he'd need a spot and then one for Hayton.

cobra427

May 6, 2012
Hall is the type of elite talent who would help old man declining Kessel a little. Kessel is very smart and would play well off Hall.
Don't be fooled by Hall's numbers right now in New Jersey. He's got very little to play with there and his shooting percentage is low compared to what he does historically.
you are right about the injuries. That's my biggest fear. He's not a physical player yet has had a couple of major injuries.
I do think though the Coyotes who have been the laughing stock of the NHL for a long time would do well with this kind of splash. It would elevate the program and the players would know management is serious about the Cup. Maybe it would even lift the dismal attendance the team is still struggling with despite winning.
I like Hall and he has to help. His shooting percentage is low, so is Kessels. Talent is not much different then NJ really. Both are in the same boat, historically both get more goals this year, just not a guarantee.

last point, wingers are easier to replace and have less responsibility on D. This is the last position you want to tie up cap space, we need to be careful

txw

Feb 2, 2018
I feel like Stepan or Demers would have to get moved somewhere to make this work, not sure if Demers could be apart of the Hall deal? Not ideal for NJ but it would allow them to play a prospect with an experienced player that isnt awful.

You're willing to move 2 roster forwards for Hall? Because he'd need a spot and then one for Hayton.

Richardson won another deal with his production last year but will be usurped by Hayton next year i would imagine.

Heldig

Apr 12, 2002
BC
The Coyotes are not close enough to being contenders to do an "all in" trade for a pending UFA. Deadline acquisition price of the 2020 1st and a good prospect (Capobianco? Farinacci?) and an NHL player (Hinostroza? Fischcr? ) is about as high as I would want Chayka to go. And the Coyotes dont have the cap space to do that. So a bigger name player has to go the other way. Not trading Keller or Schmaltz or Dvorak or Chychrun...NJ would have no interest in Stepan or Goligoski (or Kessel). NJ would not take OEl while they have a $9million PK Subban on the blueline.

I just dont see how it can work out. Unless Chayka pays what it takes to get a guy he wants. That is a scary thought.

Reactions: Jakey53

FinnishCoyote

Jan 3, 2017
I only want to trade for Hall if it is 100% sure that we can extend him. We aren’t on the ”all in rentals” stage yet

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
I like Hall and he has to help. His shooting percentage is low, so is Kessels. Talent is not much different then NJ really. Both are in the same boat, historically both get more goals this year, just not a guarantee.

last point, wingers are easier to replace and have less responsibility on D. This is the last position you want to tie up cap space, we need to be careful
I agree, but elite talent is hard to get at any position. If one comes available, you have to take a long hard look at it.

azcanuck

Jan 14, 2014
chandler az

You cant make generalizations with a guy like Hall. He's an elite talent. An MVP just recently.
My only pause is his injury history.
but the Yotes are in a unique situation. They've been one of the worst franchises in the history of sports. This is an opportunity to take this franchise with it's new owner to a place they've never gone before.
I'd do it if the price was right. Remember a good rule for making trades. The team that gets the best player usually wins that trade.
And Hall is so different from Kessel. Phil is a guy clearly on the decline who will actually be elevated by Hall. Phil has played and thrived with the uber talents of the NHL like Malkin and Crosby. He's not intimidated by playing with them.

crazyhockeylover96

Mar 14, 2009
Another option would be to separate Hall, Keller, and Kessel. Other teams will have a difficult time targeting three separate threats. PP would have to improve with all three working it.

Been wondering if Chayka is in the conversation as the third team. Musical chairs.

BUX7PHX

Jul 7, 2011
The Coyotes are not close enough to being contenders to do an "all in" trade for a pending UFA. Deadline acquisition price of the 2020 1st and a good prospect (Capobianco? Farinacci?) and an NHL player (Hinostroza? Fischcr? ) is about as high as I would want Chayka to go. And the Coyotes dont have the cap space to do that. So a bigger name player has to go the other way. Not trading Keller or Schmaltz or Dvorak or Chychrun...NJ would have no interest in Stepan or Goligoski (or Kessel). NJ would not take OEl while they have a $9million PK Subban on the blueline.

I just dont see how it can work out. Unless Chayka pays what it takes to get a guy he wants. That is a scary thought.

That is why Raanta is the theoretical "easiest" deal to make, due to his salary and the fact that he is not our best goalie right now. The problem is that many teams don't usually wind up in goalie deals a whole lot.

I think that we can say that the following forwards are not ones that we would want to trade: Hayton, Grabner, Crouse, Schmaltz, Garland, Dvorak, Soderberg, Keller, and Kessel. I think anyone else could be considered fair game, so Stepan would be the easiest to make salary work. However, NJ doesn't want him. Do any one of the players on this list above make sense to deal? Maybe Soderberg? I don't really want to deal him, but he would be the next most likely to go.

If NJ is set on finding a goalie and Raanta is of interest, then we have to be able to close this type of deal. If not, then we can sit back and see what else might be available. But, there should be no excuse to working a deal out if there is interest on NJ's part in Raanta. Hall pushes us to being a contender. Raanta needs to have Kuemper get hurt and then Raanta has to perform as good as, if not better than Kuemper to be a contender if we don't add anyone.

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
If Shero can force Sakic into an overpay on Hall, and it includes young roster forwards like Compher or Jost, perhaps we can acquire Palmieri in a deal for Raanta?

XX

Waiting for Ishbia
Dec 10, 2002
PHX
If Shero can force Sakic into an overpay on Hall, and it includes young roster forwards like Compher or Jost, perhaps we can acquire Palmieri in a deal for Raanta?

That's a net negative trade.

Chayka has built this team by stacking small to moderate numerical advantages. You make a swap, it better be a net gain.

BUX7PHX

Jul 7, 2011
That's a net negative trade.

Chayka has built this team by stacking small to moderate numerical advantages. You make a swap, it better be a net gain.

That is still a net gain, in my eyes.

Again, when is Raanta pushing Kuemper out of his starting spot? Raanta will play no more than 7 games total after the trade deadline. That is inclusive of the playoffs, provided that Kuemper does not get injured. Palmieri will play more than 7 games for us after the trade deadline. He also has 1 more year left on his deal at a reasonable price, same as Kuemper having 1 more year. We won't find a player of Palmieri's caliber at that price in free agency. We can find a backup goalie for as much or less than what Raanta is making and not get a significant drop-off in the caliber of the player.

Reactions: sundance74
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad