Rumor: Coyotes exploring temporary arena options in the city of Phoenix

Plub

Part time Leaf fan
Jan 9, 2011
Arizona
What about using VMC as a temp Coyotes house until a permanent arena gets built somewhere? Renovate the VMC to use for hockey in stages and then use VMC for a future AHL purchased/transferred farm team. Both clubs are local to build the brand and for easy oversight/recalls. :dunno:

No. It isn't even worth being a temporary location. It was a dump when I played there at times in elementary school.

Mosby

Fire Bettman
Feb 16, 2012
Toronto
I often see the same said about Montreal. They are Montreal fans, not hockey fans. Wasn't the WJC attendance there a complete joke recently?

Toronto as well. Obviously the Leafs do well but the Marlies have always had below average attendance. Some AHL markets doing better than Toronto: San Diego, Ontario California, St. John's, Bakersfield, Charlotte, Iowa, San Antonio, Austin Texas...

Even the Majors OHL team left Toronto.

Jamieh

Apr 25, 2012
The WJC is a bad comparison, there are some very very bad games in that tournament. How much would any of you be willing to pay to watch Latvia play Denmark as an example. Here are a few scores from the tournament I attended in Saskatoon in 2010:

16-0
7-3
8-3
6-0
12-1
8-2
10-1
7-1
10-1
7-1
10-2

Now remember it costs Just as much to attend these games as it does the 3 or 4 good games each year. I always loved this tournament until I paid my money and attended one. There are better players playing rec hockey in most host Cities than some of these teams have on their rosters.

Dolemite

The one...the only...
Sponsor
May 4, 2004
Washington DC
Honestly either one works for me. I just want wherever they play to actually be accessible via light rail (or bus) from where I live in Tempe.

For the life of me I never understood why, after all the time I pointed this out to the team and COG, why they didn't make at least a late bus to the light rail happen after games.

I hope the league is bankrolling that, because VMC is a.) decrepit and not fit for NHL hockey and b.) a lawsuit waiting to happen.

This actually moves the needle more towards relocation for me. No one in their right mind would consider this. That is, unless somebody (Phoenix, the league) is paying for it or making it worthwhile.

It's not. There would be other signs indicating that as well as these. It just seems they want to get out of Glendale ASAP.

PerpetualTankYear

Doan 3:16
Mar 27, 2008
Phoenix, AZ
I'd actually be pretty stoked to go to a game a VMC. I'm too young to have gone to a Suns or Roadrunners game there, and my parents never took me to a Mustangs game. Being a huge AZ sports fan, I feel like I need to go to the Coliseum a couple of times to see Arizona sports history.

TheLegend

Megathread Gadfly
Aug 30, 2009
Buzzing BoH
The BoH gang is going nuts over Morgan's article.

Never seen a two paragraph article that had so little meaning cause such a stir. :laugh:

_Del_

Jul 4, 2003
I'd actually be pretty stoked to go to a game a VMC. I'm too young to have gone to a Suns or Roadrunners game there, and my parents never took me to a Mustangs game. Being a huge AZ sports fan, I feel like I need to go to the Coliseum a couple of times to see Arizona sports history.

Watched quite a bit of hockey there (even some soccer! Anyone remember the Phoenix Inferno/Pride?) Also, have seen the Beach Boys, Moody Blues, Blue Oyster Cult, Alice Cooper, ... The Smothers Brothers (don't judge me!)... I'm sure I'm missing shows...

*Mustang Games, btw way were dirt cheap and a lot of fun. Small, but raucous crowds.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
Watched quite a bit of hockey there (even some soccer! Anyone remember the Phoenix Inferno/Pride?) Also, have seen the Beach Boys, Moody Blues, Blue Oyster Cult, Alice Cooper, ... The Smothers Brothers (don't judge me!)... I'm sure I'm missing shows...

*Mustang Games, btw way were dirt cheap and a lot of fun. Small, but raucous crowds.

Smother Brothers. Man, your as old as dirt, and me.:)

Matias Maccete

Chopping up defenses
Sep 21, 2014

Boc is badass. I went to some road runner games as a kid, they were awesome. I saw one of the dirtiest things ever, there was a player who power skated from his own end to destroy the opposing goalie when he was playing the puck.

kihekah19*

Oct 25, 2010
Phoenix, Arizona

Tom & Dick? Loved those guys.... I never saw the other Tom & Dick play there either, as they had already retired when I got out here in 1980, but I did see them at the Madhouse on Madison (Chicago Stadium), in their inaugural season.

Anywho, we were probably at the same BOC concert. Foghat opened for 'em at the one I went to, which was probably 80/81

Last edited:

The Feckless Puck

Registered Loser
Sponsor
Oct 26, 2006
My mom and dad took me to see Neil Diamond in concert at VMC when I was a kid.

My first-ever exposure to marijuana smoke. :laugh:

awfulwaffle

Jun 20, 2011
Dallas, TX
Toronto as well. Obviously the Leafs do well but the Marlies have always had below average attendance. Some AHL markets doing better than Toronto: San Diego, Ontario California, St. John's, Bakersfield, Charlotte, Iowa, San Antonio, Austin Texas...

Even the Majors OHL team left Toronto.

Do you think it could be that areas that don't have another hockey option would do well compared to a market that has another(better?) hockey option?

i think of the Sundogs. I know when they first started they did very well. My old roommate from college, she would drive home every weekend when the Sundogs were in town because they had season tickets, and then the team would go to Buffalo Wild Wings after to hang out with all of the fans.

Obviously they took a turn for the worst, and it could have been they weren't good and I heard that most of the times it was just a bunch of fights, not really "hockey". But I think that if the market doesn't have an NHL team, that's what the community grasps to.

Dirty Old Man

So funny I forgot to laugh
Sponsor
Jan 29, 2008
Ostrich City
The Smothers Brothers (don't judge me!)...

Smother Brothers. Man, your as old as dirt, and me.:)

Tom & Dick? Loved those guys....

Heh, I saw them, too. They played our homecoming festival in the mid 80s (Univ of Florida), a gig that become something of a badge of honor among comedians , as it represented one of their few chances to play live in front of over 70,000 people. (Bob Hope bombed, BTW, made the mistake of alienating 30K students)

kihekah19*

Oct 25, 2010
Phoenix, Arizona
Heh, I saw them, too. They played our homecoming festival in the mid 80s (Univ of Florida), a gig that become something of a badge of honor among comedians , as it represented one of their few chances to play live in front of over 70,000 people. (Bob Hope bombed, BTW, made the mistake of alienating 30K students)

Damn.... I didn't realize they were still performing in the 80's!

HerrDonut

May 30, 2013
Arizona
Seattle Sounders have no issues filling their B-stadium (home of some/most non-league matches) in Tukwila /shrug.
Granted, that's a 4k crowd or so. Of course, Sounders sellout Century Link Field every match, whether they open up 39k seats or 66k. And I'm sure we all know how much love the MLS gets here (here in North America / here on Earth). Point is, they love their sports up in Seattle. I can see it working.

Oh, hey, btw, I am biased because I intend to move to the Seattle area in the next half decade and would love to have my Yotes there with me.

Coyotes2000

Jun 25, 2007
AZ
Seattle Sounders have no issues filling their B-stadium (home of some/most non-league matches) in Tukwila /shrug.
Granted, that's a 4k crowd or so. Of course, Sounders sellout Century Link Field every match, whether they open up 39k seats or 66k. And I'm sure we all know how much love the MLS gets here (here in North America / here on Earth). Point is, they love their sports up in Seattle. I can see it working.

Oh, hey, btw, I am biased because I intend to move to the Seattle area in the next half decade and would love to have my Yotes there with me.

What's drawing you there? Pricey place to be

HerrDonut

May 30, 2013
Arizona
What's drawing you there? Pricey place to be
Climate, sports, landscape, culture, etc.

I've lived all of my 24 years in the valley of the sun, I want clouds and to never again see 115 degrees. Soccer is the love of my life, Sounders are my domestic team. I like day trips and seeing what nature has to offer, could stand to do more of it, and forests appeal to me more than this desert does. I hear the people there are nicer and more open-minded than they are here.

My career path used to point to Seattle, though that's becoming long history (I don't want anything to do with what I'm formally educated in). I got a degree in a sort of computer programming, and they say that job market is... well, healthy up there.

salsa man

SALSA
Nov 20, 2013
California
I'd jump ship to the Kings or ducks. This way I can still root for a team close to me. Unless they moved to Vegas haha

If you're a Cardinals fan, become a Ducks fan so there's more Cardinals/Ducks fans in the world. ;)

Obviously we hope that doesn't have to happen, though.

Last edited:

Matias Maccete

Chopping up defenses
Sep 21, 2014
If you're a Cardinals fan, become a Ducks fan so there's more Cardinals/Ducks fans in the world. ;)

Obviously we hope that doesn't have to happen, though.

I was all on the San Jose train but there seems to be a lot of really cool ducks fans here, it's swaying me. I'd probably just follow multiple teams, I doubt I could get as attached to a different team as I am to the yotes anyway.

Bonsai Tree

Turning a new leaf
Feb 2, 2014
Climate, sports, landscape, culture, etc.

I've lived all of my 24 years in the valley of the sun, I want clouds and to never again see 115 degrees. Soccer is the love of my life, Sounders are my domestic team. I like day trips and seeing what nature has to offer, could stand to do more of it, and forests appeal to me more than this desert does. I hear the people there are nicer and more open-minded than they are here.

My career path used to point to Seattle, though that's becoming long history (I don't want anything to do with what I'm formally educated in). I got a degree in a sort of computer programming, and they say that job market is... well, healthy up there.

If that's what you're after, you owe it to yourself to look at Portland, OR. Even more beautiful than Seattle and less rain.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad