Prospect Info: Coyotes Prospect Development Camp 2016 | July 4-8

BlazingBlueAnt

Jul 12, 2014
Oh yeah. I was way wrong. I think I have a higher opinion of Marner than most non-Leafs fans. I really have no feelings on Keller one way or the other.

Marner does everything Keller does but better imo.

really depends on how high you are on Chicken Run and if that makes up for it,

The Feckless Puck

Registered Loser
Sponsor
Oct 26, 2006
Marner does everything Keller does but better imo.

really depends on how high you are on Chicken Run and if that makes up for it,

My personal inclination is that unless two assets in aggregate can't reach 75% performance level of another single asset, possessing the two is going to be better overall than trading for the one. I'm a big fan of depth.

The potential gap between Keller and Marner is simply not big enough for me to believe throwing in Chychrun in a trade scenario would be worthwhile, especially considering that Chychrun - for all of his question marks - still represents our best defensive prospect by a country mile.

Matias Maccete

Chopping up defenses
Sep 21, 2014
My personal inclination is that unless two assets in aggregate can't reach 75% performance level of another single asset, possessing the two is going to be better overall than trading for the one. I'm a big fan of depth.

The potential gap between Keller and Marner is simply not big enough for me to believe throwing in Chychrun in a trade scenario would be worthwhile, especially considering that Chychrun - for all of his question marks - still represents our best defensive prospect by a country mile.

Agreed on everything but your last sentence. Chychrun should be ranked over wood right now, but I think it's actually pretty close. Granted wood is older, but I think a case could still be made for him being the top defensive prospect.

BUX7PHX

Jul 7, 2011
I was going to echo that Chychrun is the difference here. Marner is ahead of Keller in most categories, but it is the factor of what Chychrun could bring that makes it tough to like Marner that much more than a Keller/Chychrun combo.

FWIW, I had Sergachev as my top defenseman, with Chychrun and Juolevi basically a tie. All three were so very close, in my opinion. The value that we got on Chychrun for pick #16 is amazing value, as he and Sergachev were the two players that I wanted to trade back to somewhere around #10 for. Not entirely convinced that Juolevi is elite - thought that being on a stacked London team helped pad some of his stats and he still has to grow into his body. Chychrun doesn't necessarily have to mature physically as much.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011

I agree. Two of the three haven't participated at a pro training camp, so it is hard to vote for this poll.

Matias Maccete

Chopping up defenses
Sep 21, 2014
42 of 46 neutral votes cast for Keller+Chychrun. I expected the opposite.

I'd take Keller and Chychrun as well but I thought it would be closer. Marner is pretty damn amazing. I think Chychrun is the big factor, marner is most definitely better in just about every way than Keller from what little I've seen of them both, but Chychrun is the wild card. If he ended up even being a top 4 guy he'd close the gap. There could be a bit of shiny new toy syndrome as well.

PhoPhan

Feb 27, 2002
I'd take Marner over Keller, but the difference between them is a lot smaller than a player like Jakob Chychrun. I imagine we have similar feelings on Chychrun (a strong skills package that projects him as a very reliable second pairing guy who can kill penalties and oppose a top scoring line), so I'm guessing you're still a little ambivalent about Keller. Do yourself a favor and watch some BU games this year. I suspect you'll be a big fan.

Bonsai Tree

Turning a new leaf
Feb 2, 2014
I'd take Marner over Keller, but the difference between them is a lot smaller than a player like Jakob Chychrun. I imagine we have similar feelings on Chychrun (a strong skills package that projects him as a very reliable second pairing guy who can kill penalties and oppose a top scoring line), so I'm guessing you're still a little ambivalent about Keller. Do yourself a favor and watch some BU games this year. I suspect you'll be a big fan.

Why would the Coyotes trade up in the first round to snag a second pairing defense man? They must see first pairing potential in him.

BUX7PHX

Jul 7, 2011
And you never really know what can happen. The fact that Keller did have similarities to Kane in terms of production really has a high value in and of itself. Even if he tops out as a poor man's Kane, that will still likely net about 45-60 points in a full 82 game season.

That is still not a horrible production line and to have a potential top 4 D. Marner would basically have to be a PPG player plus to make up for that difference.

XX

Waiting for Ishbia
Dec 10, 2002
PHX
Why would the Coyotes trade up in the first round to snag a second pairing defense man? They must see first pairing potential in him.

He'll always be second pairing so long as OEL is in front of him. And getting a 2-3 minute eating type isn't the worst use of a pick outside the top 10. Florida was disappointed with JayBo but had he gone ten or fifteen picks later, he'd have been a great choice instead of just unfulfilled potential.

I think having Marner next year is essentially warping forward Keller's development by a few years, eliminating the risk of a holdout, and installing chemistry with existing London products. All of that for a team that badly needs a RW and is trying to compete on a shoestring budget. That's worth Chychrun to me, but I don't see him as having elite upside.

At some point a trade ceases to be about accruing the most paper value or shiny toys. Other factors come into play. If Marner had potted 60 points in the NHL already, would this even be a question?

BlazingBlueAnt

Jul 12, 2014
He'll always be second pairing so long as OEL is in front of him. And getting a 2-3 minute eating type isn't the worst use of a pick outside the top 10. Florida was disappointed with JayBo but had he gone ten or fifteen picks later, he'd have been a great choice instead of just unfulfilled potential.

I think having Marner next year is essentially warping forward Keller's development by a few years, eliminating the risk of a holdout, and installing chemistry with existing London products. All of that for a team that badly needs a RW and is trying to compete on a shoestring budget. That's worth Chychrun to me, but I don't see him as having elite upside.

At some point a trade ceases to be about accruing the most paper value or shiny toys. Other factors come into play. If Marner had potted 60 points in the NHL already, would this even be a question?

Even at 3 JayBo was a great pick, he's gonna easily hit 1000 NHL games. You have to go all the way to like 54 in Duncan Keith to really find someone who should have gone before him in retrospect.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad