Coyotes announce widespread layoffs

WrinkledPossum

Play Dead
Apr 23, 2016
Same day X lands on the cover of the PBJ. Guess he's serious about running it like a business. It is a business, but it's also a hockey team.

https://www.bizjournals.com/phoenix...-gutierrez-arizona-coyotes-ceo-interview.html

And hey X, never a good look to show up smiling on the cover of a magazine the same day you RIF a massive number of employees.
I had zero confidence in this guy to begin with. Zero sports background, probably knows nothing about hockey.

I figured he'd make a poor hire like Chiarelli to be our new GM because he has an "extensive hockey resume with years of experience in league."

Now I'm worried our scouting department will get gutted as well, and every hockey move could be put under a financial microscope.

awfulwaffle

Jun 20, 2011
Dallas, TX
I had zero confidence in this guy to begin with. Zero sports background, probably knows nothing about hockey.

I figured he'd make a poor hire like Chiarelli to be our new GM because he has an "extensive hockey resume with years of experience in league."

Now I'm worried our scouting department will get gutted as well, and every hockey move could be put under a financial microscope.

That's a quick take. The job cuts could have been just around sales and arena work. Who knows when fans are coming back?

_Del_

Jul 4, 2003
I like how you are all still pretending that the economic environment isn't going to affect hockey teams...

Murf

Apr 10, 2007
WESTSIDE(of Gilbert)
That's a quick take. The job cuts could have been just around sales and arena work. Who knows when fans are coming back?

That’s what I would expect. There isn’t a lot for people to do, if there are no fans in stands. 20-21, whatever that schedule looks like, probably isn’t going to include 15,000 people shoulder-to-shoulder.

TheLegend

Megathread Gadfly
Aug 30, 2009
Buzzing BoH

He was a Sharks fan. But got hooked on the sport when was in college.

Try reading up about him a little.

Bondurant

Jul 4, 2012
Phoenix, Arizona
Surprised it took this long. My ticket rep was axed/furloughed months ago. Assumed most others had too. I spend my days talking to folks that have not worked since March or April and forced to turn to retirement accounts to get by.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
I like how you are all still pretending that the economic environment isn't going to affect hockey teams...
Exactly, and the worse is yet to come. People keep on letting politicians run their lives, this is what happens.

Reactions: 87turbobuick

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
Surprised it took this long. My ticket rep was axed/furloughed months ago. Assumed most others had too. I spend my days talking to folks that have not worked since March or April and forced to turn to retirement accounts to get by.
Sad, and what happens when that is gone. People work all their life for retirement and now have nothing.

WrinkledPossum

Play Dead
Apr 23, 2016
He was a Sharks fan. But got hooked on the sport when was in college.

Try reading up about him a little.
All the articles I saw when he was hired only talked about his business experience. And even after doing a Google search I didn't see anything about him getting hooked on the sport.

Regardless, my main gripe with him is not having any pro sports experience. Cohen started in lower ranking position and gained experience before becoming CEO.

Gutierrez got handed the keys to an NHL team without experience. Not having relevant experience usually doesn't end well. At least when he was hired it looked like Chayka was going to handle the hockey side, and he would handle getting a new arena.

Now he's fully in charge saying he's going to run the team like a business, not a team. When teams are run like that they typically aren't successful on the ice, or on the field, diamond etc.

Bondurant

Jul 4, 2012
Phoenix, Arizona
Sad, and what happens when that is gone. People work all their life for retirement and now have nothing.
But there is a silver lining in all of this...the bureaucrats are still collecting paychecks as they work tirelessly to screw us over. It is thankless work deeming millions "unessential" for political reasons.

Reactions: Yandover

TheLegend

Megathread Gadfly
Aug 30, 2009
Buzzing BoH
All the articles I saw when he was hired only talked about his business experience. And even after doing a Google search I didn't see anything about him getting hooked on the sport.

Regardless, my main gripe with him is not having any pro sports experience. Cohen started in lower ranking position and gained experience before becoming CEO.

Gutierrez got handed the keys to an NHL team without experience. Not having relevant experience usually doesn't end well. At least when he was hired it looked like Chayka was going to handle the hockey side, and he would handle getting a new arena.

Now he's fully in charge saying he's going to run the team like a business, not a team. When teams are run like that they typically aren't successful on the ice, or on the field, diamond etc.

Cohen was originally the Coyotes legal council. He spent two years doing legal work before they made him CEO. That’s hardly a resume for success either by your own standards.

And I liked Cohen. He was a personable guy and was out there doing things all over the state.

But if the Coyotes are going to build a new arena and practice facility with Meruelo’s money, Gutierrez has been their before.

It isn’t a country club. We had that before with the FOG days.

Reactions: Jakey53

Mosby

Fire Bettman
Feb 16, 2012
Toronto
Best think about XG's hiring is he should really help with the Latino outreach. Isn't something like 42% of the state Latino?

As far as the sports background I recall one of his past jobs being with the NFL as well.

awfulwaffle

Jun 20, 2011
Dallas, TX
Cohen was originally the Coyotes legal council. He spent two years doing legal work before they made him CEO. That’s hardly a resume for success either by your own standards.

And I liked Cohen. He was a personable guy and was out there doing things all over the state.

But if the Coyotes are going to build a new arena and practice facility with Meruelo’s money, Gutierrez has been their before.

Cohen was great. He seemed personable and was always up front.

I get why he was replaced, but wish they would have kept him on board in some fashion.

Reactions: BigJCaRoach

TheLegend

Megathread Gadfly
Aug 30, 2009
Buzzing BoH
Cohen was great. He seemed personable and was always up front.

I get why he was replaced, but wish they would have kept him on board in some fashion.

For all we know they might have asked him to stay. But I also imagine it would have created an extremely difficult situation for both Cohen and Gutierrez.

WrinkledPossum

Play Dead
Apr 23, 2016

I don't know about that country club remark. Per a Friedman report it's XG, Alex Meruelo Jr, and Sullivan running the show. Now that a GM search is ongoing I would assume that leaves Alex Meruelos buddy and son running the team.

Doesn't inspire much confidence. I really hope they bring in a qualified President of Hockey Ops. It's like we're starting from scratch now...

TheLegend

Megathread Gadfly
Aug 30, 2009
Buzzing BoH
I don't know about that country club remark. Per a Friedman report it's XG, Alex Meruelo Jr, and Sullivan running the show. Now that a GM search is ongoing I would assume that leaves Alex Meruelos buddy and son running the team.

Doesn't inspire much confidence. I really hope they bring in a qualified President of Hockey Ops. It's like we're starting from scratch now...

When Jerry Reinsdorf was going to purchase the Coyotes he was going to put his son Michael in charge. Michael’s hockey pedigree amounted to owning an ECHL franchise.

XX

Waiting for Ishbia
Dec 10, 2002
PHX
When Jerry Reinsdorf was going to purchase the Coyotes he was going to put his son Michael in charge. Michael’s hockey pedigree amounted to owning an ECHL franchise.

Jerry had owned the White Sox and Bulls for about 25 years at that point. Slightly different.

TheLegend

Megathread Gadfly
Aug 30, 2009
Buzzing BoH
Jerry had owned the White Sox and Bulls for about 25 years at that point. Slightly different.

But Jerry wasn't going to run the franchise. His son Michael was. Michael spent a short time owning an ECHL team in Stockton.

This discussion was in regards to Alex Meruelo, Jr. Who's title is actually "Strategic Advisor for Business and Hockey Operations." He's basically the old man's eyes and ears.

XX

Waiting for Ishbia
Dec 10, 2002
PHX
But Jerry wasn't going to run the franchise. His son Michael was. Michael spent a short time owning an ECHL team in Stockton.

This discussion was in regards to Alex Meruelo, Jr. Who's title is actually "Strategic Advisor for Business and Hockey Operations." He's basically the old man's eyes and ears.

Michael would have spent 25+ years in a family that owned multiple sports franchises, same as Rocky Wirtz. That worked out okay.

The original point stands: Jr. doesn't belong anywhere near decisions involving hockey ops.

TheLegend

Megathread Gadfly
Aug 30, 2009
Buzzing BoH
Michael would have spent 25+ years in a family that owned multiple sports franchises, same as Rocky Wirtz. That worked out okay.

The original point stands: Jr. doesn't belong anywhere near decisions involving hockey ops.

Doesn't mean a damn thing. Dean Spanos took over the Chargers from his father Alex and still turned the franchise into a joke.

Since neither one of us really knows the guy or what he actually does at the moment it's premature for anyone to judge him on what he can (or can't) do.

His official title is "advisor", and that can mean a lot of things.

Coyotes2000

Jun 25, 2007
AZ
Why keep paying staff who are in roles that are directly affected to COVID?? Out of the kindness of your heart? Of course this is a business. Wake up

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
Why keep paying staff who are in roles that are directly affected to COVID?? Out of the kindness of your heart? Of course this is a business. Wake up
If you owned a business you would understand, and it has nothing to do with your heart.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad