Speculation: Coyotes are preferred trade destination for Kessel

Bounces R Way

Nov 18, 2013
Weegartown
Coyotes are not cellar dwellers imo anymore. They proved they can be a top team at the end of last season.
200w.webp

Takes a bit more than going on a nice run in garbage time to prove you're a top team. Or even that you're capable of being a top team. Especially when you're the Arizona Coyotes who refuse to spend much past the cap floor, whose city and ownership barely wants them, and have made it past the 1st round exactly once in their entire existence.

Phil just wants to be somewhere he can run the show.

Brock Radunske

안양종합운동장 빙상장
Aug 8, 2012
He has his cups so I wouldn't be shocked if he wanted to lay low in a southern market.

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
Doesn’t mean that is the only reason. Easy summation of why he would like to go to Arizona
1. Tocchet (Easy to understand after his relationship with Sullivan)
2. No pressure, easy to understand why after his stints with Toronto and Pittsburgh
3. No state income tax.

Haha. I wish that were true. I'd be due one hell of a refund.

GOilers88

Fer Da
Dec 24, 2016
Lol @ the people who were adamant that they knew Kessel would NEVER go to Arizona.

Wish I had the gumption to link that thread so I could laugh at the people who laughed at me. Sadface.

Reactions: BeSeeingYouSeattle

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
Need salary going back to Pittsburgh to make it work.

And that basically kills any deal because I don't see the point of trading Kessel to Arizona if it doesn't involve the Penguins getting some salary relief.

I just don't see what Arizona would offer, now that Domi has been traded. Goligoski would have to be included for cap reasons, but I don't see that making sense for either team.

Toby Flenderson

Jun 4, 2015
And that basically kills any deal because I don't see the point of trading Kessel to Arizona if it doesn't involve the Penguins getting some salary relief.

I just don't see what Arizona would offer, now that Domi has been traded. Goligoski would have to be included for cap reasons, but I don't see that making sense for either team.
5th OA + Goligoski for Kessel + Hunwick

Pitt saves roughly 3.5 mill in space. AZ only absorbs 3.5 mill which should be doable for a guy like Kessel.

rt

May 13, 2004
5th OA + Goligoski for Kessel + Hunwick

Pitt saves roughly 3.5 mill in space. AZ only absorbs 3.5 mill which should be doable for a guy like Kessel.
I like Kessel. He’s worth a lot. Why would a team like Arizona trade a top five pick for a player with Kessel’s birth year? It just doesn’t fit.

rt

May 13, 2004
Even though Rick Tocchet is already their as the head coach, are the Coyotes even on Kessel's approved 8 team trade list?
Why does it matter? The article says it’s his preference. The Penguins have other options on his list to choose from. 7 if Arizona is one of them or 8 if they are not. He may have some other teams not on the list that hes okay with too. He can refuse to all but eight. Doesn’t mean he must refuse.

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
Why does it matter? The article says it’s his preference. The Penguins have other options on his list to choose from. 7 if Arizona is one of them or 8 if they are not. He may have some other teams not on the list that hes okay with too. He can refuse to all but eight. Doesn’t mean he must refuse.
Because Kessel needs to approve any trade if it's a team not on his approved list. If the Coyotes are on it that would make it easier to trade him to them.

AZviaNJ

Setbacks, no Defeats
Mar 31, 2011
AZ

Probably need a 3rd team....but still will be a challenge.

Ryan Michaels

Mar 21, 2017
Coyotes are not cellar dwellers imo anymore. They proved they can be a top team at the end of last season.

This is such an odd misconception on these boards, they proved they could not suck as hard as they did at the start of the year. Top team? I think not.

bleedgreen

Dec 8, 2003
colorado
Visit site
I love how people are questioning his heart and character because he'd consider going. People just love to hate the guy, no matter how many times he proves them wrong.

They're an improving team, and he likes the coach - what's wrong with going there? They were close to the cup a few years ago. There's no reason to think they won't ever get back.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->