Confirmed with Link: Coyotes officially rebranding; sign with MullenLowe agency

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
The UC Santa Cruz Banana Slugs would like a word.
The story behind the fighting artichokes is really good, though. It was a student protest. The school made the mistake of cutting academic programs while simultaneously expanding the athletics program, while also hosting a student naming poll to name the athletics teams. A student body that was presently miffed about academics cuts, fired back naming the team the Fighting Artichokes. :)

That might be an urban legend. But that's the way I understand it.

Reactions: Summer Rose

Coyotedroppings

Jul 16, 2017
Yeah it worked and is a good brand and name today. At the time though it sucked, and their unis looked like christmas trees. My gf at the time bought me an authentic jersey and I have it in my closet to this day. Never wore it. Not once.
Forgot about those Christmas trees!

Canis Latrans

Jan 19, 2015
Australia
1995-96Nordiquesjerseys.png

Here's what the Nordiques were to wear had they not moved to Colorado.

Reactions: Biz20

Bondurant

Jul 4, 2012
Phoenix, Arizona
You mean the Portland Sea Dogs stole the two best nicknames for a day (or two).

Minor league baseball struck gold with temporary rebrands. Teams tip their hats to local culture and make a killing moving merchandise. I went to a West Michigan Whitecaps game for their one day appearance as the Beer City Bung Hammers. They hooked me in and I left with a hat and t-shirt.

MIGs Dog

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 3, 2012
Minor league baseball struck gold with temporary rebrands. Teams tip their hats to local culture and make a killing moving merchandise. I went to a West Michigan Whitecaps game for their one day appearance as the Beer City Bung Hammers. They hooked me in and I left with a hat and t-shirt.

Independent league team the KC T-Bones, who already had a great name with ties to KCs historic beef industry, have partnered with the Negro League Museum and are now known as the KC Monarchs. Jackie Robinson played for the Monarchs, but you probably knew that.

170px-Jackie_Robinson_Kansas_City_Monarchs.jpg

Dirty Old Man

So funny I forgot to laugh
Sponsor
Jan 29, 2008
Ostrich City
^Just brainstorming her,e, that would make for an interesting scene in a historical fiction series, a la "the man in the high castle"...what if baseball had remained segregated into the 1980s, after the dawn of cable tv, and been covered by a network like BET?

MIGs Dog

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 3, 2012
^Just brainstorming her,e, that would make for an interesting scene in a historical fiction series, a la "the man in the high castle"...what if baseball had remained segregated into the 1980s, after the dawn of cable tv, and been covered by a network like BET?

The Pirates never would have won the 1979 World Series.

Reactions: Randy Butternubs

RemoAZ

Let it burn
Mar 30, 2010
Glendale, Arizona
I went to game 1 of that series.
That's right around when I became a Pirates fan. There was a cable station with Pirates games on aired here in the mid to late 70s. The intro had players pretending to be in a band playing the intro song "You're in for a thrill, Pirates Base-Balllll yeah!" Willie Stargell, Dave Parker, Omar Moreno, Kent Tekulve, John Candalaria, Garner, Foli, Madlock....ah the memories when baseball was still fun to watch.

SniperHF

Rejecting Reports
Mar 9, 2007
Phoenix
The history is the history.

Correct. I probably wouldn't have had the ceremonies/banners for all the 'Peg greats but at the time it seemed quite unlikely they would get another team.

That said, I'll trade their history for a 1st round pick as I've said for years. Offer's on the table guys up north your move :naughty:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad