Confirmed with Link: Coyotes offer Bill Armstrong GM position (update: confirmed as GM)

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
Both of our primary assistants seem like future head coaches. Van Ryn is probably ready sooner.
Steve Sullivan hired him to be the Head Coach for our AHL affiliate in Tucson. MVR was extremely successful down there. Made a real impact. Conor Garland still talks about it. If BA keeps Steve Sullivan on as AGM, I could see MVR ending up with Tocchet’s job.

Reactions: Heldig

Spear

Anonymous source FOR HIRE
Sponsor
Mar 31, 2009
St. Louis, MO
Both of our primary assistants seem like future head coaches. Van Ryn is probably ready sooner.

I made a poll on the Coyotes board a couple of weeks ago and I think the results were 50 in favor of firing Tocchet immediately, 2 in favor of waiting to fire him until mid-season, and only 1 in favor of not firing him at all. It’s fairly unanimous on our board that we want Tocchet out. The most discussed name for a potential replacement amongst our little group? Mike Van Ryn. :)

BOTH Bill Armstrong and Mike Van Ryn ?
Blues fans demand compensation! (just don't wake up judge Houston)

Reactions: Vladys Gumption

Blueston

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 4, 2016
Houston, TX
Steve Sullivan hired him to be the Head Coach for our AHL affiliate in Tucson. MVR was extremely successful down there. Made a real impact. Conor Garland still talks about it. If BA keeps Steve Sullivan on as AGM, I could see MVR ending up with Tocchet’s job.
Thanks for color. I thought he had been at Tuscon.

Alklha

Sep 7, 2011
So LeBrun is saying that he has a five year contract, which makes sense to what it would take. Gives Armstrong security and let's him see through whatever plan he's laid out to ownership that got him the job.

I wonder if we will see some activity between the Blues and Coyotes in the next month.

Stealth JD

Don't condescend me, man.
Sponsor
Jan 16, 2006
Bonita Springs, FL
Wow...Congrats to Bill Armstrong. Very well deserved. The Coyotes will benefit tremendously from this hire. If MVR goes too, well then that's just a good reflection on the job Doug Armstrong and staff have done in the past decade-plus. Very happy for Barmy. He'll be sorely missed in the Blues organization. Hopefully our next hire proves to be as good as his predecessor(s). Those are some big shoes to fill.

Heldig

Apr 12, 2002
BC
So LeBrun is saying that he has a five year contract, which makes sense to what it would take. Gives Armstrong security and let's him see through whatever plan he's laid out to ownership that got him the job.

I wonder if we will see some activity between the Blues and Coyotes in the next month.
Clearly the plan for the Coyotes is to dump OEL for futures so the new GM can sign Pieterangelo :)

2018-19 Cup Champs!
Mar 22, 2012
Only a matter of time. He’s too good of a hockey mind to be an assistant forever.

I am a little concerned about this upcoming draft though. B-Army would obviously have insider information on the Blues’ targets and scouting reports while the Blues would not have the Yotes’ info. Doesn’t seem entirely fair, but also probably isn’t that big of a deal.

Congrats to B-Army either way. I think he’ll definitely have success in his new role.

Reactions: SwivelSchwartz

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
Only a matter of time. He’s too good of a hockey mind to be an assistant forever.

I am a little concerned about this upcoming draft though. B-Army would obviously have insider information on the Blues’ targets and scouting reports while the Blues would not have the Yotes’ info. Doesn’t seem entirely fair, but also probably isn’t that big of a deal.

Congrats to B-Army either way. I think he’ll definitely have success in his new role.
Historically the new GM doesn’t participate in the draft if he’s hired away from another team right before. For the Coyotes that likely means Hofford will run the draft. Afterwards, Armstrong will have to decide whether he wants to keep or replace Hofford and his scouting staff.

mk80

Jul 30, 2012
Good for Bill, bad for the Blues. But it all depends on who fills the AGM and Director of Scouting roles for us.

Ranksu

Crotch Academy ftw
Sponsor
Apr 28, 2014
Lapland
Sad day for Blues. Bill deserve it. Hopefully we don't end up deep downhill, but this clearly doesn't look promising.

