Coyotes Core Pieces Poll #1

Most important core player for the Coyotes?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

SniperHF

Rejecting Reports
Mar 9, 2007
Phoenix
Nothing going on around here, that means it's canned thread topic time!

So for this canned topic we'll be deciding who the Coyotes core players are. Unfortunately I think our options are a tad limited so we might only get 3-5 polls tops out of this :dunce:

But anyway.

OEL or Keller for #1? Including anyone else seems kinda dumb.

Neighborhood Coyote

Sep 14, 2017
At this moment I go OEL. Position, leader in the locker room, extension just signed, and productivity lead me to that decision. This is just for right now, because Keller can still make a case for himself. One year of data isn't enough for me to put him ahead yet. Could take over OEL, but he'd have to be clearly better than OEL over a good sample size to take the mantel for me.

SniperHF

Rejecting Reports
Mar 9, 2007
Phoenix
I think it's pretty obviously OEL. Keller may be the better player right now even, but when you hand a guy 66 million bucks you've just married your franchise to him.

I don't think including Raanta would have been dumb.

I don't think he could have even come in second though.
Raanta is going to be extremely important going forward but it's much more of a short term proposition. Where as the long and short term future is tied to Keller and OEL.

Reactions: Matias Maccete

RufusG

May 23, 2017
I don't think he could have even come in second though.
Raanta is going to be extremely important going forward but it's much more of a short term proposition. Where as the long and short term future is tied to Keller and OEL.

I didn't take a long term/short term distinction from the OP, so I just looked at it as right now today. OEL and Keller played the whole last year, both when the yotes struggled to look like an AHL team, and when they looked like a playoff team. The biggest distinction between those two conditions seemed to be whether Raanta was out and/or hurt, or in and healthy. I know it's not quite that simple, but right now he seems to be the difference, or at least the biggest part of it.

XX

Waiting for Ishbia
Dec 10, 2002
PHX
Considering OEL wasn't far from being traded and it's hard to imagine the Coyotes trading Keller, went with Keller. Marrying yourself to a player via contract doesn't make him younger or more valuable.

gorsk11

Logan Cooley for the win.
Jun 25, 2008
AZ
Raanta could be a big piece of the core if he can play like he did. OEL, Keller and Raanta right now most important pieces.

Reactions: Jormungandr

cobra427

May 6, 2012
OEL hands down, likely for next 5 years at least. 1D is more important then almost any winger.

Name Nameless

Don't go more than 10 seconds back on challenges
Apr 12, 2017
OEL it is.

Please add Raanta if you go on with a second core-piece. Not having him here, made the choice a bit to simple, possibly misleading.

Ebb

the nondescript
Dec 22, 2015
PA
While I don't think he is totally central, OEL is the top guy at the moment. I kind of think we could possibly replace him, but it's hard to say for sure. At present, he'll do, but we might be able to trade him for a stronger offensive D-man. Still, if we can get him the right support players, he could improve quite a bit.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->