Coyotes History: Why did they fire Don Hay after year 1?

SniperHF

Rejecting Reports
Mar 9, 2007
Phoenix
Since I was like 10 years old when this happened I'm curious as to why it did.

Found this article:
Coyotes fire Hay after first season as coach

``I still don’t know why this happened,″ Hay added. ``I asked Bobby, but he didn’t give much of an answer.″

Smith said his decision to fire the coaching staff still would have been made if Phoenix advanced to the second round.
(which seems crazy to me in hindsight given what happened afterward :biglaugh: )

First year, guy signs a 3 year deal, team improves on their record from the year prior. Canned?

And it's not like Schoenfeld was a huge improvement, actually they were slightly worse record wise.

Was it part of a Bobby Smith power play to bring in his own people after they dumped Paddock?

Clemson manager's KO ruled accidental; Coyotes fire GM, combine positions; Amateurs nominated for Sullivan Award

NHL The Phoenix Coyotes fired general manager John Paddock and consolidated his duties with those of the team's top officer for player and hockey decisions. Bobby Smith, a 15-year NHL star hired May 21 as executive vice president for hockey operations, pulled the trigger on Paddock and will be responsible for the Coyotes' on-ice product. There had been speculation for weeks that first-year coach Don Hay would be fired. Smith said firing Hay after giving the Calgary Flames a 1997 draft pick so they would release their prized assistant was never an option. The Coyotes are 10-15 this season.

That '97 pick was a third rounder from googling around, obviously that was just a BS line cause I wouldn't sweat firing a HC over a 3rd rounder I had already given up if it had to be done.

Maybe some of the folks around who were paying attention back then can help elaborate.

Reactions: CC96

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->