Prospect Info: Coyotes Prospect Development Camp 2016 | July 4-8

Palmer2Fitz

Oct 2, 2015
http://arizonasports.com/story/738329/ranking-the-coyotes-top-prospects-at-every-position/

Chayka has input on each prospect.

On Devorak: "“Of everyone in development camp, he may have been the guy who made the biggest impression. He did a lot of things that made us think ‘this guy is NHL ready.’ We had the same feeling when we watched Domi and Duclair last year.â€"

I don't see how anyone could b me surprised by this. Dvorak has seemed NHL ready for quite some time now. Everyone always talks about how he plays a NHL style game. I think this would be a lot less surprising to some if he were a 1st round pick. Because he was a 2nd rounder some people just can't accept the fact that he is a top tier prospect.

XX

Waiting for Ishbia
Dec 10, 2002
PHX
Re: Garland

Chayka’s take: “I supported drafting him heavily so there is a personal interest here. He led the (QMJHL) league in scoring back-to-back years and sometimes with players of his size, they can be a bit soft, but he plays with significant bite to game. He still has to learn to adapt his game to the pro level, but with that kind of production, he’s obviously an exciting player to watch.”

Safe to say the Coyotes value prolific production in the forwards they draft. Keller, Strome, Garland all big standouts in that regard among their peers.

CC96

Serious Offender
Nov 6, 2012
Mesa, Arizona
Re: Garland

Safe to say the Coyotes value prolific production in the forwards they draft. Keller, Strome, Garland all big standouts in that regard among their peers.

I'd much rather gamble on freewheeling skilled players with high risk, high reward, potential, as opposed to playing it safe and using mid/late-round picks to select slugs, who even if they make the show, might only end up being as good as guys, you can buy a dime a dozen for $1-2 million every July.

PhoPhan

Feb 27, 2002
Ditto. The logic behind drafting bigger "safer" players is that if they bust and don't reach their top six potential, you can still slot them into the bottom six. As mentioned, those guys are easy to find anyway, and players with that upside can be found far deeper into the draft than the high end skill guys, but it's a bit of a straw man anyway.

There's not much weight beyond the "top six or bust" tag a lot of the littler skilled guys get branded with. There are always going to be guys who flame out entirely (e.g. Rob Schremp or Zach Hamill), but I'm not sure they're any more common in that genus as they among bigger, simpler players (e.g. Hugh Jessiman or Kyle Beach). There's certainly plenty of middle or bottom six skill guys bouncing around the league (e.g. Sam Gagner or Michael Grabner), and as the possession-based playing model proliferates, teams are increasingly open to employing players of that ilk in those bottom six situations. Few players of any type ever hit that top line upside, and most slot in a notch or two below that, with another handful of them falling short of the NHL at all. I'm not sure the bell curve is any different for different types of player.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad