How does a team with:

Tobias Rieder
Jamie McGinn
Lawson Crouse
Jordan Martinook
Nick Cousins
Brad Richardson

...need Dan Winnik of all people?

competition is my guess. Like I said, the info is very vague so i don't know how much water it holds.

I personally don't see a spot for him but who knows

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
I don't doubt the veracity of the claim. Simply the logic of management. I could definitely see him brought in on a PTO but it makes no damn sense. We have three too many of this type of player already.

_Del_

Jul 4, 2003
I love him. Slots into any position in the bottom six. High motor. PKs. 10+ goals with 4th line minutes. Zero downside. Pushes Crouse or Cousins to Tucson.

SniperHF

Rejecting Reports
Mar 9, 2007
Phoenix
I love him. Slots into any position in the bottom six. High motor. PKs. 10+ goals with 4th line minutes. Zero downside. Pushes Crouse or Cousins to Tucson.

I think he's pretty easily better than Cousins. Not sure why he didn't get a contract somewhere tbh. Some combination of age + his usual contract hardball probably.

_Del_

Jul 4, 2003
Well, at the end of the day cash pays the bills. I do think he sort of hurt himself, but I understand it. Guy lost part of his ear last year. You're one hit away from retirement every day. Wants to maximize the short term and minimize the risk.

Mosby

Salt Lake Bound
Feb 16, 2012
Toronto
Don't forget that PTOs not only offer camp competition, but you have to dress a certain number of qualified veterans for the preseason games. Winnik can fill a number there. Also allows us to rest some other guys. Do we play the Kings in the preseason? Let them injury Winnik.

AZviaNJ

“Sure as shit want to F*** Coyote fans.”
Mar 31, 2011
AZ
I asked Craig about Winnik, he said "not happening"

_Del_

Jul 4, 2003
I asked Craig about Winnik, he said "not happening"

Craig also told you Tipp was in Chicago for the draft in response to week old speculation that he might be on his way out, only to have the firing announced six hours later...

Reporters a thousand miles away have better sources than our beat reporters. Embarassing.

ck26

Alcoholab User
Jan 31, 2007
HCanes Bandwagon
Just by that video of Day 1 rookie camp, Dylan visibly looks more swift and has more pep in his step. They weren't lying.
I hope his friends back in Ontario are all Leafs fans and have spent the last 9 months whispering about Mitch Marner. And I hope Dylan is sick of hearing about it.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
Just by that video of Day 1 rookie camp, Dylan visibly looks more swift and has more pep in his step. They weren't lying.

I hope his friends back in Ontario are all Leafs fans and have spent the last 9 months whispering about Mitch Marner. And I hope Dylan is sick of hearing about it.

I still think Strome is a special player and we will see the "real" Strome at this training camp.

Hinterland

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2016
I still think Strome is a special player and we will see the "real" Strome at this training camp.

I wouldn't expect too much this year. I expect him to be ready in one year. All he needs is time. I'd still take him over Marner any day of the year and constantly hope the Coyotes didn't draft Marner vol.2 with Clayton Keller. And if they did, I hope the stuff will be smart enough to keep him in Tucson until he's ready to play NHL hockey.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad