News: Coyotes have offered Antti Raanta multiyear contract extension

Jared Dunn

Dec 23, 2013
Yellowknife
Definitely deserves it but I think he might test the market because he could probably get more based on his stats.

Not a huge market for him really. Carolina would love to add him but can't see them carrying both he and Darling for nearly ten million. Seems to me the only other suitors would be Islanders, Buffalo and St. Louis and the Blues would probably need to clear cap

Turning Mangiapanese

Jun 18, 2011
Big fan of Raanta. Just a really quick and technically sound goalie, fun to watch. Was hoping for him to come be our Kipper 2.0 last summer but it wasn't meant to be. I think he signs with the Yotes to the tune of 4x 4.75M$ and will be worth every single dollar.

Reactions: iSophagus

Sparty

Oct 2, 2015
It's kind of the standard "you weren't a true/dependable starter before, but now we think you are" contract.

Andersen 5 M, 5 years
Dubnyk 4.33 M, 6 years
Allen 4.35 M, 4 years
Talbot 4.16 M, 3 years
Darling 4.15 M, 4 years
Murray 3.75 M, 3 years

I don't think Raanta would have much of a case that he deserves way more than this given where these goalies were at when they signed. It's almost too reasonable for both sides to not happen.

Not many of those guys were going to be UFA though, were they? Anderson for sure, but I think that's it. No sense in signing a deal until you see what else is out there.

Wings are in need of a goalie now that Mrazek is gone (and didn't pan out) and Howard just has a year left. Probably not a bad idea to carry both of them and deal Howard around the deadline.

pheasant

Nov 2, 2010
His performance was across only 45 games. He never topped 30 in the NHL before this season and 45 was his max in Finland as well. That is more like the workload of a 1A in a platoon's as opposed to a starter. Its risky to pay him more because if he can't carry a full starter's load, you will be investing too much bringing in a 1B as well. You don't pay a guy who has never played 50 games $6M. He had a couple injuries this year, otherwise he would have gotten more, but then you question his ability to stay healthy over a starter's workload. I'd go $5M if that's what it took, maybe $5.25 if there were no other options. Anything more I'd be nervous, even if his GAA and S% may justify more.

Well said. There's a reason Arizona already went out and got Darcy Kuemper, and then instantly locked him up for 2 years. They won't let the wheels fall off every time Raanta can't go in the net. That was the #1 killer for them this season. No backup could win a game until they got Kuemper.

Reactions: BeSeeingYouSeattle

AZviaNJ

Setbacks, no Defeats
Mar 31, 2011
AZ
Not a huge market for him really. Carolina would love to add him but can't see them carrying both he and Darling for nearly ten million. Seems to me the only other suitors would be Islanders, Buffalo and St. Louis and the Blues would probably need to clear cap
Plus Philly, Calgary, Colorado....

pheasant

Nov 2, 2010
Not many of those guys were going to be UFA though, were they? Anderson for sure, but I think that's it. No sense in signing a deal until you see what else is out there.

Wings are in need of a goalie now that Mrazek is gone (and didn't pan out) and Howard just has a year left. Probably not a bad idea to carry both of them and deal Howard around the deadline.

Anderson, Talbot, Darling, and Dubnyk were all UFAs, or pending, at the time they signed their new deals. That's 4 of the 6 guys I mentioned.

BleedBlue14

UrGeNcY
Feb 9, 2017
St. Louis

Wouldn't need to clear cap, would need to clear a goaltending position if he were to hit the open market. Now that being said, if we could swap Allen out with Raanta at the same cap hit count me in 100%

milehigh11

Mar 4, 2014
Mile High State
Colorado could use him since Varly is injured every year and will going into the last year of his deal. He could be a nice take over option for the Avs until the Avs can get some actual young prospects in their system for the future.

Reactions: Hmmm

One Winged Angel

You Can't Escape
May 3, 2006
Long Island
Would love to see Tavares and Raanta go to St. Louis. Both seem like ideal fits there.

The Islanders will be involved though, that's for damn sure. They need goaltending desperately.

CoachBadkitten

Matt Hunwick
Jul 25, 2012
Colorado

Avs fan here who would throw 5+ at him easily.

Man Bear Pig

Aug 10, 2008
Earth
If you're Arizona you're doing cartwheels if he takes that contract. Raanta still hasn't started the full load of a #1 but he's absolutely worth the gamble. At worst you're getting a 1B.

Patrik Barkov

Jun 25, 2016
As a Blues fan, if we can move Allen, I'd gladly offer Raanta that contract. Fingers crossed he didn't like the desert. St. Louis weather is much closer to Finland's and we have a young Finnish goalie he can mentor. Point being, he'll get other offers in that price range if he wait's until free agency. It all depends on how much he liked Arizona
We had a snowstorm yesterday. We're supposed to be well into spring now. This is not a plus :D

AZviaNJ

Setbacks, no Defeats
Mar 31, 2011
AZ
Philly and Colorado yeah, Calgary likes Mike Smith and have multiple guys on the cusp, so don't think they'd have interest
Smith has 1 year left, will be 36 and has averaged 47 games as season the past 3 years. He gets injured at the worst possible times....just ask us Coyote fans. Flames have given away much of the next 2 drafts and appear to be in win-now mode. Gillies/Parsons ready to take over part-time next year, full-time year after?

Chan790

Sponsor
Jan 24, 2012
Bingy town, NY

If Waddell and Dundon are to be believed, that's not really an issue.

The Canes are planning to pursue a third goalie to push Darling in camp. If Darling loses that competition, the Canes sound content to bury Darling in the AHL until he gets his head out of his butt or the buyout length becomes more reasonable.

If the loser is Ward, he probably just retires to an organization job.

Reactions: Aho Mitakuye Oyasin

Bruce Granville

Oct 11, 2014
Arizona seems to be a little cheap.
Considering his performance, his FA status and his age he should net at least 24-25M.
Something like 5x5M or even 4x6M.
Heck, it's Arizona, they have no cap issues.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->