Speculation: Coyotes are preferred trade destination for Kessel

BrokenFace

Aug 15, 2010
STL
A team no where near being a contender is considering trading a top draft pick for Phil Kessel? Haven't we been down this road before with Toronto?

I love Kessel but the Yotes aren't ready for this move yet. This will only get then stuck in the playoff bubble / losing in first round zone for a few years. Kessel is great but this isn't the right move.

molon labe

Jul 13, 2016
Florida
A team no where near being a contender is considering trading a top draft pick for Phil Kessel? Haven't we been down this road before with Toronto?

I love Kessel but the Yotes aren't ready for this move yet. This will only get then stuck in the playoff bubble / losing in first round zone for a few years. Kessel is great but this isn't the right move.

Let's not pretend they're not trying to be competitive either. They are extending OEL for 8 years, acquired Stepan (who would be making nearly the same money as Kessel - who likely becomes their perennial leading scorer), and traded Domi (a possible piece) for Galchenyuk (a definite piece) ...

This sounds more like a trade tactic than it does actual denial. They could do a lot worse than some of the names on their roster and still reach the floor. They're also not as far from contending as some suggest. With the defensive corps and goaltending they CAN get out of that team, a few scorers could go a long way.

All this said, I think there are far better suitors out there for Kessel - Pittsburgh, St Louis, Buffalo, New Jersey, Vegas, LA - than Arizona. Just a matter of returns and that clause he has. In the rising cap world - 70+ points (conservatively) at 6.8M holds tremendous value. The problem here is his clause and that he's potentially being moved by a contending team. IF this was like the Toronto situation, the Pens would surely take on futures quite happily. Kessel is also only signed to his mid 30's - not upper 30's/retirement age..

Reactions: Matias Maccete

Toby Flenderson

Jun 4, 2015
Let's not pretend they're not trying to be competitive either. They are extending OEL for 8 years, acquired Stepan (who would be making nearly the same money as Kessel - who likely becomes their perennial leading scorer), and traded Domi (a possible piece) for Galchenyuk (a definite piece) ...

This sounds more like a trade tactic than it does actual denial. They could do a lot worse than some of the names on their roster and still reach the floor. They're also not as far from contending as some suggest. With the defensive corps and goaltending they CAN get out of that team, a few scorers could go a long way.

All this said, I think there are far better suitors out there for Kessel - Pittsburgh, St Louis, Buffalo, New Jersey, Vegas, LA - than Arizona. Just a matter of returns and that clause he has. In the rising cap world - 70+ points (conservatively) at 6.8M holds tremendous value. The problem here is his clause and that he's potentially being moved by a contending team. IF this was like the Toronto situation, the Pens would surely take on futures quite happily. Kessel is also only signed to his mid 30's - not upper 30's/retirement age..
I agree with your first paragraph. They sound like a team that wants to win. Trading for Stepan and Galchenyuk and extending OEL is aggressive, meaning they want to compete. Adding Kessel to their core, and with a healthy goalie, they could have a great year honestly.

Jared Dunn

Dec 23, 2013
Yellowknife
Can't see Kessel willing to go to a cellar dweller, But he does have two cups with Pittsburgh. And maybe winning isn't important to him any more.

Coyotes were one of the better teams in the league in the second half. Now that Raanta is comfortable there and their young players are actually starting to step up they could very much be a Kessel away from being a threat

Damisoph

Jun 29, 2010
What’s funny?

A Keller-Strome-Kessel line could be a really good 1-2 punch with a Stepan-Galchenyuk line.

I'm sure he would perform just fine and score his 25-30 goals but it should be needless to say that you don't acquire Phil Kessel for a mentorship gig.

Devilsrock17

Jun 20, 2018
Phil Kessel is a baby but a good player he's coming off a career year and Jim Rutherford isn't going to trade him for pennies. With that being said here are my two trades.... Phil Kessel traded to the oilers for RNH and Lucid or the more likely rout Phil Kessel traded to Chicago for Anisimov,Murphy,and a,draft pick

Toby Flenderson

Jun 4, 2015
Phil Kessel is a baby but a good player he's coming off a career year and Jim Rutherford isn't going to trade him for pennies. With that being said here are my two trades.... Phil Kessel traded to the oilers for RNH and Lucid or the more likely rout Phil Kessel traded to Chicago for Anisimov,Murphy,and a,draft pick
The oil trade is crap and if he goes to Chicago the 8th OA comes back

Reactions: domaug

domaug

Play Virtua Fighter, let's go Pens
Sep 28, 2017
up de Eynon
both of those trades are rough for Pittsburgh. i personally wouldn't want Lucic for free and they don't need RNH. from Chicago I'd rather a package around #8 overall and a decent defenseman.

Blue Goose

May 26, 2012
Los Angeles
hockeytransplant.com

Why am I not surprised that a media member from the east would report something like this about the Coyotes? Isn't this a regular occurrence??
“I’d like to know more about it, too. I think it’s terrible reporting,” Chayka said. “It’s inaccurate across the board from start to finish. I don’t know where some things come up. I’m the one having trade discussions, those discussions with the Penguins haven’t occurred. Unless someone else is making calls that I don’t know about, I’m not sure where his information’s coming from.”

Vyruz Reaper

Oct 4, 2005
Sunny SoCal
Bizarre place to want to go, but he could definitely help Arizona
It'd be neat to see them be a good team

If you think about it - it does make sense. Maybe too much sense.

Phil does not like the limelight. AZ will be FAR away from anyone giving a shit what happens there.

Toronto is the biggest hockey city: Phil hated it
Pitts started winning cups: Phil hated it (weird I know)

molon labe

Jul 13, 2016
Florida
It's called the Pittsburgh media, it's all one big joke. Take what any of them say with a grain of salt. It's mostly made up bull****.

Strong reason (just for those of you who never stop by) - there's a thread in our section of the boards appropriately titled: "Pittsburgh Media Thread - Still the Worst" [has also been known as worst of the worst and other names in the past]

I think it's a bit overstated, since media around the globe is downright trash and a waste of time to follow - but I wouldn't mind throwing their hat in the ring for worst over all.

Tom Hanks

Spelling mistakes brought to you by my iPhone.
Nov 10, 2017
I'm sure he would perform just fine and score his 25-30 goals but it should be needless to say that you don't acquire Phil Kessel for a mentorship gig.

It helps to promote a winning culture which is still important for a young team. You want happy players. Constantly losing or looking like management doesn’t want to start pushing for playoffs can take its toll.

That’s more a general statement and not that Arizona should trade for Kessel but it’s not a bad option either. More quality players insulates the young players a little more (or any age really) and can help their progress too.

attaamillo

Oct 27, 2014
It's called the Pittsburgh media, it's all one big joke. Take what any of them say with a grain of salt. It's mostly made up bull****.

I'm pretty aurpriaed actually. Yohe is as good as it gets with sports media in Pittsburgh, imo.

OCPenguin

Jan 22, 2013

LOL ... why would Pittsburgh do that with Edmonton? Lucic is slow; isn't good and has a lousy contract.

pucky

Jan 11, 2011
If the Pens can get a 1st round, 5th selection pick, out of it, they should do it, shouldn't they? They should try to get some good young players when they can and they won't be getting picks that high just yet.

Who is saying that Kessel doesn't like it in Pittsburgh or winning, though?

Pens x

Oct 8, 2016
We will never hear about Phil if he ends up on the Yotes. Maybe he will enjoy playing in obscurity.

LeafFever

Feb 12, 2016

Why am I not surprised that a media member from the east would report something like this about the Coyotes? Isn't this a regular occurrence??

In fairness the Coyotees also claimed they were not going to try to trade for Matthews, only to admit the following year they tried hard.
Just be happy the East bothers to cover the yotes.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad