Rumor: Coyotes exploring temporary arena options in the city of Phoenix

cobra427

May 6, 2012
I have some inside info on this, a mod can pm me if they want me to verify, but VMC will not work, it seats 11200 for hockey, and the ice plant was sold after the mustangs left, it would require a complete rebuild of the floor to work and the AC would have serious issues with respect to blowing on the ice, and turning it to slush with a full house. Also there is no possibility of adding suites due to the construction of the roof and walls. In addition you are talking about a 50 year old facility everything from the seats to the bathrooms is held together with ductape and bailing wire. concessions would be a mess, again same problem with Beer and Soda lines, would need all new equipment and new lines retrofitted. VMS is like the Islanders barn if it had never been updated.

Totally agree, and Craig should have known about these issues. VMS was a bad arena 25 years ago for an NHL/NBA team. ASU/Sarver/Down town Phoenix/COG/the Tribe, will all see right through this if it is a negotiating ploy.

Plub

Part time Leaf fan
Jan 9, 2011
Arizona
I'm sure I'm going to get ripped apart, but I'm actually okay with relocation at this point. Get some real owners and a fresh start. This organization needs it. As long as they're located in the U.S., I'll still be a fan.

Muppet

7th Round Pick
Mar 13, 2011
I'm okay with Vegas, Seattle, or Portland. No to QC or GTA.
This. After all these years of Canadian elitists ******** on this franchise, the last thing I'd want is for this team to end up there.

Plub

Part time Leaf fan
Jan 9, 2011
Arizona
I'm okay if they move to QC, Vegas not so much.

I'd be done with hockey. After all the **** that we've taken from people up north, **** that. Hope they get a team, but not the Coyotes.

I can already imagine the Canadian media and all its lackeys taking a collective **** on us at every turn.

Anywhere in the states is fine by me.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
Use this thread for all purpose discussion regarding the Coyotes' arena options.

[Tweet]674744794057416704[/Tweet]
Craig is claiming the Coyotes have met with officials at the at the Veteran's Memorial Coliseum about using the arena as a temporary home until something can better can be worked out.

If this is true, than IMO it's just a ruse to try and negotiate a better temporary lease at Talking Stick with the Suns/City of Phoenix.

Morgan must be having a slow day. The Coyotes will not go there. You guys are getting your feathers ruffled over something like this?

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
Totally agree, and Craig should have known about these issues. VMS was a bad arena 25 years ago for an NHL/NBA team. ASU/Sarver/Down town Phoenix/COG/the Tribe, will all see right through this if it is a negotiating ploy.

Correct. It's not even a negotiating ploy with Phoenix because the VM arena is in the city of Phoenix.

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
Is Seattle still planning on building their arena way out in the middle of nowhere in Seattle's Glendale? That ain't gonna work. Seattle is not more of a hockey town than Phoenix. The plan to put it a stones throw away from the baseball and football stadiums in the heart of downtown and share it with the nba was a good plan and the team might succeed there. Way out in the boonies? They'll fail. Just like us.

The Feckless Puck

Registered Loser
Sponsor
Oct 26, 2006
I'm sure I'm going to get ripped apart, but I'm actually okay with relocation at this point. Get some real owners and a fresh start. This organization needs it. As long as they're located in the U.S., I'll still be a fan.

This organization needs a fresh start, for sure. But if it left Arizona I don't know if I'd care about it anymore. Only reason I'm not certain is that I have developed an enormous man crush on Max Domi and Shane Doan hasn't retired yet. Hard to wax sentimental about Kyle Chipchura though.

I can already imagine the Canadian media and all its lackeys taking a collective **** on us at every turn.

I actually think we'd simply be completely ignored by most of the hockey world, much like the Thrashers fans are. They'd be much more apt to pretend we never existed in the first place than to keep taking burrito dumps on us.

Is Seattle still planning on building their arena way out in the middle of nowhere in Seattle's Glendale? That ain't gonna work. Seattle is not more of a hockey town than Phoenix. The plan to put it a stones throw away from the baseball and football stadiums in the heart of downtown and share it with the nba was a good plan and the team might succeed there. Way out in the boonies? They'll fail. Just like us.

SHUT YOUR MOUTH, TUKWILA IS A COMPLETELY DIFFERENT STORY BECAUSE SEATTLE AND MASS TRANSIT AND YOU CAN SEE THE SKYLINE FROM THERE AND--

...oh, sorry, it seems I have picked up a slight case of rhetoric from the BoH Seattle threads. :naughty:

Apparently, though, Seattle will work no matter what because some Canadian research firm said that Vancouver could support two teams, so away with your practical reasoning.

Snarky Coyote

Sponsor
May 3, 2009
Now with more snark
Technically the fairgrounds and Az State Fair are controlled by the State of AZ - not the city of Phoenix. I still don't think its possible, but the VMC is a different entity.

Last edited:

hbk

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Visit site
This organization needs a fresh start, for sure. But if it left Arizona I don't know if I'd care about it anymore. Only reason I'm not certain is that I have developed an enormous man crush on Max Domi and Shane Doan hasn't retired yet. Hard to wax sentimental about Kyle Chipchura though.

I actually think we'd simply be completely ignored by most of the hockey world, much like the Thrashers fans are. They'd be much more apt to pretend we never existed in the first place than to keep taking burrito dumps on us.

SHUT YOUR MOUTH, TUKWILA IS A COMPLETELY DIFFERENT STORY BECAUSE SEATTLE AND MASS TRANSIT AND YOU CAN SEE THE SKYLINE FROM THERE AND--

...oh, sorry, it seems I have picked up a slight case of rhetoric from the BoH Seattle threads. :naughty:

Apparently, though, Seattle will work no matter what because some Canadian research firm said that Vancouver could support two teams, so away with your practical reasoning.

I lived in Vancouver.

They are Canuck fans. Not NHL fans per se. Fairweather fans represent a large portion of those fans as well.

diceone

Aug 14, 2006
tempe
VMC is disgusting. That would be an embarrassment, we'd be better off in Talking Stick as a stop-gap.

moosemeister

5,000 strong
Feb 15, 2010
Mesa, Arizona
VMC is disgusting. That would be an embarrassment, we'd be better off in Talking Stick as a stop-gap.

I'd have to agree.

If the coyotes played an early game and the Suns played later that night, there is a good chance I'd stay in the area to watch both games. Yeah seating sucks but it's our best option

crazyhockeylover96

Mar 14, 2009
What about using VMC as a temp Coyotes house until a permanent arena gets built somewhere? Renovate the VMC to use for hockey in stages and then use VMC for a future AHL purchased/transferred farm team. Both clubs are local to build the brand and for easy oversight/recalls. :dunno:

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville

So...uhhh...are they still planning on Tukwila or no?

kihekah19*

Oct 25, 2010
Phoenix, Arizona
Again, I'd be shocked if AVMC ever came to fruition, but ABSOLUTELY DELIGHTED nonetheless.

It's the very decrepit nature of the old barn that appeals to me and I think most of you boys are looking at this all wrong.

A place to park? Check..... In fact it's excellent parking (except fair time)

A place to sit? Check..... with incredible sight lines (I'm told)

A sheet of ice? Well.... this becomes a bit of a problem, as the old system cost a fortune to operate (according to RR GM from 90's) during it's most recent run.

Concessions? Check.... let's face it the concessions at GRA aren't much to write home about boys.

It's hockey and it's a bad az game that ain't for wimps. What the hell do the fans need a prima donna palace for? If they could somehow make this an interim home, I believe it would provide the greatest memories this franchise will ever know.

Summer Rose

Red Like Roses
Sponsor
May 3, 2012
Gainesville, Florida
Again, I'd be shocked if AVMC ever came to fruition, but ABSOLUTELY DELIGHTED nonetheless.

It's the very decrepit nature of the old barn that appeals to me and I think most of you boys are looking at this all wrong.

A place to park? Check..... In fact it's excellent parking (except fair time)

A place to sit? Check..... with incredible sight lines (I'm told)

A sheet of ice? Well.... this becomes a bit of a problem, as the old system cost a fortune to operate (according to RR GM from 90's) during it's most recent run.

Concessions? Check.... let's face it the concessions at GRA aren't much to write home about boys.

It's hockey and it's a bad az game that ain't for wimps. What the hell do the fans need a prima donna palace for? If they could somehow make this an interim home, I believe it would provide the greatest memories this franchise will ever know.

I sure don't. I'd watch them play at Arcadia Ice Arena if I had to, and that place is a dump.

Plub

Part time Leaf fan
Jan 9, 2011
Arizona
I lived in Vancouver.

They are Canuck fans. Not NHL fans per se. Fairweather fans represent a large portion of those fans as well.

I often see the same said about Montreal. They are Montreal fans, not hockey fans. Wasn't the WJC attendance there a complete joke recently?

Where do you live, hbk?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->