Speculation: Coyotes are preferred trade destination for Kessel

jetsforever

Dec 14, 2013
Bizarre place to want to go, but he could definitely help Arizona
It'd be neat to see them be a good team

OCPenguin

Jan 22, 2013
With speculation that Kessel wants to move, and Panarin would consider a trade, if the Yotes could bring both of those guys in without moving any of their pick, Keller, Strome, Fischer ----

Panarin/Stepan/Kessel
Tkachuk/Galchenyuk/Keller
Perlini/Strome/Fischer
Panik/Dvorak/Rinaldo

That is a very very scary offensive group. Very scary.

This post is part of the problem with this board. Arizona would have to give up those assets and more to get those two.

Toby Flenderson

Jun 4, 2015
Just checked Cap Friendly, AZ has 18 million in space and they don’t want to add Kessel because of money???

What in the world??

5th OA plus some money coming back to Pitt (Kruger maybe?) for Kessel would be fine with me. Brady Tkachuk would look real good in a Pens uniform and solves our LW to RW ratio problem.

paragon

May 5, 2010
Yep, it has everything to do with how awesome of a franchise the Coyotes are.

poster_168f3a72663849f2b753794fb1ab2459_90188293_ver1.0_640_480.jpg
Yeah, has to be the franchise because that weather looks like hell.

Drift

Jan 9, 2012
Did he enjoy playing for Tocchet? Seems pretty logical he would want to play for him again.

molon labe

Jul 13, 2016
Florida
A guy leaving Pittsburgh for Arizona is expected to gain weight? The northeast US is the fattest part of our country (outside of Alabama)... pasty white fatties is a commonality. AZ/Southern California is littered with young attractive people. Seriously, take a trip - or just use a search engine and look up the colleges or lakes in Arizona. I've lived in Florida most of my life and we don't hold a candle to that region of the country. Kessel is big into fishing and golf - and people wonder why he'd like to play there? Let alone the Tocchet dynamic.

Phil is a hero until he's brought up for trade. He goes from elite winger whom everyone wants to win a Smythe to a fat lazy player who's in his 30's and not worth a 5OA who MAY end up top-6 in the NHL. The assessments on HF are lazy - not Kessel.

Guess everyone forgets that the Pens are looking at asset management.. not trying to ditch the guy. We have more options here and if the offers are garbage for a 75 point wing, we'll keep him and his increasingly good contract.

Jan 21, 2018
If Kessel goes there, they aren't anywhere near the cellar. Raanta looked lights out, their defense now has chemistry together and got a big boost with Galchenyuk to score goals and arrival of Dylan Strome. They are a darkhorse to make the playoffs

Phil Kessel could win the Stanley Cup with the Arizona Coyotes as their captain, win the conne smythe, score the GWG in OT off a penalty shot that was caused because he outskated Roman Polak using only one of his legs...and he'd still go unnoticed if he walked into any Arizona bar.

Asheville

Feb 1, 2018
Once you've won a Cup, it's off to playing golf year-round with the Panthers, Lightning, Coyotes, Stars, Ducks or Kings!

Toby Flenderson

Jun 4, 2015
And no way the Pens should do that in a middle of a cup window.

I don't see a good trade between these teams.
I understand this mentality but consider also that cup winning teams usually have a strong core surrounded by ELC talent. If our core offense is Crosby, Malkin, Guentzel, Hornqvist, and Brassard... I think we can stand to lose Kessel if it means getting strong ELC talent and cap space.

Trading Kessel and adding a guy like Brady Tkachuck, while adding cap space to upgrade our D in free agency which is a bigger need, could actually benefit the Penguins in their win now window.

PensandCaps

Beddy Tlueger
May 22, 2015
I understand this mentality but consider also that cup winning teams usually have a strong core surrounded by ELC talent. If our core offense is Crosby, Malkin, Guentzel, Hornqvist, and Brassard... I think we can stand to lose Kessel if it means getting strong ELC talent and cap space.

Trading Kessel and adding a guy like Brady Tkachuck, while adding cap space to upgrade our D in free agency which is a bigger need, could actually benefit the Penguins in their win now window.

Is Brady NHL ready? Is he like his Brother? If so, then I'd be open to it.

attaamillo

Oct 27, 2014
I don't see why the 5th overall is off the table. Jordan Staal as a free agent got the 8th overall, good young roster player (thought to be at the time), and a really good prospect in Dumoulin.

Kessel is a bit older of course, but he's more of a game breaker than Staal.

domaug

Play Virtua Fighter, let's go Pens
Sep 28, 2017
up de Eynon
Just checked Cap Friendly, AZ has 18 million in space and they don’t want to add Kessel because of money???

What in the world??

5th OA plus some money coming back to Pitt (Kruger maybe?) for Kessel would be fine with me. Brady Tkachuk would look real good in a Pens uniform and solves our LW to RW ratio problem.
i think it has more to do with actual salary to spend on players than it has to do with the cap.

there can be a salary cap, but that doesn't mean every team is able to spend to that cap.

domaug

Play Virtua Fighter, let's go Pens
Sep 28, 2017
up de Eynon
I don't see why the 5th overall is off the table. Jordan Staal as a free agent got the 8th overall, good young roster player (thought to be at the time), and a really good prospect in Dumoulin.

Kessel is a bit older of course, but he's more of a game breaker than Staal.
i don't necessarily think they have to trade #5 overall to land Kessel, so long as they're willing to trade out of players they would rather keep (very unlikely depending on the player).

i just think the #5 overall pick is the most attractive piece from them in this scenario. if that's not on the table, that's fine, but i don't see what they could possibly offer at that point to make it worth it for the Pens.

Toby Flenderson

Jun 4, 2015
Is Brady NHL ready? Is he like his Brother? If so, then I'd be open to it.
From the tape I’ve seen he is very impressive. And from the interviews he sounds very competitive much like his brother.

Who knows if he be equally as successful but I would bet he’s at least pretty close.

LeafFever

Feb 12, 2016

What in the world??

"Cap Space" does not matter to Arizona. They can never afford to go anywhere near the cap max. They are losing millions per year as it is. Cap space matters to teams that can go to the cap max. Why do you think they always acquire cap hits of retired players? It's because it's a cap hit without actually paying the salary.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad