Coyotes hire Arena Consultant - News in Two Weeks or Something

Status
Not open for further replies.

Matias Maccete

Chopping up defenses
Sep 21, 2014
I think we'll get vague assurances for 10-11 months and then the team will relocate to another market out of state.

Yup more of the same song and dance that's been going on already. "We are in talks with multiple cities, we're confident a deal will get done within the next few months."Change that message slightly and reuse it every other month.

I do still have some hope that they're waiting to announce a deal at the draft party. They used it to unveil the jerseys last year so maybe they'll do something similar. That's mostly just me lying to myself though. False hope is ok for now, it's too early for full blown pessimism.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
I think we'll get vague assurances for 10-11 months and then the team will relocate to another market out of state.

you really believe that? I'd be shocked personally.

The team is not moving. Everything is heading in the right direction. This organization is in the best position it has been since moving here.

RABBIT

Years of my life w you f*cks only to get relocated
I'm a realist here. I don't have unreal expectations, but for those of you who think being a realist means expecting the worse, because the worst always happens to us, need to be real on their thinking of how bad this would make the lead NHL brass if we're suddenly moved now. Why move the team now when just a couple years ago, you had the perfect chance, perfect excuse to move them? If they were going to relocate this team, it would've happened when the NHL owned us. Now suddenly we're going to move when we have ownership? You're thinking ass backwards.

If the team moved, the NHL will be under so much fire. What took you so long? Why not move them in the first place? Why talk expansion draft when you can just move a team and keep everything even at 30 teams? Why waste so much money on a team that relocated anyway? Those are decisions that get your fired. Just let go of all this relocation crap. If it was going to jappen, it would've. We wouldn't have moved in a minor league team, extended our coach out of the blue, or updated the press about anything regarding plans with ASU or Scottsdale.

Fire back with any facts you guys want, i removed my tin foil cap a couple years ago.

XX

Waiting for Ishbia
Dec 10, 2002
PHX
Why move the team now when just a couple years ago, you had the perfect chance, perfect excuse to move them? If they were going to relocate this team, it would've happened when the NHL owned us. Now suddenly we're going to move when we have ownership? You're thinking ass backwards.

Since this seems to be the core of your belief; they never had the perfect chance to move the team. First, a move as a result of a third party actor they never approved of (Balsille) would look bad and defeat the purpose of the legal battle. Second, the league hasn't really ever had to hold the bag. When they were in a situation to do so, the team was quite literally a bad vote away from moving. To relocate a team, the league needs to run out of options in a given market, as what happened in Atlanta when the only arena in town kicked them out. You also need to consider your opportunity cost aka what are other markets worth, and does the league want them to have a team.

Only recently have other cities come online to the point where they can take a team. Only recently have the Coyotes truly run out of options. Contractually speaking, this team isn't committed to the valley beyond next year, no matter how many small gestures they make you use as evidence otherwise.

We're at another (sorry) tipping point. Just because the Coyotes survived the last once by a slim margin doesn't make the team invincible, or concerned people conspiracy theorists.

RABBIT

Years of my life w you f*cks only to get relocated
Since this seems to be the core of your belief; they never had the perfect chance to move the team. First, a move as a result of a third party actor they never approved of (Balsille) would look bad and defeat the purpose of the legal battle. Second, the league hasn't really ever had to hold the bag. When they were in a situation to do so, the team was quite literally a bad vote away from moving. To relocate a team, the league needs to run out of options in a given market, as what happened in Atlanta when the only arena in town kicked them out. You also need to consider your opportunity cost aka what are other markets worth, and does the league want them to have a team.

Only recently have other cities come online to the point where they can take a team. Only recently have the Coyotes truly run out of options. Contractually speaking, this team isn't committed to the valley beyond next year, no matter how many small gestures they make you use as evidence otherwise.

We're at another (sorry) tipping point. Just because the Coyotes survived the last once by a slim margin doesn't make the team invincible, or concerned people conspiracy theorists.

XX, we'll look back at this conversation and laugh in a couple years. I guarantee it.

cobra427

May 6, 2012
I'm a realist here. I don't have unreal expectations, but for those of you who think being a realist means expecting the worse, because the worst always happens to us, need to be real on their thinking of how bad this would make the lead NHL brass if we're suddenly moved now. Why move the team now when just a couple years ago, you had the perfect chance, perfect excuse to move them? If they were going to relocate this team, it would've happened when the NHL owned us. Now suddenly we're going to move when we have ownership? You're thinking ass backwards.

If the team moved, the NHL will be under so much fire. What took you so long? Why not move them in the first place? Why talk expansion draft when you can just move a team and keep everything even at 30 teams? Why waste so much money on a team that relocated anyway? Those are decisions that get your fired. Just let go of all this relocation crap. If it was going to jappen, it would've. We wouldn't have moved in a minor league team, extended our coach out of the blue, or updated the press about anything regarding plans with ASU or Scottsdale.

Fire back with any facts you guys want, i removed my tin foil cap a couple years ago.

Cheaper to keep her. The NHL and all of the owners of NHL teams, are not going to screw up 2 massive franchise fees in the next few years. No teams are moving because of this in the next few years. This is a math equation for the NHL and team owners. It is simply more profitable to have the Coyotes stay in the Phoenix area, one way or the other.

XX

Waiting for Ishbia
Dec 10, 2002
PHX
XX, we'll look back at this conversation and laugh in a couple years. I guarantee it.

That's the dream. But there's nothing to your guarantee but hope. No one deserves to be called a nutter for worrying at this point. It's more justified than ever.

Dirty Old Man

So funny I forgot to laugh
Sponsor
Jan 29, 2008
Ostrich City
That's the dream. But there's nothing to your guarantee but hope. No one deserves to be called a nutter for worrying at this point. It's more justified than ever.

But do people deserve to be called nutters for not worrying? (because, historically on this forum, that's the kind of thing that will happen)

BlazingBlueAnt

Jul 12, 2014
But do people deserve to be called nutters for not worrying? (because, historically on this forum, that's the kind of thing that will happen)

idk, I think you should be called nutters for not worrying. This group has been promising news all year, yet here we are entering our last year in our agreement and nothing has been even announced. I don't know how you don't worry.

The Feckless Puck

Registered Loser
Sponsor
Oct 26, 2006

Honestly, nobody really deserves to be called a nutter. Ideally, we should be able to discuss opinions like adults without it degenerating into name-calling, straw men, and accusing each other of being crazy/stupid/pessimistic/optimistic/etc.

Really, nobody here is an authority, so none of us should act like one.

Matias Maccete

Chopping up defenses
Sep 21, 2014
Honestly, nobody really deserves to be called a nutter. Ideally, we should be able to discuss opinions like adults without it degenerating into name-calling, straw men, and accusing each other of being crazy/stupid/pessimistic/optimistic/etc.

Really, nobody here is an authority, so none of us should act like one.
I have supreme authority so quiet you nutter. :sarcasm:

Matias Maccete

Chopping up defenses
Sep 21, 2014
Im not calling anyone a nutter, i said i took off my tin foil hat. I was right there with everyone!

I'm not sure I'd equate thinking this group might be full of **** to anything tin foil hat or conspiracy related. The group has moved an ahl team to Tucson, so suggesting they have and have had a sinister plan to string us along and then relocate the team is vaguely tin foily. Thinking the group may just be incompetent or in over their heads though has some basis and is pretty reasonable.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
I'm not sure I'd equate thinking this group might be full of **** to anything tin foil hat or conspiracy related. The group has moved an ahl team to Tucson, so suggesting they have and have had a sinister plan to string us along and then relocate the team is vaguely tin foily. Thinking the group may just be incompetent or in over their heads though has some basis and is pretty reasonable.

Who says they are incompetent or in over their head? The posters here at hfboards? Some media guy?

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville

Tucson is a fine affiliate for Las Vegas. The Roadrunners could easily move up to the valley, too.

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
Who says they are incompetent or in over their head? The posters here at hfboards? Some media guy?

If in the next 11 days we manage to announce a new arena deal, hire a competent AGM, hire a competent AHL coaching staff, and don't screw anything up royally at the draft, I'll have FULL faith in the direction of this franchise. If in 12 days I'm totally disappointed in each of those aforementioned events I'll probably just walk away.

The Feckless Puck

Registered Loser
Sponsor
Oct 26, 2006
Who says they are incompetent or in over their head?

The Glendale audit shows evidence of either incompetence or malfeasance. In this case, incompetence might actually be the lesser of two evils.

But again, their dealings with Tucson are so wildly contrasting with the way they treated Glendale that I'm totally in the dark about their real capacity and motivation. I've been reduced to just hoping things work out.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad