Prospect Info: Coyotes Prospect Development Camp 2016 | July 4-8

WrinkledPossum

Play Dead
Apr 23, 2016
I could see Keller ending up better than Marner, US college guys tend to be a little underrated compared to CHL ones. Right now Marner is the favorite to be the better player but I think Chychrun would a huge overpayment to get someone who may or may not end up actually being better.

_Del_

Jul 4, 2003
I think I'd rather have two lottery tickets than one at this point. Marner is a better prospect than Keller, but not by so much that I would give up the ChickenRun to upgrade. Who knows how they all pan out.

tucknroll

Feb 13, 2015
He'll always be second pairing so long as OEL is in front of him. And getting a 2-3 minute eating type isn't the worst use of a pick outside the top 10. Florida was disappointed with JayBo but had he gone ten or fifteen picks later, he'd have been a great choice instead of just unfulfilled potential.

I think having Marner next year is essentially warping forward Keller's development by a few years, eliminating the risk of a holdout, and installing chemistry with existing London products. All of that for a team that badly needs a RW and is trying to compete on a shoestring budget. That's worth Chychrun to me, but I don't see him as having elite upside.

At some point a trade ceases to be about accruing the most paper value or shiny toys. Other factors come into play. If Marner had potted 60 points in the NHL already, would this even be a question?

Who in Florida was disappointed with Jay? All i remember was Bouwmeester being frustrated that he was working really hard for a losing team and he wouldn't sign an extension with them, also his Father getting quoted hating on Florida, But he lead their team in scoring for defenseman 4 years in a row, played top-pairing and had 3 40+ point seasons before be was 25. He was also the best Iron-Man in the league for a long time not missing any games for 7 straight seasons. I don't know how they can regret drafting a player like that at #3 considering he was gone from Florida before he started declining.

Chychrun can also be a top-pairing quality man while playing second pairing. It's just like Malkin in Pitts, is he not a 1st line quality Centerman because he plays second line behind Crosby? So yes he may be a second pairing guy, but he could be one of the best in the league. Also if Chych becomes like JayBo i'd personally be happy, but i think he's still got more potential than that.

And Marner hasn't potted any points in the NHL so that's not an argument, saying that you'd also have to ask yourself what if Keller played in the OHL and put up 2 PPG? Would a D with potential like Chych still be worth losing to fill the gap? Marner and Keller as basically the same player, Marner is just a bit better than Keller at most aspects of the game, that being said he's also a year older.

As for the team needing a RW they really do, but not a rookie one (especially is Strome makes the roster this fall), Versteeg or someone cheap and reliable would be just as good for a year if Tippet is wanting to win. Thousands of players have lead great careers without their junior chemistry and having Domi should be enough for Dvorak anyways.

Marner is the best player of the three (as of now) but filling a positional need isn't worth a big overpayment (i think we can agree that it is from the poll results) when you have all summer to look elsewhere for a more experienced player to play on an already young team.

I lover Marner but thats just too much to risk in terms of 2 blue-chips for 1 shiny blue-chip

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
Who in Florida was disappointed with Jay? All i remember was Bouwmeester being frustrated that he was working really hard for a losing team and he wouldn't sign an extension with them, also his Father getting quoted hating on Florida, But he lead their team in scoring for defenseman 4 years in a row, played top-pairing and had 3 40+ point seasons before be was 25. He was also the best Iron-Man in the league for a long time not missing any games for 7 straight seasons. I don't know how they can regret drafting a player like that at #3 considering he was gone from Florida before he started declining.

Chychrun can also be a top-pairing quality man while playing second pairing. It's just like Malkin in Pitts, is he not a 1st line quality Centerman because he plays second line behind Crosby? So yes he may be a second pairing guy, but he could be one of the best in the league. Also if Chych becomes like JayBo i'd personally be happy, but i think he's still got more potential than that.

And Marner hasn't potted any points in the NHL so that's not an argument, saying that you'd also have to ask yourself what if Keller played in the OHL and put up 2 PPG? Would a D with potential like Chych still be worth losing to fill the gap? Marner and Keller as basically the same player, Marner is just a bit better than Keller at most aspects of the game, that being said he's also a year older.

As for the team needing a RW they really do, but not a rookie one (especially is Strome makes the roster this fall), Versteeg or someone cheap and reliable would be just as good for a year if Tippet is wanting to win. Thousands of players have lead great careers without their junior chemistry and having Domi should be enough for Dvorak anyways.

Marner is the best player of the three (as of now) but filling a positional need isn't worth a big overpayment (i think we can agree that it is from the poll results) when you have all summer to look elsewhere for a more experienced player to play on an already young team.

I lover Marner but thats just too much to risk in terms of 2 blue-chips for 1 shiny blue-chip

Good post.

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
So now it turns out that the poll I started to show you guys how right I was about Marner being greater than Keller plus Chychrun was actually a secret conspiracy on my part to bash the Prophet Marner and the Holy City of Toronto. They just can't quite square it, but they're sure that some kind of insult or attack. Haha. You can't even agree with those people without them trying to tear you to ribbons. The most insecure subset of individuals on the Internet. I mean, some how a Strome bash made its way in. Haha. What?!?!?

Bonsai Tree

Turning a new leaf
Feb 2, 2014
So now it turns out that the poll I started to show you guys how right I was about Marner being greater than Keller plus Chychrun was actually a secret conspiracy on my part to bash the Prophet Marner and the Holy City of Toronto. They just can't quite square it, but they're sure that some kind of insult or attack. Haha. You can't even agree with those people without them trying to tear you to ribbons. The most insecure subset of individuals on the Internet. I mean, some how a Strome bash made its way in. Haha. What?!?!?

I thought that the whole exercise was just an effort to piss off Toronto fans.

Matias Maccete

Chopping up defenses
Sep 21, 2014

Damn, good thing I stocked up on tin foil, I think they may have used the world supply.

Matias Maccete

Chopping up defenses
Sep 21, 2014
Alexey Bereglazov told that John Chayka promised to follow him in the KHL and to stay in touch with his agent next season.

Thanks for the update.

That poll thread got hilarious very quickly. I'm on your side! Shut up Strome sucks! Conspiracy everyone hates the leafs!

Last edited:

XX

Waiting for Ishbia
Dec 10, 2002
PHX
On Devorak: "“Of everyone in development camp, he may have been the guy who made the biggest impression. He did a lot of things that made us think ‘this guy is NHL ready.’ We had the same feeling when we watched Domi and Duclair last year.â€"

Wonder how rt feels about this ;)

Ebb

the nondescript
Dec 22, 2015
PA
On Mayo:
Chayka’s take: “There is nothing dynamic about his game that jumps out at you but he’s just solid in all areas. He’s a smaller-stature player but I like him a lot. He will play in Tucson next year and should have a solid year. For him, it’s about developing an identity of who he is in the NHL so coaches know in certain situations were they can use him. It was interesting, I asked him who he models his game after in the NHL and he said ‘I don’t know.’ I’d like him to choose a model.”

Doh! You'd think even by 19 he would have some sort of model in mind. Get this kid a subscription to Center Ice and have him watch at least 3-4 games from each team last season. Or at least send him some video of a variety of NHL defensemen styles.

:laugh:

Last edited:

Matias Maccete

Chopping up defenses
Sep 21, 2014
http://arizonasports.com/story/738329/ranking-the-coyotes-top-prospects-at-every-position/

Chayka has input on each prospect.

On Devorak: "“Of everyone in development camp, he may have been the guy who made the biggest impression. He did a lot of things that made us think ‘this guy is NHL ready.’ We had the same feeling when we watched Domi and Duclair last year.â€"

Can't disagree, he looked the most NHL ready all through camp and at the scrimmage.

