News Article: Coyote's Gary Drummond eschews spotlight, embraces challenge

RemoAZ

Let it burn
Mar 30, 2010
Glendale, Arizona
It’s no coincidence that Tippett and Drummond have developed a bond. They both grew up in southern Saskatchewan

Ugh... More Tom Jones coffee and bad uniforms are on the horizon but please Mr. Drummond, figure out how to get Tippett to LOVE guys more talented than he was. PLEASE!!

SniperHF

Rejecting Reports
Mar 9, 2007
Phoenix
Title should have been a ready for the challenge reference, I Is disappoint.

Bit puffy for my tastes regardless. I don't doubt Drummond's general competency but how it translates. Some interesting quotes in there that make it questionable in an business where people are hired to be fired.

ClassLessCoyote

Staying classy
Jun 10, 2009
If it's local media, it's not critical.

darth-vader-didnt-read.gif

Plub

Part time Leaf fan
Jan 9, 2011
Arizona
He and DT can go **** themselves. Such a terrible setup to have and with so much comfort in job security there is not push to go to the limit to succeed. Obviously they want to do well, but there is no way to avoid complacency setting in. We went from an old boys club within the locker to the entire organization being made up of bodies.

_Del_

Jul 4, 2003
GMDT would never have traded Vermette or Z during our 50 point season. Yandle would have been retained and then likely lost as UFA. That team pouted and sulked, following the lead of the coach who threatened to walk publicly and stated outright that he had no heart for a rebuild.

He wants to do well today. He could not care less about futures or "amateurs".

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
He and DT can go **** themselves. Such a terrible setup to have and with so much comfort in job security there is not push to go to the limit to succeed. Obviously they want to do well, but there is no way to avoid complacency setting in. We went from an old boys club within the locker to the entire organization being made up of bodies.

You earn job security and DT did. Nothing wrong with that. If it doesn't work, there will be a bunch more changes, as per Drummond. As far as DT goes, I would have waited a year before I would have extended him and not paid the $4 mill/yr, but it's not my money.

cobra427

May 6, 2012
Title should have been a ready for the challenge reference, I Is disappoint.

Bit puffy for my tastes regardless. I don't doubt Drummond's general competency but how it translates. Some interesting quotes in there that make it questionable in an business where people are hired to be fired.

Running a business is running a business, hockey is no different. We have to wait and see if it works.

The Feckless Puck

Registered Loser
Sponsor
Oct 26, 2006
It's an interesting puff piece, and the timing is equally interesting. The Saskatchewan connection with Tippett clears up a lot of my internal questions about recent events. And the most interesting nugget is that he went from being a replacement investor to essentially controlling the whole ball of wax.

Seriously, though, IA should be paying Craig a salary and giving him full benefits at this point. :laugh:

BUX7PHX

Jul 7, 2011
It's possible this works. This whole thing. I doubt it. But I'm not ruling it out.

I knew positivity existed somewhere on this forum...

Honestly, I think that next year may not be the return that we want - the team will likely be integrating a lot more players into the fold, especially if able to get a top 4 D for the left side in here and acquire additional depth there. I'd actually predict a year similar to this one. But once players like Strome, Dvorak, Domi, and Duclair start to hit their 2nd and 3rd years in the league, the dividends will start to pay off and continue to do so four or five years down the line from today.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011

Honestly, I think that next year may not be the return that we want - the team will likely be integrating a lot more players into the fold, especially if able to get a top 4 D for the left side in here and acquire additional depth there. I'd actually predict a year similar to this one. But once players like Strome, Dvorak, Domi, and Duclair start to hit their 2nd and 3rd years in the league, the dividends will start to pay off and continue to do so four or five years down the line from today.

That is what I have been saying for the last year. The third year is when we should start to see results.

The Feckless Puck

Registered Loser
Sponsor
Oct 26, 2006
That is what I have been saying for the last year. The third year is when we should start to see results.

The question that hasn't been answered yet - and won't be until after the draft and free agency - is whether the team in the third year on the rebuild timeline will still possess the assets for which the rebuild was undertaken. Our ability to project into the future has been cut off until we get a sense of which direction Chayka and Tippett are going to want to go.

cobra427

May 6, 2012

I am optimistic and the future looks bright because we have a ton of forward depth and potential in the system. The improvement next year or any year after, will be based on who we can acquire on D in a trade or who we can sign on D as a UFA. Without better D, we won't be much better regardless of our forwards. I believe we will pick up at least one top 4D this summer, and that will help. If we land two top 4D somehow, or if we land one and Murphy takes another step, we could be a playoff team next year.

Coyotes2000

Jun 25, 2007
AZ
We and others before us have made every effort to make the business viable in Glendale. Regardless of the quality of the team on the ice, it seems clear it is not achievable.

Ding, Ding, Ding!

Mosby

<3 Uncle Gary
Feb 16, 2012
Toronto
More talk of spending. I'm expecting a big, flashy signing on July 1. Hopefully it's money well spent.

RemoAZ

Let it burn
Mar 30, 2010
Glendale, Arizona
Yeah the stability of ownership and the team's uncertain future have had nothing to do with the financial performance of the franchise. More horse **** from Canada.

BUX7PHX

Jul 7, 2011
The question is, who would qualify as the "big, flashy signing"? Stamkos?

Goligoski or Demers have to be high on the list. And even though my feelings are known on this - Yandle could also be a possibility.

I would also like to see what the RFAs get qualified for - I know that it is rather rare for other teams to approach with offer sheets, but maybe there is a better chance for that possibility as teams have to look at who to protect by re-signing.

Ebb

the nondescript
Dec 22, 2015
PA
Goligoski or Demers have to be high on the list. And even though my feelings are known on this - Yandle could also be a possibility.

I would also like to see what the RFAs get qualified for - I know that it is rather rare for other teams to approach with offer sheets, but maybe there is a better chance for that possibility as teams have to look at who to protect by re-signing.

I'd like to add Goligoski AND Demers, but I fear neither will want to come to the mess that is the Coyotes. I'm pretty certain both will get similar (or better) offers than we would provide.

I also doubt Yandle will want to return, but that's probably more likely than Goligoski or Demers signing with us.

I don't see too many of our RFAs getting offers. Maybe Domingue and/or Murphy who have shown themselves to be worth the risk. I'm thinking n trade would take them away before an offer sheet.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->