Speculation: Coyotes are preferred trade destination for Kessel

Zippy316

aka Zippo
Aug 17, 2012
New Jersey
That just seems like a bullshit excuse from Arizona.

If this information is true, I think this is just Arizona flexing some of their leverage to hopefully get the price down.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
That just seems like a bull**** excuse from Arizona.

If this information is true, I think this is just Arizona flexing some of their leverage to hopefully get the price down.

I could actually see salary being a problem, not for next year but for down the line. They have a boatload of players on ELCs right now, I don't think they want to be stuck with Kessel and possibly impact re-signing those guys. Maybe they don't want to be above the salary floor if they're bringing in long term commitments.

RemoAZ

Let it burn
Mar 30, 2010
Glendale, Arizona
That just seems like a bull**** excuse from Arizona.

I hope you're right because it's pretty embarrassing if true. A RHS big time goal scorer checks off a lot of boxes for this team.

Zippy316

aka Zippo
Aug 17, 2012
New Jersey
I could actually see salary being a problem, not for next year but for down the line. They have a boatload of players on ELCs right now, I don't think they want to be stuck with Kessel and possibly impact re-signing those guys. Maybe they don't want to be above the salary floor if they're bringing in long term commitments.
I hope you're right because it's pretty embarrassing if true. A RHS big time goal scorer checks off a lot of boxes for this team.

If Kessel wants to come to your team, I think you find a way to make it work. Only way it wouldn't work is if their financials are way way worse then we think and they are on a very low internal cap.

Even then, they should be a much improved team next year. If they add Kessel, then they are likely a playoff bound team and the revenue generated from that alone should help pay for his addition to the team.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
If Kessel wants to come to your team, I think you find a way to make it work. Only way it wouldn't work is if their financials are way way worse then we think and they are on a very low internal cap.

Even then, they should be a much improved team next year. If they add Kessel, then they are likely a playoff bound team and the revenue generated from that alone should help pay for his addition to the team.

Is it worth possibly losing someone like Christian Fischer to have a 34 year old Kessel, though? That's where the problems come up. I see that as being completely fair if their concern is long term, but if it's just "lol we don't wanna spend any more than we have to", then yeah, that's bogus.

Reactions: _Del_

Starat327

Top .01% OnlyHands
Sponsor
May 8, 2011
Philadelphia, Pa
Yep, it has everything to do with how awesome of a franchise the Coyotes are.

poster_168f3a72663849f2b753794fb1ab2459_90188293_ver1.0_640_480.jpg

That looks like a huge reason to NOT go there.

Reactions: paragon

orbiter11

Sep 11, 2014
a line with Galchenyuk and Kessel might be interesting
Then Phoenix signs Bozak to a decent contract. Now you've got the Maple leafs top line a few years back. Even though im kinda being sarcastic its not a bad idea, if Phoenix wants to win and spend a bit.

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
Is it worth possibly losing someone like Christian Fischer to have a 34 year old Kessel, though? That's where the problems come up. I see that as being completely fair if their concern is long term, but if it's just "lol we don't wanna spend any more than we have to", then yeah, that's bogus.
34 year old Kessel? Just when are you trying to make this trade?

rt

May 13, 2004
The Coyotes are crap until they prove otherwise. Phil wants to be comfortable. There’s nothing wrong with that. It doesn’t mean he’s going to become bad at his job just because he’s happy with his surroundings.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
34 year old Kessel? Just when are you trying to make this trade?

Kessel's under contract until he's like 34 or something, so the Coyotes have to look at this from a long term POV. If they're concerned that having Kessel at $6.8 million at that point may cause problems with signing their younger guys on ELCs, I think they have a legitimate concern.

Zippy316

aka Zippo
Aug 17, 2012
New Jersey

Fischer and Perlini are debatable.

Kessel is 30. You make that deal for the added bonus he gives you over the next three or four years versus Perlini or Fischer. Just from a quick glimpse, it seems that Arizona has developed a pretty solid prospect pool with a lot of nice pieces where I think they can afford to move one of those guys.

I think this 'excuse' is a ploy to get the price away from Strome, Chychrun, Dvorak and close to Perlini/Fischer group in all honesty. Maybe even get them to bite on the Crouse, Merkley, and Steenbergen group although I doubt Pittsburgh goes for that.

Pens x

Oct 8, 2016
Sullivan and Phil need to sit down and resolve their issues. This makes both of them look very unprofessional.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
Fischer and Perlini are debatable.

Kessel is 30. You make that deal for the added bonus he gives you over the next three or four years versus Perlini or Fischer. Just from a quick glimpse, it seems that Arizona has developed a pretty solid prospect pool with a lot of nice pieces where I think they can afford to move one of those guys.

I think this 'excuse' is a ploy to get the price away from Strome, Chychrun, Dvorak and close to Perlini/Fischer group in all honesty. Maybe even get them to bite on the Crouse, Merkley, and Steenbergen group although I doubt Pittsburgh goes for that.

I think the best case scenario for a Kessel trade is bringing back someone in the Perlini/Fischer group, not the first group :laugh:

I'm not sure what kind of position the Coyotes are in, so I don't know what they'd offer for Kessel in the first place. I don't think the teams make great trade partners. I think the Penguins want more established players, and the Coyotes have a lot of great young players that aren't fully proven as NHLers yet.

Zippy316

aka Zippo
Aug 17, 2012
New Jersey
I think the best case scenario for a Kessel trade is bringing back someone in the Perlini/Fischer group, not the first group :laugh:

I'm not sure what kind of position the Coyotes are in, so I don't know what they'd offer for Kessel in the first place. I don't think the teams make great trade partners. I think the Penguins want more established players, and the Coyotes have a lot of great young players that aren't fully proven as NHLers yet.

Perlini and Fischer are exactly the guys that I think the Penguins would covet. Young cost-controlled guys who have proved they're NHL players and likely won 't ask for too much on their next deals but could flourish next to Crosby/Malkin/Brassard.

From what it looks like, Arizona has compiled a nice wealth of high-end prospects so I think Perlini or Fischer could be expendable, especially to bring in an elite winger.

rt

May 13, 2004
From the Athletic today (paywall):

“Rutherford wants to make the Penguins deeper. When Evgeni Malkin was injured in the postseason, the Penguins went from being a two-line team to a one-line team. That wasn’t enough to get the job done against the eventual Stanley Cup-champion Capitals.

One of the trademarks of the Penguins during their two-year title run was the ability to generate offense from four lines. Rutherford wants the Penguins to move back in that direction.

“We need to get deeper,” Rutherford said. “That’s a big goal for us right now. I want more balance throughout our lineup.”

In a perfect world, the Penguins would get a little younger. Sidney Crosby turns 31 this summer. Evgeni Malkin turns 32. Kessel will be 31 in October.”

So multiple younger pieces might fit the plan.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
Perlini and Fischer are exactly the guys that I think the Penguins would covet. Young cost-controlled guys who have proved they're NHL players and likely won 't ask for too much on their next deals but could flourish next to Crosby/Malkin/Brassard.

From what it looks like, Arizona has compiled a nice wealth of high-end prospects so I think Perlini or Fischer could be expendable, especially to bring in an elite winger.

So multiple younger pieces might fit the plan.

My concern is that guys like Fischer only have 1 season so far of being in the NHL, which I think is still a gamble on the Penguins part. If I had to guess, a guy like Pearson would be perfect for the Penguins: a younger player that has established himself beyond all doubt as a NHLer. Perlini and Fischer haven't done that just because they're too young at this point, although you could probably change my mind with Perlini because he has done it for 2 years. Domi was a perfect piece for the Penguins because he was both really young and indisputably a top-6 forward, but I could see them hesitating with guys like Fischer because he doesn't have a long track record of producing.

Honestly, if the Penguins could pull off Goligoski and Perlini as the main pieces for Kessel, I'd be happy with that.

Toby Flenderson

Jun 4, 2015
My concern is that guys like Fischer only have 1 season so far of being in the NHL, which I think is still a gamble on the Penguins part. If I had to guess, a guy like Pearson would be perfect for the Penguins: a younger player that has established himself beyond all doubt as a NHLer. Perlini and Fischer haven't done that just because they're too young at this point, although you could probably change my mind with Perlini because he has done it for 2 years. Domi was a perfect piece for the Penguins because he was both really young and indisputably a top-6 forward, but I could see them hesitating with guys like Fischer because he doesn't have a long track record of producing.

Honestly, if the Penguins could pull off Goligoski and Perlini as the main pieces for Kessel, I'd be happy with that.
Perlini and Goligoski for Kessel? Yuck. That honestly sounds terrible. Perlini is an average forward, nothing more. Goligoski is a good D man but not in the realm of skill Kessel is in.

Pitt would be wasting Kessel as an asset if they don’t either a) get a high 1st for him or b) get a similarly talented player either forward or D (Subban 1 for 1 for example)

In this case, it has to be the 5th OA. Assuming Galchenyuk, Keller, Strome, Dvorak, OEL, and Chychrun are off the table (which they rightfully should be since Kessel is 30), then nothing else in AZ interests me for Kessel other than 5th OA.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->