The Feckless Puck

Registered Loser
Sponsor
Oct 26, 2006
On Mayo:

Doh! You'd think even by 19 he would have some sort of model in mind. Get this kid a subscription to Center Ice and have him watch at least 3-4 games from each team last season. Or at least send him some video of a variety of NHL defensive styles.

:laugh:

I look at it another way - why try to emulate anyone? Play the way you feel most effective. Maybe you end up creating a style of play others want to emulate.

Gargyn

Oct 19, 2006
Kelowna, BC
Big words for Dvorak. Seems like a Tippett kind of guy too. I could actually see this guy being a 1st line center between 2 offensive wingers. Thoughts?

Ebb

the nondescript
Dec 22, 2015
PA
I look at it another way - why try to emulate anyone? Play the way you feel most effective. Maybe you end up creating a style of play others want to emulate.

True, but you'd think he'd say it another way if that was the case. Of course, Chayka could be paraphrasing. From how it was written, it sounds like the kid is indifferent to an NHL career, but that's probably just me reading into it more than necessary :)

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
Wonder how rt feels about this ;)

rt likes patience with prospects. I like them to overcook as much as possible. If he has nothing to gain from the AHL and Dave Tippett, of all people, falls in love with him enough to give him big minutes in the NHL; minutes in which he can be productive and effective, than that's great. For all involved.

strizzy16

Welcome to Life, 2.0
Mar 6, 2012
somewhere south
Big words for Dvorak. Seems like a Tippett kind of guy too. I could actually see this guy being a 1st line center between 2 offensive wingers. Thoughts?

Yeah i'd agree. he clearly excelled playing with 2 offensive minded guys in london. im curious as to how this shakes out this year -- a lot of people have suggested that dvorak be moved to wing and strome plays center for his rookie year, but how possible is it that the opposite happens? domi-dvorak-duclair, however unlikely, would still be awesome. i guess strome's play style really isn't suited for wing, but if dvorak completely outplays him at camp, it's going to be interesting

If these prospects pan out we are going to be set up kind of like Pittsburgh in 3-4 years. maybe not quite the star power, but 3 really good centers. That is, if they envision Keller as a center and not a winger.

lanky

Feeling Spicy
Jun 23, 2007
Winnipeg

In the long run ( I know it's not in the cards this season) I really hope he gets played between Domi and Duclair. He and Domi tore up the OHL together and Domi and Duclair clearly have something special. Tripple D line.

Strome could work out great with some other schlubbs like Perlini and Fischer.

XX

Waiting for Ishbia
Dec 10, 2002
PHX
If Strome and Dvorak both show well in the circle during preseason, I imagine they'll keep both. They were great at faceoffs in junior. Strome did good against Kopitar if I remember right.

Dvorak - 60.37% on 1335 faceoffs
Strome - 62.52% on 1142 faceoffs

Strome
Dvorak
Hanzal
Vermette

Potential to be the best FO team in the league.

strizzy16

Welcome to Life, 2.0
Mar 6, 2012
somewhere south
^ Richardson is also pretty good at faceoffs, if i remember correctly, he really improved his percentages compared to when he was on Vancouver. Makes for a very good supporting 5th guy of your top-4 above, especially with potential 20gms of Hanzal injury + who knows will happen with Strome/Dvorak situation + penalty killing

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
rt likes patience with prospects. I like them to overcook as much as possible. If he has nothing to gain from the AHL and Dave Tippett, of all people, falls in love with him enough to give him big minutes in the NHL; minutes in which he can be productive and effective, than that's great. For all involved.

Most times that is the way it happens, but when a kid is ready he's ready and I don't care what age or draft position. Take away the last three years, we have not drafted well and so the talent was not there and the prospects had to be sent to junior or the AHL. Now we are drafting better and higher in the draft we are seeing much better talent.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad