Coyotes and Director of Amateur Scouting Tim Bernhardt have mutually agreed to part ways.

Thrasymachus

Jul 1, 2018
Strome was just over ppg in the AHL and then spent the rest of the season in the NHL getting his footing.

People **** on Strome like he's a bad prospect. Not every top 3 pick is a Barkov.
I didn’t say he sucked. I just think he has been underwhelming relative to the players drafted around him. Time will tell.

Not a hater I was just hoping Dylan would have made the club sooner (and that Ryan would have made more of an impact for the islanders)

Heldig

Apr 12, 2002
BC

Probably for the best given their drafting lately IMO

Lately? Are you referring to Barrett Hayton? He was Chayka's guy so maybe there was a disagreement there.

Before that? PO Joseph is looking like a pretty good prospect. Keller was a fantastic pick. Chychrun was good too.

Strome is the obvious mistake though it is still early.

Reactions: Name Nameless

izzy

go
Apr 29, 2012
Nova Scotia
Well people don't generally "part ways" if everyone involved thinks you're doing a great job.

well there isnt anything wrong with their drafting, might just not have been a good fit or they were looking to go in a different direction? looking at their draft history, they have made a lot of quality picks, dylan strome is the only real miss but again most any team would have made that pick

Reactions: Name Nameless

tucker3434

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 7, 2007
Atlanta, GA
Strome was a completely defensible pick at the time and may still pan out. POJ and Hayton look like poor value for where they were selected though.

Yeah, any other year than 2015, Strome would be tracking pretty great for a 3OA. It’s just that, in that particular year, you could’ve been blindfolded, throwing darts at a board, and likely would’ve hit somebody that’s already having more NHL success.

Maladroit

May 9, 2018
Berkeley, CA
Yeah, any other year than 2015, Strome would be tracking pretty great for a 3OA. It’s just that, in that particular year, you could’ve been blindfolded, throwing darts at a board, and likely would’ve hit somebody that’s already having more NHL success.

True but I think that's hard to pin on the scouting staff. He was universally considered a top four pick at the time and even if he ends up completely flaming out it's hindsight analysis to blame the scouts for it. On the other hand I think it's safe to say right now that Pierre Olivier-Joseph and Barrett Hayton were bad picks given who else was on the board and their scouting staff should be held accountable.

East Coast Icestyle

Mar 6, 2015
Nova Scotia, Canada
True but I think that's hard to pin on the scouting staff. He was universally considered a top four pick at the time and even if he ends up completely flaming out it's hindsight analysis to blame the scouts for it. On the other hand I think it's safe to say right now that Pierre Olivier-Joseph and Barrett Hayton were bad picks given who else was on the board and their scouting staff should be held accountable.

Barrett Hayton was literally just drafted and hasn't played a game yet for any league this season. Any other team and people say 'its too early to judge'

Maladroit

May 9, 2018
Berkeley, CA
Barrett Hayton was literally just drafted and hasn't played a game yet for any league this season. Any other team and people say 'its too early to judge'

That's my point though - the only fair time to judge a scouting staff is as soon as the pick is made (ideally before the pick is made so you can potentially avoid a mistake). Hayton's future development curve is unknowable just as Strome's was at the time. But the difference is Strome's performance in the OHL clearly warranted a top five pick while Hayton's clearly did not, given who else was on the board at the time.

XX

Waiting for Ishbia
Dec 10, 2002
PHX
That's my point though - the only fair time to judge a scouting staff is as soon as the pick is made (ideally before the pick is made so you can potentially avoid a mistake). Hayton's future development curve is unknowable just as Strome's was at the time. But the difference is Strome's performance in the OHL clearly warranted a top five pick while Hayton's clearly did not, given who else was on the board at the time.

I think Chayka would contest your point about Hayton's performance. They loved him at Ivan Hlinka, when the Soo was shorthanded, and in the playoffs. They drafted him based on those performances, not his overall production (which was absolutely not special). Scouts - and by extension GMs - have a right to bet their jobs on players they like. They put in the work and have to be accountable for it. Now we just wait.

TheDoldrums

May 3, 2016
Kanada
There were always reasons to doubt Strome as a prospect. His skating is just okay and his shot in junior was absurdly slow. Seriously his release was like loading up a musket, there was no chance he'd consistently have that time in the NHL I haven't seen any of his pro games so I can't say if he's made strides in those areas, but they gave me pause despite his obvious hockey sense and offensive talent.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->