Confirmed with Link: Coyotes Prospect Camp - June 24 - 28 - Now with Premium Roster

moosemeister

5,000 strong
Feb 15, 2010
Mesa, Arizona
POJ is a tiny, tiny dude. Really tall but was the skinniest by a far margin. You can see it through his gear. He needs to hit the gym and whataburger hard this summer

Name Nameless

Don't go more than 10 seconds back on challenges
Apr 12, 2017
Thoughts from the game last night:
The top draft choices, POJ, Hayton and Soderstrom were all smooth and Hayton controls the puck better than I thought, but he couldn't win a face-off to save his life...not that that matters much.

Stewart is large and really fast for his size, he played well, and as others have said Bahl was a standout. Liam Kirk had some nice plays as well, and Farinacci & Maccelli played well, the latter with a really nice goal on his first one (empty netter at the end), was extremely patient waiting for 5-hole to open up and then quickly put it through.

The major problem with the night was that none of the players looked like Keller a few years back. Keller was so much better than the rest of the group and you could just tell. None of the top draftees were noticeably better than the rest of the group...which is a bummer.

Yeah, I noticed this with Hayton too.

His draws tended to be against Schnarr, wasn't they? Please tell me what this actually means, is Schnarr is a wonder on face-offs. :allears:

SniperHF

Rejecting Reports
Mar 9, 2007
Phoenix
So's Dvorak and he always stood out. It probably has more to do with rt's second sentence, just how hard are they going really.

Name Nameless

Don't go more than 10 seconds back on challenges
Apr 12, 2017
POJ is a tiny, tiny dude. Really tall but was the skinniest by a far margin. You can see it through his gear. He needs to hit the gym and whataburger hard this summer

Yeah, but he was drafted in 2017... He is 20 in litterally a couple of days.

I would imagine he has been told this in two prospects camps already, prior to this one?

Ok, this is my pessimism coming to the surface again.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
Thoughts from the game last night:
The top draft choices, POJ, Hayton and Soderstrom were all smooth and Hayton controls the puck better than I thought, but he couldn't win a face-off to save his life...not that that matters much.

Stewart is large and really fast for his size, he played well, and as others have said Bahl was a standout. Liam Kirk had some nice plays as well, and Farinacci & Maccelli played well, the latter with a really nice goal on his first one (empty netter at the end), was extremely patient waiting for 5-hole to open up and then quickly put it through.

The major problem with the night was that none of the players looked like Keller a few years back. Keller was so much better than the rest of the group and you could just tell. None of the top draftees were noticeably better than the rest of the group...which is a bummer.
Maybe the competition was better? This was basically a meet and greet. I wouldn't put much thought of who was good and who was bad.

LuckyNumber11

Jun 10, 2015
Valley of the Sun
I thought Kirk looked really good too. Kid seems to have good hands and just glides out there on the ice. I thought POJ looked bigger than he has in previous camps, but that's just my opinion. That Stewart-Bahl defensive pairing did play pretty well yesterday. Would be nice to see Stewart have a good year at UNO this year and earn an ELC, they need someone to step up there too. (Former STH at UNO speaking) Maccelli I felt was as advertised offensively. Soda I felt looked young, I thought he had a couple of missteps, and could've done more on the POJ goal. Schnarr and Steener I thought had some good chemistry which would be nice for Tucson.

Overall no one really stood out too much, but there were some interesting looking players I thought.

Reactions: Name Nameless

RemoAZ

Let it burn
Mar 30, 2010
Glendale, Arizona
Yeah, but he was drafted in 2017... He is 20 in litterally a couple of days.

I would imagine he has been told this in two prospects camps already, prior to this one?

Ok, this is my pessimism coming to the surface again.

Some guys take longer for their body to mature. Same thing with Strome. Maybe he needs more time. I'm sure that's what Pittsburgh is banking on.

Dr VinnyBoombatz

formerly ctwin22
Mar 21, 2008
Chandler, AZ
Farinacci played well, got off a couple really nice shots and should have scored if not for a great save by the goalie. He's got an incredible wrister, can't wait to see what type of production he has in his 1st year in the NCAA. Here's hoping he gets put on the top 2 lines if that happens I think it will be a breakout season for Farinacci, if he's in the bottom 6 with little to no PP time, his breakout year will be delayed a year.

Reactions: Name Nameless

RemoAZ

Let it burn
Mar 30, 2010
Glendale, Arizona
Farinacci played well, got off a couple really nice shots and should have scored if not for a great save by the goalie. He's got an incredible wrister, can't wait to see what type of production he has in his 1st year in the NCAA. Here's hoping he gets put on the top 2 lines if that happens I think it will be a breakout season for Farinacci, if he's in the bottom 6 with little to no PP time, his breakout year will be delayed a year.

Thanks!

Kaizen

Sep 30, 2004
Prince George B.C.
Thoughts on Dean Stewart signing before this upcoming season? He's a righty - is it time to get him in the system before he decides free agency is worth exploring after his senior year?

LuckyNumber11

Jun 10, 2015
Valley of the Sun
Thoughts on Dean Stewart signing before this upcoming season? He's a righty - is it time to get him in the system before he decides free agency is worth exploring after his senior year?
Has played for UNO in its darkest years yet. Freshman year he was playing injured for most of it, so it's not the best measuring stick. They need him pretty badly to stay healthy this year cause their defense has been putrid the last few years, like giving up 5 goals a game bad. Needs to prove more this junior year to earn an ELC, especially since he's expected to be in their top pairing this year.

Citations: People I know in the media department at UNO and a couple fans of UNO

BUX7PHX

Jul 7, 2011

Or....

it just looks like there is no standout because as you draft better, the players all play a specific way that doesn't necessarily mean that one player is going to be "far and away" the best player. Maybe that is a sign of better drafting than we realize?

I am probably more grasping at straws, but what if we continually find players in the 4th/5th/6th rounds that would be 2nd rounders in mock redrafts 3-5 years from now? That would certainly make it so that one player would have a harder time standing out, no?

BUX7PHX

Jul 7, 2011
Some guys take longer for their body to mature. Same thing with Strome. Maybe he needs more time. I'm sure that's what Pittsburgh is banking on.

There was talk that his brother struggled to put on weight for a time. I think that right after he turned 20, the weight started to stick on for good and it turned into muscle. His brother is 22 and 5 months now, I think. If you look at pictures of his brother from 2 years ago to now, there is a pretty good difference in the shoulders and neck. I truly believe that the POJ one year from now will have added at least 10 lbs. of muscle to his frame.

I was totally fine with selling Galchenyuk. Didn't necessarily think that he would be moved for a better scorer and was hoping to use them on the same line or in the top 6. The Coyotes still have to return something of value, and I don't think an inconsistent 21 year old moves the needle enough with Fischer and draft picks. Remember, people were talking about #14 and Fischer for Kessel. I am certain that a player like POJ may have been mentioned as well, but with different pieces. The only reason Galchenyuk and POJ seems worse than what it is would be due to the potential that POJ has - potential to add weight to his frame, and be his brother's growth in 1-2 years' time. Otherwise, ship the guy out with one year left who didn't change games enough last year and add POJ to the deal with some reluctance.

In the end, that is better than selling the #14 pick, and we gave up someone who will likely play in the NHL in the 2nd/3rd pairing capacity. Hopefully, Capobianco, Bahl, Soderstrom, and a few of the other defensemen we have taken pan out. We know we have OEL and Chychrun for a good amount of time. Four of those five are lefties anyhow, so I am hoping for two of Busby, Emberson, Crotty, or Stewart to pan out. As it appears, I think that two will, so we should have 7 able defensemen to slot in somewhere in the NHL or top 4 of the AHL. 7 out of 10/11 spots filled for another 3-5 years meant we could deal POJ. That's my only concern on the deal was selling a little low on POJ, but they were only guaranteed a year of Galchenyuk. Gotta have some quality prospect coming back to account for 2 fewer years of a better point generator.

Dr VinnyBoombatz

formerly ctwin22
Mar 21, 2008
Chandler, AZ
If I had to rank our RHD prospects, it would be:

1. Soderstrom

pretty good drop
2. Stewart - the kid is large and can skate and makes plays

3. Busby/Crotty/Emberson - they all have more warts than Stewart. Busby is small and Crotty & Emberson lack offensive skill to advance beyond a bottom pairing

Reactions: Antonche

SniperHF

Rejecting Reports
Mar 9, 2007
Phoenix

I really liked his edge and push back I'll think he'll make a great AHLer. But it's not just his offense that holds him back from being a higher pairing at the NHL I think it's also his puck handling in general in the D zone even that might hold him out of the NHL completely. Has a lot of trouble making first passes against tougher competition in tight spaces.

Reactions: Dr VinnyBoombatz

Dr VinnyBoombatz

formerly ctwin22
Mar 21, 2008
Chandler, AZ
I really liked his edge and push back I'll think he'll make a great AHLer. But it's not just his offense that holds him back from being a higher pairing at the NHL I think it's also his puck handling in general in the D zone even that might hold him out of the NHL completely. Has a lot of trouble making first passes against tougher competition in tight spaces.

I agree

Kaizen

Sep 30, 2004
Prince George B.C.
Has played for UNO in its darkest years yet. Freshman year he was playing injured for most of it, so it's not the best measuring stick. They need him pretty badly to stay healthy this year cause their defense has been putrid the last few years, like giving up 5 goals a game bad. Needs to prove more this junior year to earn an ELC, especially since he's expected to be in their top pairing this year.

Citations: People I know in the media department at UNO and a couple fans of UNO
This will be his senior year if he doesn't sign this summer.

Dirty Old Man

Anti-chatter Engine
Sponsor
Jan 29, 2008
Ostrich City
^thanks for that. Will overwrite my only other memory of him, looking *extremely* awkward and uncomfortable being introduced before a game (cannot recall if it was preseason or home opener, seems like latter?) last season.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->