Coyotes on TV discussion ( FSAZ, 3TV, CW6)

goyotes

May 4, 2007
Arizona
A week away from opening night and still no word on a television contract. Does anyone remember when the FSN schedule was announced last year? This seems very unusal. The KTAR deal was a welcomed surprise. Hopefully, the Coyotes can get FSN to televise all games, given the Suns broadcasts will likely be down in ratings, and no more ASU college games because of the PAC 12 network.

SniperHF

Rejecting Reports
Mar 9, 2007
Phoenix
A week away from opening night and still no word on a television contract. Does anyone remember when the FSN schedule was announced last year? This seems very unusal. The KTAR deal was a welcomed surprise. Hopefully, the Coyotes can get FSN to televise all games, given the Suns broadcasts will likely be down in ratings, and no more ASU college games because of the PAC 12 network.

Last year doesn't work cause the lockout. But in 11-12 it was announced on Sept 15th.

I hope it's just going late because new ownership is putting the screws to FSAZ trying to get better exposure.

GiveAFlyingPuck

Boring hockey aficionado
Sponsor
Jun 19, 2011
NW Valley of the Sun
Looking at the Oct 3rd schedule for FSAZ it shows the Shane Doan "In my Words" at 5:30 and TBD from 6 to 10. I'd guess they're planning on an hour long pre-game and then the game from the looks of it; as long as there is an agreement that they are going to televise the games this year.

XX

Waiting for Ishbia
Dec 10, 2002
PHX
Who might they be in talks with if negotiations aren't working out with FSAZ?

Nobody serious. They'd have to have some sort of hodgepodge agreement with several local networks to get decent coverage. As was pointed out earlier; the Suns will be awful and it's not like the D'Backs will be coming off a great season either. I think the IA guys are pushing hard for either a good deal or more coverage/promotion. They're marketing folk so I'll leave it up to them.

It's generally not a great deal unless both parties are sweating a bit. No way FSAZ walks away from the Coyotes, and no way the team does the same. Just gamesmanship and negotiation at this point.

I don't really care for the in my own words stuff and all that, but more time on the primary channel should be a negotiating priority. Put baseball where it belongs.

0point1

Sep 14, 2011
Arizona
It is too bad the Suns don't launch their own cable channel like the Lakers did in LA. Then the Coyotes and Diamondback could share FSN-AZ without too much of an issue (mostly in April). The problem is the Suns don't have enough of a following to justify their own channel.

If the Diamondbacks launched their own channel like the Dodgers did, they could bring the Coyotes or Suns on board and free up FSN-AZ for the left over team and FSN-AZ could fill the rest of the schedule with college games and poker like they already do.

I think XX is right, IA is probably fighting for the Coyotes while before with the NHL as owners they would just take whatever FSN-AZ gave them.

XX

Waiting for Ishbia
Dec 10, 2002
PHX
The Suns are much more popular and have a higher viewership. Even though they are going to be terrible for the next five years and the Coyotes should be really good in that same span.

Their ratings fell off a cliff last season though, if I remember right from data someone posted here. If executives figure that to keep up, the Coyotes will have a shot at preferential treatment.

Dirty Old Man

So funny I forgot to laugh
Sponsor
Jan 29, 2008
Ostrich City
If the Suns get FSAZ over the Coyotes on nights both teams play, I might explode.

Prepare to explode, but they can use FSAZ+ if you get that. I've seen that done on both Cox and Directv.

I wonder if "Fox sports one" is an option as cox offers the channel now?

No - FS1 (formerly Speed) and FS2 (formerly...FuelTV) are both national channels. Anything national with the NHL will be on an NBC channel, not Fox

cobra427

May 6, 2012
Prepare to explode, but they can use FSAZ+ if you get that. I've seen that done on both Cox and Directv.

No - FS1 (formerly Speed) and FS2 (formerly...FuelTV) are both national channels. Anything national with the NHL will be on an NBC channel, not Fox

Thanks...I think it will be Fox sports, unless there is a conflict, then it will be FSAZ+, just like last year...Hopefully, all the games...

2yotesfans88

Jan 27, 2008
Just saw on Rich Narin's twitter that they expect an announcement soon. Hope so.

good i hope there is a contract announced. i grew up in chicago during the dark years. it would kill me as a kid back in the 80s to only be able to watch away games. nightmare.

Howler Scores

Mar 13, 2011
Maricopa County
I really want it to be on another channel that would promote the Yotes as their primary event. So there could be weeks when I get to listen to gospel music as a pregame show followed by bubba blade commercials on FSN+

-end rant

theoriginal55

Aug 6, 2005
In the paper today they had a blurb on Fox Sports coverage saying they would be carrying the first two games, and stating they would not be carrying the Islanders game on Tuesday and the upcoming Hurricanes game. The Hurricanes game not being covered makes sense because it starts at 11am AZ time directly against Sunday NFL coverage. The article states again that they are trying to work out a long term contract.

This has hurt our home opener attendance imo, because it has minimized the normal build-up the Coyotes would have gotten on promotional commercials on Fox Sports AZ.

SniperHF

Rejecting Reports
Mar 9, 2007
Phoenix
I really don't know what to make of the whole situation at this point. As the Coyotes I'd basically be begging FS-AZ to show games, it's not like the ratings are huge.

GiveAFlyingPuck

Boring hockey aficionado
Sponsor
Jun 19, 2011
NW Valley of the Sun
From twitter:

Brett Hansen ‏@bretthansen5 13m

Last night’s #Coyotes = tied for best rating @FOXSPORTSAZ has ever had for its first telecast of the season. 1.3 (2010 - same rtg vs DET)

Dolemite

The one...the only...
Sponsor
May 4, 2004
Washington DC

Based on past conversations with FSNAZ, the priority of their schedule goes to the Suns. Once the Suns schedule is set, everything else falls in place.

Howler Scores

Mar 13, 2011
Maricopa County
Coyotes Announce Partnership with 3TV to Televise 10 Over-the-Air Games This Season

OCTOBER
Tuesday, Oct. 8: at New York Islanders 4:00 p.m. - CW6
Sunday, Oct. 13: at Carolina 10:00 a.m. - 3TV

NOVEMBER
Tuesday, Nov. 5: Vancouver 7:00 p.m. - 3TV
Wednesday, Nov. 6: at Anaheim 8:00 p.m. - 3TV
Monday, Nov. 25: at Nashville 6:00 p.m. - 3TV
Wednesday, Nov. 27: at Minnesota 6:00 p.m. - 3TV

DECEMBER
Tuesday, Dec. 10: at Colorado 7:00 p.m. - 3TV
Friday, Dec. 27: San Jose 7:00 p.m. - 3TV
Saturday, Dec. 28: at Anaheim 6:00 p.m. - 3TV