All the cards are now Doug Armstrong's hands. Jeesus Christ.

First losing Bill and then maybe Pietrangelo. :(

Last edited:

Bluesnatic27

Aug 5, 2011
Great for BA. Hopefully he becomes the answer for Arizona, because he did some great things for St. Louis.

But I hope that the Blues still keep their scouting staff.

Brian39

Apr 24, 2014
I am a little concerned about this upcoming draft though. B-Army would obviously have insider information on the Blues’ targets and scouting reports while the Blues would not have the Yotes’ info.
The Coyotes don't have a draft pick in the first 3 rounds this year. Even if Bill shares some info about our plans, they don't really have the ability to poach guys we wanted.

Reactions: Celtic Note

Brockon

Cautiously optimistic realist when caffeinated.
Aug 20, 2017
Northern Canada
The Coyotes don't have a draft pick in the first 3 rounds this year. Even if Bill shares some info about our plans, they don't really have the ability to poach guys we wanted.

They have 80.4m spent with 17 players under contract... 1.1m to sign 6 guys doesn't add up. Even after the Hossa contract is placed on LTIR that's 6.38m space for 6 guys. Doable but... They need a 3C unless that's Hayton that's an external fill they're not going to be paying league minimum for...

BA has a lot of work to clean up before he can even start trying to implement his vision - unless he lets the Yotes crater for the next season so he has 27+ mil come off the books that way.

They've got to clear cap, I'd expect they'll receive some draft capital in the first 3 rounds for some of the upcoming moves. Especially if the rumours that ownership wants to stop spending to the cap without gate revenue coming in happen to be true - they'll be moving a few desirable assets. I'll be surprised if the Yotes don't end up drafting in the top 60 picks.

Guys like Demers, Goligoski, Brassard and Grabner all go UFA after this season. Some minor retention will see something like a 3rd-5th come in, and retaining more could put that in the 2nd-3rd territory with ease.

Last edited:

Stealth JD

Don't condescend me, man.
Sponsor
Jan 16, 2006
Bonita Springs, FL
But B.Army would know who the Blues maybe be targeting for later rounds, and could easily take a guy he likes in the 5th round. That could be viewed as breaking an unwritten code or met with some grumbling. Best to not even put yourself in that situation. The Blues would know if Arizona plucked a guy they were looking at.

Davimir Tarablad

Sep 16, 2015
But B.Army would know who the Blues maybe be targeting for later rounds, and could easily take a guy he likes in the 5th round. That could be viewed as breaking an unwritten code or met with some grumbling. Best to not even put yourself in that situation. The Blues would know if Arizona plucked a guy they were looking at.

Blues made a deal with Bill Armstrong, who had two years left on his deal, that he can’t be involved with Arizona’s draft. Army: “All the work that he has done is information for the St. Louis Blues, so he won’t be able to assist in any draft selections for Arizona this year.”

Reactions: Brockon and Ranksu

Stlblue50

Apr 17, 2019
You would think Bill would have some loyalty to the Blues after being in the organization for 10+ years.

That being said, why couldn’t have they agreed to hire him but not officially start until right after the draft or just wait because it’s only 2 weeks away.

BlueDream

Aug 30, 2011
You would think Bill would have some loyalty to the Blues after being in the organization for 10+ years.

That being said, why couldn’t have they agreed to hire him but not officially start until right after the draft or just wait because it’s only 2 weeks away.
Because there are other GM duties besides just the draft... free agency literally starts like 2 days after the draft.

They need someone to negotiate contracts with players and trades with GMs. Asking them to wait to hire a GM is crazy talk.

Celtic Note

Living the dream
Dec 22, 2006
Because there are other GM duties besides just the draft... free agency literally starts like 2 days after the draft.

They need someone to negotiate contracts with players and trades with GMs. Asking them to wait to hire a GM is crazy talk.
Plus, he can make trades before and during the draft. He just can be involved in player selection.

Stupendous Yappi

Any famous last words? Not yet!
Sponsor
Aug 23, 2018
Erwin, TN

What about this suggests a lack of loyalty to you? It’s a huge opportunity for him, and sounds like he has the full support of the Blues organization who certainly were asked for permission to contact him.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad