Confirmed with Link: Coyotes Announce ECHL Affiliation with Fort Wayne Komets

PhoPhan

Feb 27, 2002
"Fort Wayne Komets" is like the platonic ideal of a AA minor league team name.

Dirty Old Man

So funny I forgot to laugh
Sponsor
Jan 29, 2008
Ostrich City
I just noticed the Comets signed Hodgman a few weeks ago, fwiw :)

Has it really been 3 years since our little infatuation with him?

And not his first time in Fort Wayne, per Wikipedia.

Interesting career - over 3 seasons 20GP-7G-9A-16Pts

...but those same 3 seasons, in playoffs...

34GP-18G-25A-43Pts (!)...truly a key piece in their IHL (part II) glory years (2008-10)

The Feckless Puck

Registered Loser
Sponsor
Oct 26, 2006
I say they buy them and move them to Prescott valley or flagstaff.

Considering the Komets have been playing in Fort Wayne for 66 years, I don't see that as a likely outcome. Only the Original Six and the Hershey Bears have been playing longer than that in the same place.

doaner

Aug 21, 2008
SURPRISE!
Considering the Komets have been playing in Fort Wayne for 66 years, I don't see that as a likely outcome. Only the Original Six and the Hershey Bears have been playing longer than that in the same place.

I can see this as being their goal though. To bring everyone much closer together.

tuxonpups

Mar 15, 2009
Their barn looks nicer than our AHL one.

uCYQrGT.jpg

Interesting, asst. coach is Bruce Boudreau's kid.

Last edited:

Tom Polakis

Next expansion
Nov 24, 2008
Tempe, AZ

I grew up in a small Michigan town with an IHL hockey team in the 1970's. That orange Komets logo hasn't changed since at least then. Looks like a circular saw blade.

Ebb

the nondescript
Dec 22, 2015
PA

Also, I doubt they'd get an Arena that can fit 10,500 ECHL fans if we moved them here. Plus, it would be much more of a threat to RR players if we say they'll end up in Fort Wayne, IN if they don't improve rather than somewhere else in Arizona :laugh:

Not to mention that the Komets were #1 in the E last season as opposed to Tulsa's #22 (the other ECHL option we'd have unless we shared).

Jormungandr

Aug 14, 2002
Ohio
Damnit I wash I was back living in Toledo this season. The Walleye and the Komets have a pretty good rivalry going. Would've given me a chance to see some of the goalie prospects. I'm most interest in in Miska. He was VERY good in every Duluth game I saw last year.

Bondurant

Jul 4, 2012
Phoenix, Arizona
I remember the Komets from the IHL days. Rival to the Kalamazoo Wings. Fights galore. One game I attended wasn't too far from Slap Shot type action. Line brawl after opening puck drop.

Coyotedroppings

Jul 16, 2017
I have family in Fort Wayne. My Aunt volunteers at the Coliseum. Neat!

My Dad was a war gamer, we used to spend several days a year at what was then the Key Largo Inn - had an indoor Olympic size pool, with hot tub - good memories.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad