Speculation: Coyotes are preferred trade destination for Kessel

heilongjetsfan

Jul 4, 2011
With speculation that Kessel wants to move, and Panarin would consider a trade, if the Yotes could bring both of those guys in without moving any of their pick, Keller, Strome, Fischer ----

Panarin/Stepan/Kessel
Tkachuk/Galchenyuk/Keller
Perlini/Strome/Fischer
Panik/Dvorak/Rinaldo

That is a very very scary offensive group. Very scary.
Sure, seems completely reasonable. Panarin and Kessel for free. Did you wanna take Mark Scheifele as your 1C? I hear a lot of the guys in the dressing room are sick of him working so hard and making them look bad. How about a conditional 7th in 2024?

RSPens

May 25, 2015
Not saying that I think the Pens should trade Kessel and not saying that they should accept this trade. However, from my perspective the Pens could/ should target a d-man if trading Kessel. Maybe something like this.

Hjarmallson(31 y/o) + 2nd + B level winger prospect for Kessel + Hunwick

or

Hjarmallson + 5 OA for Kessel and a small +

Personnaly I would prefer Sheary or someone else moved to help the D, but I also believe Oleksiak and Ruhwedal will be better next season and the Pens might not even need to do anything about their D (other than getting rid of Hunwick)

molon labe

Jul 13, 2016
Florida
Not saying that I think the Pens should trade Kessel and not saying that they should accept this trade. However, from my perspective the Pens could/ should target a d-man if trading Kessel. Maybe something like this.

Hjarmallson(31 y/o) + 2nd + B level winger prospect for Kessel + Hunwick

or

Hjarmallson + 5 OA for Kessel and a small +

Personnaly I would prefer Sheary or someone else moved to help the D, but I also believe Oleksiak and Ruhwedal will be better next season and the Pens might not even need to do anything about their D (other than getting rid of Hunwick)

You're on the right track. If Hunwick is included and the Pens are getting the 5OA as a return base for Kessel - that certainly gets a lot of attention from GMJR. Sheary going out for a defensemen is also a consideration this summer.

Honestly right now, without the 5OA and/ or the inclusion of Hunwick's contract -I'm not sure how AZ beats a few other teams who may have interest. The fact Kessel would like to go there helps, but an offer of mid-6, average defense, or prospects likely gets beaten pretty handily by the likes of St Louis, Buffalo, LA, EDM, Vegas, or anyone else who could use speed and/or scoring in their lineup.

Personally, I'd like to see the Coyotes do better - AZ or St Louis are my biased destinations for Kessel if he's to leave us...but value is often overlooked here. Kessel is a guy who demands that little extra push to acquire, as the Pens likely get 3-4 of the same offer for him.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad