Coyotes Nane Jon Elkin and Corey Schwab as Goaltending Coaches

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
wiki has this on Schwab:
He served as goaltending development coach and scout for three seasons (2005–08) with the Tampa Bay Lightning. He is currently the goaltending development coach for the San Jose Sharks (2008-current).

rt

May 13, 2004
Elkin is Smith's personal goalie coach:

http://www.thegoalieguild.com/2012/05/15/jon-elkin-mike-smith-and-patience/

From 2012
With pro goalie coach Jon Elkin, I quickly came to learn that he not only understands the many shades of patience, but he has mastered them all first-hand as a goaltender, a goalie coach, and a mentor. He did this through the training and development of many pro, junior, and youth goaltenders, including his prized pupil, Coyotes goaltender Mike Smith.

Appears to also claim Justin Peters and Andrew Raycroft as his own. Not sure a Smith, Peter, Raycroft trio of pupils is much to brag about.

KG

Sep 23, 2010
lol we hire Smith's personal pet. After the Riberio buyout, I think GMDM realized we are completely stuck with this garbage contract.

rt

May 13, 2004
Yeah, I suspect Elkin works with only with Smith, while Schwab will work with every goaltender in the system currently playing in N.America, either pro or amateur. That's my guess, anyway.

Mosby

Salt Lake Bound
Feb 16, 2012
Toronto
I'm a big fan of Schwab's technical skills. Elkin seems like a good fit with Smith too, so may as well go all in.

Last edited:

Mosby

Salt Lake Bound
Feb 16, 2012
Toronto
Yeah, I suspect Elkin works with only with Smith, while Schwab will work with every goaltender in the system currently playing in N.America, either pro or amateur. That's my guess, anyway.

You're correct. As per the press release:

"Elkin, who will work with all goaltenders on the Coyotes’ NHL roster..."

"[Schwab] will be responsible for the Coyotes’ minor league goaltenders and will assist in goalie evaluations..."

rt

May 13, 2004
I had some memory issues so I decided to bump this thread for anyone else who forgot. It sounds like Elkin will stay on another year despite Smith's departure.

Ebb

the nondescript
Dec 22, 2015
PA
I had some memory issues so I decided to bump this thread for anyone else who forgot. It sounds like Elkin will stay on another year despite Smith's departure.

If he stays on, I can see us only going with young NHL goalies since that's where his expertise is. Of course, he may prefer to work with Hill/Miska. If he's willing to stay, at least he'll have to be more "present" with the team.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad