Confirmed with Link: Coyotes extend Conor Garland for 2 years

cobra427

May 6, 2012
While it's nice to see his success, we're talking about a player with 36 career NHL games, who made the most of his opportunity with all the injuries this season.

I can understand choosing the guaranteed 1-way contract money for a couple years.
Also keep in mind the year Reider had and the year Duke had. These wingers can flash and crash, so I am glad Chayka didn't over pay.

Sinurgy

Approaching infinity
Sponsor
Feb 8, 2004
AZ
I remember Klinkhammer looking awesome for about 25 games. Not at all saying Garland is Klinkhammer, just pointing out how quickly it can change. It's a fair deal for both parties, Garland gets guaranteed money since it's a one way and the Coyotes pay damn near as low as possible. If Garland is not just a flash in the pan he'll get a lot more money in 2 years.

Tom Polakis

Next expansion
Nov 24, 2008
Tempe, AZ
I was really wrong about this kid. What I saw in him before this year's call-up was all of Duclair's bad habits. I thought he had no chance as an NHL player, but he must have listened to his coaches. Good for him, and glad we didn't overpay for the "Klinkhammer/Rieder" reason already stated.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
I was really wrong about this kid. What I saw in him before this year's call-up was all of Duclair's bad habits. I thought he had no chance as an NHL player, but he must have listened to his coaches. Good for him, and glad we didn't overpay for the "Klinkhammer/Rieder" reason already stated.
Don't get to excited yet. He has only played 36 NHL games and has cooled off the last dozen games.

Reactions: BigJCaRoach

Mosby

Fire Bettman
Feb 16, 2012
Toronto
God damn, I love Biz.

2cRwu6E.png

Summer Rose

Red Like Roses
Sponsor
May 3, 2012
Gainesville, Florida
Talked about it on today's podcast. Kid went from being a relatively unknown commodity, unsure if he'd get another contract, to getting a 2-year, 1-way contract with guaranteed money.

Indeed. If he ends up with a long, productive career, then this contract is only 2 years. He can get the "big bucks" in his ensuing contracts if in the next 2 years he shows he's the real deal. I don't think he'll lose any sleep over a few hundred thousand dollars possibly left on the table during his 2-year bridge contract after his ELC if that's the case.

ParisSaintGermain

Jan 19, 2004
Talked about it on today's podcast. Kid went from being a relatively unknown commodity, unsure if he'd get another contract, to getting a 2-year, 1-way contract with guaranteed money.

This contract means that he is a NHL player. What a journey for him and it is wonderful that he appreciates every single minute of this.

He has earned to live his dream, it has been a damn good battle to get there. There is no dollar figure or a salary cap for living your dream.

Money will be for later, perhaps, and even if it stops here (i do not think it will), well.... he would have lived his dream.

Congrats again Conor, will always be rooting for you.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
This contract means that he is a NHL player. What a journey for him and it is wonderful that he appreciates every single minute of this.

He has earned to live his dream, it has been a damn good battle to get there. There is no dollar figure or a salary cap for living your dream.

Money will be for later, perhaps, and even if it stops here (i do not think it will), well.... he would have lived his dream.

Congrats again Conor, will always be rooting for you.
Exactly. Most have no idea how hard it is the play in the NHL. Very few make the NHL. Even players like Moss and Chip who were criticized beyond belief carved them self a nice career and paycheck.

azcanuck

Jan 14, 2014
chandler az
I wasn't sure about this kid originally. I thought like many he's riding the high of being called up.
But he has real game. His skill level is way above Klinkhammer. Duclair has more skill but is a total air head. Garland has hands, good hockey IQ and can skate. As long as he doesn't become a perimeter player he's going to stick around and be valuable.

RemoAZ

Let it burn
Mar 30, 2010
Glendale, Arizona
I thought he'd be an ok to good ahl player. Maybe 5 NHL games ever.

Wrong!

After that first rookie scrimmage I went to see and the first couple camps he played in, the guy was garbage. He really turned it around. Love the hard work but as others have pointed out, he barely played half a season. I'm sure he was thrilled to get the 2 year deal and couldn't put his name to it fast enough. He's got a real shot to be an every day player now. What more could he ask for? Hope he makes it but he's far from a sure thing at this point.

Last edited:
Reactions: Lilhoody

RemoAZ

Let it burn
Mar 30, 2010
Glendale, Arizona
That was the most idiotic thing I’ve ever seen. That man should be not only removed from television but removed from the continent. Send him to Australia. He’s possibly the worst television personality I have ever seen.

Have to admit that Kuemper dive was Smitheske bad though. They should fine goalies for that shit.

Reactions: Jakey53

Ebb

the nondescript
Dec 22, 2015
PA
Have to admit that Kuemper dive was Smitheske bad though. They should fine goalies for that ****.

While it was most likely embellished, it could also be a delayed reaction (to an extent). I know I took a few hits (playing football) that had a delayed reaction (especially hits to the helmet). He did take a butt of the stick (or at least "fist") to the face, but it was obviously embellished some as well.

He definitely seemed to be was trying to "draw" the penalty, but, if anything, it did draw attention to someone hitting him in the face with a stick (which I believe punching/stick-butting a goalie in the mask should still be a penalty).

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad