News: Coyotes have offered Antti Raanta multiyear contract extension

Uncle Scrooge

Hockey Bettor
Nov 14, 2011
Helsinki
Since the Coyotes started figuring things out, Raanta has been a big part of their success. Reliable goaltending every night.

If im him i take the time in the off-season to explore all possible offers. Raanta has to be on top of everyones list.

Jared Dunn

Dec 23, 2013
Yellowknife
It isn't often that a guy gets called up and tossed in to be starter right away.

No, but I also wouldn't think they'd be throwing money and term at a goalie if they expect Demko to be the guy sooner than later. Markstrom is already a decent 1B, I think that'd work as a platoon

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
That's standard "good starter but not elite starter" money. He hasn't been consistent long enough to be considered elite.

Unproven backups get this kind of money these days.

Average starter money for UFA's is getting closer to 6M.

Reactions: iSophagus

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
Raanta, Talbot and Darling were all in the same kind of class. Aging but not old career back ups who showed starting potential. Talbot and Raanta were handled right, by having them for a season before signing them to their deals.

COHawk

Sep 16, 2015
Happy for Raanta! He was a stud for us in 2014/15 in the handful of games he started. Glad to see this.

mouser

Business of Hockey
Jul 13, 2006
South Mountain
Unproven backups get this kind of money these days.

Average starter money for UFA's is getting closer to 6M.

It's not that crazy yet. Median AAV for the highest 31 paid goalies this season is $5m. Median AAV for what would commonly be "backups" of the 32nd to 62nd goalies this year is $1.25m.

Only 8 goalies have an AAV of $6m+ this season: Lundqvist, Bobrovsky, Rinne, Rask, Price, Holtby, Crawford, Schneider.

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
It's not that crazy yet. Median AAV for the highest 31 paid goalies this season is $5m. Median AAV for what would commonly be "backups" of the 32nd to 62nd goalies this year is $1.25m.

Only 8 goalies have an AAV of $6m+ this season: Lundqvist, Bobrovsky, Rinne, Rask, Price, Holtby, Crawford, Schneider.

I've used this before on different Raanta thread but,

Backup to be starter, Darling, 4x 4.150M
Average starter, Jones, 6x 5.750M
Superstar starter, Price, 8x 10.5M.

All were signed last year.

For guys who've been seen with atleast some skill, got term& weren't way past their primes.
Ofcourse ELC's& bridge RFA deals are a different thing.

Last edited:

mouser

Business of Hockey
Jul 13, 2006
South Mountain
I've used this before on different Raanta thread but,

Backup to be starter, Darling, 4x 4.150M
Average starter, Jones, 6x 5.750M
Superstar starter, Price, 8x 10.5M.

All were signed last year.

For guys who've been seen with atleast some skill, got term& weren't way past their primes.
Ofcourse ELC's& bridge RFA deals are a different thing.

And Ben Bishop was signed to $4.9m. Picking individual contracts as examples doesn’t define league wide averages.

In case I’m sounding too harsh, I generally agree with the point you’re trying to make. I just think the “average starter” UFA figures are closer to $5m then $6m currently.

Alberta Yote

Owns the Yotes
Dec 31, 2004
In your kitchen
I do hope I’m wrong but unless he really really likes it in Arizona he’d be nuts to take anything less than a higher than expected offer before July 1. A Coyote offer will still be there if he checks the market for a few days after free agency opens.

Alluckks

Gabriel Perreault Fan Account
Sponsor
Nov 2, 2011
I'm grasping at straws here. Arizona is a beautiful state and the 'yotes just spanked us 6-0. We are not even a playoff team atm. I had to come up with something. Cut me some slack :help:;)
They have a very good, young group of guys, it is a very nice State to live and the weather is especially great in the winter, it is a very fun and active major city (5th largest in the country! and Scottsdale is amazing) - it is also very convenient for living. He would be secured as a starter there, it is not a hostile work environment, there aren't knee-jerk reactions to replace him or high pressure breathing down his neck that there would be in some other markets (some players thrive on this, some just want it more easy going, who knows where Raanta personally falls). He could also become a big face there in a nice and casual way. There are plenty of good ways to view it form him haha

Reactions: Jakey53

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad