Confirmed with Link: Coyotes' Clayton Keller named as Calder Memorial Trophy Finalist

hbk

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Visit site
Surprised he finished top 3. Had a great start followed by a half season disappearance but a strong finish. He’s a star talent though. Marathon season wasn’t his friend.

RABBIT

My Yearly Sponsorship has relocated to Houston
Oct 21, 2008
“Ted’s dead baby. TEDs Dead”
flat,800x800,075,f.u3.jpg

In all seriousness, great year. Love Kells. Superstar

Reactions: ck26

SniperHF

Rejecting Reports
Mar 9, 2007
Phoenix
. Had a great start followed by a half season disappearance

His season was very uneven more so than one prolonged slump I think. Hot start, didn't produce in November. Picked it back up December. Pretty bad January. Then back upward from there.

SniperHF

Rejecting Reports
Mar 9, 2007
Phoenix
He’s earned it but I’d easily pick the other two over him

Barzal yes. I do not think Boeser is all that clearly ahead of him if he is at all. Keller actually out produced Boeser at even strength (per game). He also didn't have to spend a month and a half feeding prime pucks to Domi and Stepan who were shooting a cool combined 3% or so.

Neighborhood Coyote

Sep 14, 2017
Grats to Keller... personally think he earned it. Still have to go with Barzal over him for it this year but Keller had to work with a pretty rough amount of circumstances to get it done. Yotes did a great job picking him.

Reactions: doaner

mouser

Business of Hockey
Jul 13, 2006
South Mountain
Surprised he finished top 3. Had a great start followed by a half season disappearance but a strong finish. He’s a star talent though. Marathon season wasn’t his friend.

2nd in rookie scoring with the added benefit of just flat out being a joy to watch play. I'm not surprised.

Reactions: hbk

hbk

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Visit site
what was annoying was watching NHL network and listening to Weekes and Lawton pick the rookie top 10 re-draft. I was fine if they selected McAvoy & Barzal 1-2, but then Keller finished 6th behind Hischier, Sergachev and DuBois. East coast bias for sure.
This is why I was surprised he finished at 3.

Jamieh

Apr 25, 2012
McAvoy is a stud, but I choose Keller of him. Easily over Sergachev and Dubois. Slightly over Hischier, but Hischier could turn out to be something special as well.
Your bias is showing. No one is picking Keller over MacAvoy. Doubtful over Sergachev. Dubois or Hischer maybe but Centers are kinda more valuable.

RemoAZ

Let it burn
Mar 30, 2010
Glendale, Arizona
No surprise that Keller's numbers dipped when Tocc started dicking with the lines. I think he should have left the Domi, Stepan, Keller line together all year. I bet Keller would have had a bunch more points if he did.

SniperHF

Rejecting Reports
Mar 9, 2007
Phoenix
Your bias is showing. No one is picking Keller over MacAvoy. Doubtful over Sergachev. Dubois or Hischer maybe but Centers are kinda more valuable.

The suggestion that only bias would allow you to think Keller is better is 100% laughable.

Keller was drafted ahead of Serg and McAvoy, so someone thought he was better at one point. Was ranked ahead of them on many prospect lists coming into the season, even above Hischier on a few. Is on the nominee list when the others aren't.
It's not an off the wall ranking to have Keller ahead of McAvoy.

Dubois and Sergachev are longer term propositions.

Keller does what he does with less help than than all those guys. McAvoy plays behind either the best or 2nd best possession line in hockey. Sergachev plays third pairing minutes (at best) on the best offensive team in the league. Hischier gets to feed Taylor Hall and focus on his two way game.

Keller has to drive his line on the third dumpiest dumpster fire in the league and succeeds at it.

There's a very good chance some of these names end up better. There's also a very good chance they don't. None of them are so obviously ahead of him right now.

Plub

Part time Leaf fan
Jan 9, 2011
Arizona

Why? He was the team a lot of nights and he likely watched 15-20 assists die on peoples' stick that most average NHL players would have finished. Well deserved.

EDIT: Just saw your second comment.

Plub

Part time Leaf fan
Jan 9, 2011
Arizona

So your opinion is now fact for everyone? Good to know. I'll let you know the next time I need an opinion to have.

Jamieh

Apr 25, 2012
The suggestion that only bias would allow you to think Keller is better is 100% laughable.

Keller was drafted ahead of Serg and McAvoy, so someone thought he was better at one point. Was ranked ahead of them on many prospect lists coming into the season, even above Hischier on a few. Is on the nominee list when the others aren't.
It's not an off the wall ranking to have Keller ahead of McAvoy.

Dubois and Sergachev are longer term propositions.

Keller does what he does with less help than than all those guys. McAvoy plays behind either the best or 2nd best possession line in hockey. Sergachev plays third pairing minutes (at best) on the best offensive team in the league. Hischier gets to feed Taylor Hall and focus on his two way game.

Keller has to drive his line on the third dumpiest dumpster fire in the league and succeeds at it.

There's a very good chance some of these names end up better. There's also a very good chance they don't. None of them are so obviously ahead of him right now.
It's a redo of the draft based on what you saw this season. Literally no one picks Keller over McAvoy as a stud D man, which McAvoy looked this season, are more valuable than wingers. Like I said doubtful over Serg, that means some might. It's not about where they were ranked, it's about if the draft was being redone right now after a season. Should add that it might even benefit Keller that he played on a bad team, he didn't have competition for ice time or PP time. When he slumped there really wasn't someone else ready to take his ice time.

Last edited:

The Feckless Puck

Registered Loser
Sponsor
Oct 26, 2006
My opinion isn't fact but it is a pretty safe claim that everyone would pick McAvoy over Keller right now.

Only because McAvoy's in the playoffs and Keller is golfing.

This league's brain trust has absolutely no sensitivity for context.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
It's a redo of the draft based on what you saw this season. Literally no one picks Keller over McAvoy as a stud D man, which McAvoy looked this season, are more valuable than wingers. Like I said doubtful over Serg, that means some might. It's not about where they were ranked, it's about if the draft was being redone right now after a season. Should add that it might even benefit Keller that he played on a bad team, he didn't have competition for ice time or PP time. When he slumped there really wasn't someone else ready to take his ice time.
These draft redo's after one season is a waste of time. Wait for at least five years, and even then that could be too early.

Jamieh

Apr 25, 2012
Only because McAvoy's in the playoffs and Keller is golfing.

This league's brain trust has absolutely no sensitivity for context.
No, It's because McAvoy played 1st pairing D successfully all season and did it very well. And he's doing it again in the playoffs.

Jamieh

Apr 25, 2012
These draft redo's after one season is a waste of time. Wait for at least five years, and even then that could be too early.
That's true and they are rather pointless but It's still ok to discuss it.

The Feckless Puck

Registered Loser
Sponsor
Oct 26, 2006
No, It's because McAvoy played 1st pairing D successfully all season and did it very well. And he's doing it again in the playoffs.

...on a much, much better team than the Coyotes. But your response is actually a great illustration of the traditional lack of context in the NHL cognoscenti, so thanks!

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->