Confirmed with Link: Coyotes offer Bill Armstrong GM position (update: confirmed as GM)

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
Craig Morgan is THE source for Coyotes news and the only credible writer covering the team. His word is bond, for sure. Very cautious with his sources, etc. This is real.

Not sure if Armstrong will accept. Seems likely he will since he went through the trouble of multiple rounds of interviews.

As a Coyotes fan, I’m hoping you all can help me out. The Blues are good and the Coyotes are trash. So that’s a good start. The Coyotes are maybe the worst drafting team and the Blues are really good at it. So that’s not nothing. But my question is this:

What has he done recently for the Blues outside of amateur scouting/entry drafts? Did he have any other major hockey operations responsibilities for you all?

Thanks guys!

Reactions: Stupendous Yappi

Stupendous Yappi

Any famous last words? Not yet!
Sponsor
Aug 23, 2018
Erwin, TN
It’s a tough call. I’m sure he wants to be a GM more than anything. But the owner appears to have meddled a lot with the Hall situation and forced the last GM into a situation where he simply resigned. If you don’t have authority to do your job, it’s untenable. Can Bill be assured that won’t happen to him?

Reactions: MissouriMook

Stupendous Yappi

Sponsor
Aug 23, 2018
Erwin, TN
Craig Morgan is THE source for Coyotes news and the only credible writer covering the team. His word is bond, for sure. Very cautious with his sources, etc. This is real.

Not sure if Armstrong will accept. Seems likely he will since he went through the trouble of multiple rounds of interviews.

As a Coyotes fan, I’m hoping you all can help me out. The Blues are good and the Coyotes are trash. So that’s a good start. The Coyotes are maybe the worst drafting team and the Blues are really good at it. So that’s not nothing. But my question is this:

What has he done recently for the Blues outside of amateur scouting/entry drafts? Did he have any other major hockey operations responsibilities for you all?

Thanks guys!
No other public responsibilities that are known, but I strongly suspect he did have some beyond the amateur scouting.

rt

May 13, 2004
It’s a tough call. I’m sure he wants to be a GM more than anything. But the owner appears to have meddled a lot with the Hall situation and forced the last GM into a situation where he simply resigned. If you don’t have authority to do your job, it’s untenable. Can Bill be assured that won’t happen to him?
That is a wildly inaccurate interpretation of events for the last GM and the owner.

Chayka convinced Meruelo to allow him to trade for Hall. It was NOT the other way around. The Coyotes were in first place when that happened. Chayka said he owed it to the players to reward them for their efforts by bringing in premier support. Ownership in no way directed this.

Ownership in no way forced Chayka’s resignation. He got busted lying to them about interviewing for another hockey job, in direct contradiction to assurances he made ownership about his intentions. He lied and quit and left the team in a terrible position.

Chayka quit in the midst of a temper tantrum the day he was supposed to report to he bubble. Left his team with a terrible distraction as they attempted to prepare for the playoffs.

Cherry on top was the league sanctions that stripped the team of a 1st and 2nd round pick because Chayka and his staff were caught cheating. They were running an illegal prospect testing program and were caught and severely punished.

Chayka set the Coyotes back years and years with his ineptitude and dishonesty. He’s easily the worst NHL GM since Peter Chiarelli and is right up there with Mike Milbury.

Reactions: Cotton McKnight

simon IC

Sponsor
Sep 8, 2007
Canada

Thanks guys!
Congratulations! I am sad if BA is leaving. His scouting has been really good. Not flawless, but really good. In answer to your question, I honestly do not know how much influence he had in terms of hockey operations.

Stupendous Yappi

Sponsor
Aug 23, 2018
Erwin, TN
That is a wildly inaccurate interpretation of events for the last GM and the owner.

Chayka convinced Meruelo to allow him to trade for Hall. It was NOT the other way around. The Coyotes were in first place when that happened. Chayka said he owed it to the players to reward them for their efforts by bringing in premier support. Ownership in no way directed this.

Ownership in no way forced Chayka’s resignation. He got busted lying to them about interviewing for another hockey job, in direct contradiction to assurances he made ownership about his intentions. He lied and quit and left the team in a terrible position.

Chayka quit in the midst of a temper tantrum the day he was supposed to report to he bubble. Left his team with a terrible distraction as they attempted to prepare for the playoffs.

Cherry on top was the league sanctions that stripped the team of a 1st and 2nd round pick because Chayka and his staff were caught cheating. They were running an illegal prospect testing program and were caught and severely punished.

Chayka set the Coyotes back years and years with his ineptitude and dishonesty. He’s easily the worst NHL GM since Peter Chiarelli and is right up there with Mike Milbury.
Thanks for the info. I was referring to the rumored meetings with Hall behind the GMs back (negotiating with him to re-sign), not the trade.

Why didn’t the ownership fire him for those issues you listed?

Reactions: MissouriMook

rt

May 13, 2004
Thanks for the info. I was referring to the rumored meetings with Hall behind the GMs back (negotiating with him to re-sign), not the trade.

Why didn’t the ownership fire him for those issues you listed?
They’re seeking legal action through the league. He was already persona non grata at the time of that dinner meeting you are referencing. They had the meeting without him because they literally had no choice.

rt

May 13, 2004
This is a good article about the Chayka situation:
Why were the Coyotes so angry that GM John Chayka quit?

I expect him to barred from the league for several years and I hope the Devils will face sanctions.

All of that aside, I’m more interested in learning about Bill Armstrong.

Anything at all notable to share outside of effective amateur scouting related duties?

Reactions: Stupendous Yappi

Ranksu

Crotch Academy ftw
Sponsor
Apr 28, 2014
Lapland
Feels like Bill get more and more power to influence get picks what ge wanted at draft. Few misses, but overally good result. Hard to know how much Bill had to do with ROR or Schenn trades. Ofc all credit has gone for Army, but I assume there is bigger mind behind all in those great trades. Idk, just assume. Yes I'm Bill fan.

It will end this era if he leaves. It will hurt us in long run.

Last edited:

Stealth JD

Don't condescend me, man.
Sponsor
Jan 16, 2006
Bonita Springs, FL
Morning check-in hoping to see news of a Pietrangelo-extension. Instead...

tenor.gif

Last edited:

Alklha

Sep 7, 2011
Well, there’s still time for the Coyotes to cheap-out and BA to balk at their offer:

Might not even be about cheaping out, if I was Bill Armstrong then it's going to take a significant contract and clear promises to make me take the Coyotes job. If there is going to be interference then he's setting himself up to fail, and I mention interference because right now they seem to be making big decisions without a GM.

If he isn't going to get a longer term deal than normal, is he going to get the time to go through the pain phase that they probably need?

I mean, they have one pick in the first three rounds of the next two drafts. The prospect pool is good, but not great. They have some contracts that could be good or terrible (Keller & Schmaltz). The OEL contract looks ugly with his recent standard of play, but it appears easily moveable. What's the budget going to be like otherwise?

rt

May 13, 2004
Might not even be about cheaping out, if I was Bill Armstrong then it's going to take a significant contract and clear promises to make me take the Coyotes job. If there is going to be interference then he's setting himself up to fail, and I mention interference because right now they seem to be making big decisions without a GM.

If he isn't going to get a longer term deal than normal, is he going to get the time to go through the pain phase that they probably need?

I mean, they have one pick in the first three rounds of the next two drafts. The prospect pool is good, but not great. They have some contracts that could be good or terrible (Keller & Schmaltz). The OEL contract looks ugly with his recent standard of play, but it appears easily moveable. What's the budget going to be like otherwise?
The Coyotes are perhaps the biggest mess in the NHL outside of arguably Ottawa and Buffalo. But I’m sure that’s not news to BA and yet he’s gone through the process of multiple interviews over multiple weeks, anyway.

To answer your question about budget, the rumor is $70-71m in actual cash (not aav) for the roster. The source of that rumor claims a sizable percentage of teams in the league will have a similar, self-imposed budget. So it’s not unique to Arizona.

Pre-COVID, the Coyotes were one of only a few teams with a legitimate billionaire (with a b) owner. Unfortunately, the vast majority of his fortune was invested in hospitality and gaming. So this is certainly a lean-period for him to say the least.

Blueston

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 4, 2016
Houston, TX
Super happy for him. Always great to see your guys get opportunities to grow. While if he takes job it will hurt to lose him (or eventually perhaps Ott of MVR), this also helps us attract more great folks when they see 2 consecutive scouting directors leaving to be GMs.

Reactions: stl76

BrokenFace

Aug 15, 2010
STL
Bill Armstrong has been so smart as an AGM for us; I hope he is smart enough to realize what a bad situation ARZ is in these next few years. He should be patient and wait for a better opportunity.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
You are wrong about the Hall situation. It's my understanding Chayka approached our owner about the Hall acquisition and it was given. Chayka QUIT the team. Chayka lied to our owner. rt did a better job than me linking and explaining what all went down.

Last edited:

Brian39

Apr 24, 2014
For starters, I'd be shocked if salary, term and his level of autonomy weren't discussed in detail during his 2nd interview. It would be extremely weird for them to make an offer that didn't meet B Army's stated expectations. Having a candidate publically deny your offer because he feels it is a low ball is a PR nightmare. If they weren't willing to make an offer in line with his expectations, there is no reason to make the offer. They would have agreed it wasn't a good fit during the interview and moved on. I can't imagine that this offer is a low ball.

I expect that he will be announced as their GM in the next 48 hours.

I'm very happy for him personally, but this is a blow to the Blues. With that said, if he was going to leave the organization, now is probably the best time for it to happen. His strength is scouting and/or player development. Those things are always important for every NHL team, but they are less important for the Blues right now than they ever have been and likely will be in a few years. We are at the phase of our window where we should be using futures assets to support a current roster. We still need good scouting and development, but we are less reliant on it now than we were 3 years ago or will be 3 years from now. If you have to replace a guy like B Army, your organization is better off finding/grooming that next front office talent now than in 3 years when you absolutely need to be drafting exceptionally well.

Again, scouting and development is always important and this is a blow to the organization. But it is less of a blow today than it would have been a couple years ago or a couple years from now. We should have our draft board nearly finalized for the upcoming draft so his work for the 2020 draft was largely complete. If you have to have a couple "bad" drafts due to front office growing pains, having then in 2021 and 2022 is the best time to have them given the current roster construction.

Stupendous Yappi

Sponsor
Aug 23, 2018
Erwin, TN
You are wrong about the Hall situation. It's my understanding Chayka approached our owner about the Hall acquisition and it was given. Chayka QUIT the team. Chayka lied to our owner. rt did a better job than me linking and explaining what all went down.
I’m not referring to the trade. If you read the whole thread you’ll see we discussed this further.

With the case against Chaka, I’m a little confused why he hadn’t been fired.

rt

May 13, 2004
Super happy for him. Always great to see your guys get opportunities to grow. While if he takes job it will hurt to lose him (or eventually perhaps Ott of MVR), this also helps us attract more great folks when they see 2 consecutive scouting directors leaving to be GMs.
I made a poll on the Coyotes board a couple of weeks ago and I think the results were 50 in favor of firing Tocchet immediately, 2 in favor of waiting to fire him until mid-season, and only 1 in favor of not firing him at all. It’s fairly unanimous on our board that we want Tocchet out. The most discussed name for a potential replacement amongst our little group? Mike Van Ryn. :)

rt

May 13, 2004
I’m not referring to the trade. If you read the whole thread you’ll see we discussed this further.

With the case against Chaka, I’m a little confused why he hadn’t been fired.
He wasn’t fired because the team wanted to avoid the distraction right before the bubble. They wanted him to remain with the team until the conclusion of play, and then work out the exit strategy afterwards at a more appropriate time. He attempted to use the bubble entry deadline as leverage to get a rushed exit commitment from the team beforehand. They weren’t willing to accommodate his last minute demands, and he voided his contract hours before the team left for the bubble.

He’s a real shit. :)

Blueston

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 4, 2016
Houston, TX
I made a poll on the Coyotes board a couple of weeks ago and I think the results were 50 in favor of firing Tocchet immediately, 2 in favor of waiting to fire him until mid-season, and only 1 in favor of not firing him at all. It’s fairly unanimous on our board that we want Tocchet out. The most discussed name for a potential replacement amongst our little group? Mike Van Ryn. :)
Both of our primary assistants seem like future head coaches. Van Ryn is probably ready sooner.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad