Coyotes Core Pieces Poll #3

#3?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

XX

Waiting for Ishbia
Dec 10, 2002
PHX
"Core pieces" are players you can conceivably see being with the team ten years from now.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
"Core pieces" are players you can conceivably see being with the team ten years from now.
That's a bit long. Maybe one or two might make it that long, most will not. Players considered a core piece are traded all the time.

Reactions: doaner

YotesFan47

Jun 16, 2012
Phoenix, Arizona USA
I think Raanta will have longevity with the team unless his next contact ask is too heavy or it turns out injuries make him tough to keep as a #1. He seems to have the ability and personality to stick long term.

Reactions: Jormungandr

XX

Waiting for Ishbia
Dec 10, 2002
PHX
I think Raanta will have longevity with the team unless his next contact ask is too heavy or it turns out injuries make him tough to keep as a #1. He seems to have the ability and personality to stick long term.

Goalies, due the nature of the position, are easy to find. The Coyotes conjured up a starter as part of a trade where he wasn't the most valuable piece. Other teams do it all the time. This organization has taken starters off the waiver wire or in junk trades/dumpster dives. They are very rarely 'core' pieces. That only really ever happens if a goalie becomes a clear cut starter very early on in their career like Quick and Price.

Your core is generally U25 pieces. They are the bones you hang the role players and veterans from. The players that would take a significant effort to acquire in trade because of what they mean to the organization going forward. They are the players you'd keep if you had to have a firesale. They do the heavy lifting that gets you to the playoffs. Galchenyuk and Hinostroza, for example, could become core members if they perform and sign long term. Hjalmarsson, Goligoski and the like aren't really core players. Stepan is borderline, he probably ages out and declines after the next few years.

I think this team is built around Keller and Chychrun. It would be nice to have more sexy household names to list off but we're talking about the Coyotes after all.

gorsk11

Logan Cooley for the win.
Jun 25, 2008
AZ
To be successful - you need a good quality goalie at a decent price. Hugely important to the team and the mindset of the team.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
Goalies, due the nature of the position, are easy to find. The Coyotes conjured up a starter as part of a trade where he wasn't the most valuable piece. Other teams do it all the time. This organization has taken starters off the waiver wire or in junk trades/dumpster dives. They are very rarely 'core' pieces. That only really ever happens if a goalie becomes a clear cut starter very early on in their career like Quick and Price.

Your core is generally U25 pieces. They are the bones you hang the role players and veterans from. The players that would take a significant effort to acquire in trade because of what they mean to the organization going forward. They are the players you'd keep if you had to have a firesale. They do the heavy lifting that gets you to the playoffs. Galchenyuk and Hinostroza, for example, could become core members if they perform and sign long term. Hjalmarsson, Goligoski and the like aren't really core players. Stepan is borderline, he probably ages out and declines after the next few years.

I think this team is built around Keller and Chychrun. It would be nice to have more sexy household names to list off but we're talking about the Coyotes after all.
On a rebuilding team your core is much younger than a team like Pittsburgh, Chicago or Philly for example, but a older player can be a core player. Ask this same question to those fans and you will see Crosby's, Kane's names etc. pop up. I also disagree about a goalie not being a core piece. Raanta is definitely a core piece for this team.

Matias Maccete

Chopping up defenses
Sep 21, 2014
I voted for Galchenyuk. I think that he’s going to be our #1C at some point this season and that’s not because any of our other centers are taking a step back.
He's hard to rank because we don't know exactly what we have in him yet, but if he pans out as a 1C then next year he'll be much higher on this list.

BOGO

Oct 20, 2017
I was convinced in the last thread that Chych was the man at #3 so that is how I voted. I think we are getting on very shakey ground at this point however because Chych has had a number of injuries, Raanta is my #4 and he only has a partial season as starter to show for himself. I think it starts coming down to Perls or Fish for #5 and they don't really fit my criteria of an elite starting goalie, top pair defense or top line player -- even for projections. Strome could be a fit at #5, but is in the same boat only further behind in development than Perls and Fish. Our core is at best 4 players deep right now and hoping that players live up to expectations or beat them. You could argue that Hayton might be #5 on that list and he hasn't even played yet.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->