Speculation: Coyotes 2021 Offseason Roster Discussion Thread #4

Status
Not open for further replies.

RemoAZ

Let it burn
Mar 30, 2010
Glendale, Arizona
It's a sad state of affairs if you need a 35 yo center to be your #1 or #2 center. What about Marcus Johansson? I really don't see Beagle playing. Is anyone worth their salt available in a trade? Every year it's the same problem. I guess next year the problem will be solved.;)
All of their actions have been to lose so does it really matter if they sign anyone? Better off just giving some PTOs in case players are needed to fill out the roster. The only exception would be a 1 year deal for someone you think can play well enough to earn a pick at the deadline and even then, you may harm the tank. They are all in at this point. Might as well continue to let it burn.

Mangosteen

Ground hog day no more
Apr 9, 2018
Would that be the ones attempting to establish themselves in the league or the ones fighting for one last chance?

Both amigo! It will be extremely hard to keep the team motivated and positive. This will be the coaches first responsibility, then the penalty kill.

Maybe potential to nurse the last year they will get paid.

IrishFin

Jun 9, 2016
MoJo doesn’t actually play much center. Pretty much full-time winger. Bozak isn’t ideal but BA seems to like 1yr deals.
Ya I'm not sure I see him making any multi year commitments to anyone yet. The $50 million in cap space next offseason is a crazy amount of flexibility. Even if he still takes on some salary dumps for picks, I imagine we will start seeing more notable free agent signings in a year. He got a significant jump on acquiring picks this year so hopefully the 11 picks in the first 2 rounds of these two drafts will be enough to jumpstart the rebuild. I hope next year will be more respectable in terms of the on ice product.

Reactions: DoanStopBelievin

Mangosteen

Ground hog day no more
Apr 9, 2018
Watch this team wind up making the playoffs lol.

I wouldn't mind it. I imagine we're gonna have 8-9 picks in the first two rounds next year when it's all said and done. Wright or no Wright, let's just make sure we hit on the picks that we do make.
Best post of the off season!

Bonsai Tree

Turning a new leaf
Feb 2, 2014
Still, I like Kessel. I don't care if he isn't built like the Man of Steel or doesn't have the mean streak of Batman. He produces points. If he isn't traded, he will be our only point producer. (apart from Lybushkin)

WrinkledPossum

Play Dead
Apr 23, 2016
Ya I'm not sure I see him making any multi year commitments to anyone yet. The $50 million in cap space next offseason is a crazy amount of flexibility. Even if he still takes on some salary dumps for picks, I imagine we will start seeing more notable free agent signings in a year. He got a significant jump on acquiring picks this year so hopefully the 11 picks in the first 2 rounds of these two drafts will be enough to jumpstart the rebuild. I hope next year will be more respectable in terms of the on ice product.
With all of the cap space I have a feeling next season we might be acquiring players with bad contracts again. BA doesn't seem to keen to overpaying for FAs. And the trend of overpaying for FAs has returned in full force this offseason.

I wonder if the plan is to give it two shots at 1st overall. Wright this year, Bedard next. Then by 23/24 our roster will be filled of young players. BA seems to be of the belief that the way to build a team is with your own prospects. Whether that be they're on the team or used in trades. That's how STL did it.

Reactions: DoanStopBelievin

Grimes

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 5, 2012
Tippet's Doghouse
Whoa Krejci just retired. Wonder if this heats up talks for Dvo again? Cizekas is probably their number one FA target now too.

If Boston is backed into a corner what does something around Dvo look like. They surprisingly still have DeBrusk.
1st
Studnicka
DeBrusk

Jaskin-Schmaltz-Keller
DeBrusk-Studnicka-Kessel
Crouse-Larsson-Fischer

Even adding two roster players for one and this lineup still looks badder than bad.

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
Whoa Krejci just retired. Wonder if this heats up talks for Dvo again? Cizekas is probably their number one FA target now too.

If Boston is backed into a corner what does something around Dvo look like. They surprisingly still have DeBrusk.
1st
Studnicka
DeBrusk

Jaskin-Schmaltz-Keller
DeBrusk-Studnicka-Kessel
Crouse-Larsson-Fischer

Even adding two roster players for one and this lineup still looks badder than bad.
The idea of having three 1sts and five 2nds next year is very appealing.
I like Studnicka a lot, but I'm guessing a solid 3C is the upside there.
I don't care for DeBrusk much. Decent reclamation project. 3rd round value, to me.

Maybe if we got Frederic in there instead of DeBrusk, somehow. Not sure if the cap becomes an issue, though. Maybe just add Frederic? Even, then, as much as I like Frederic (a lot) he's probably topping out as a really good 3LW. Him and Studnicka would be good culture builders. But Dvorak himself is already a good culture guy.

AZviaNJ

“Sure as shit want to F*** Coyote fans.”
Mar 31, 2011
AZ
Still, I like Kessel. I don't care if he isn't built like the Man of Steel or doesn't have the mean streak of Batman. He produces points. If he isn't traded, he will be our only point producer. (apart from Lybushkin)
Not built like a man of steel, but he has played in 900 consecutive games and will be probably be the first player in NHL history to get to 1,000 straight.

Imagine if he didn’t love hot dogs.

Last edited:

Art.Vandelay

@kash2112
Aug 2, 2005
Glendale, AZ
The idea of having three 1sts and five 2nds next year is very appealing.
I like Studnicka a lot, but I'm guessing a solid 3C is the upside there.
I don't care for DeBrusk much. Decent reclamation project. 3rd round value, to me.

Maybe if we got Frederic in there instead of DeBrusk, somehow. Not sure if the cap becomes an issue, though. Maybe just add Frederic? Even, then, as much as I like Frederic (a lot) he's probably topping out as a really good 3LW. Him and Studnicka would be good culture builders. But Dvorak himself is already a good culture guy.

I see this being similar to the Kuemper to Avs negotiations. BA is under no pressure to trade Dvorak so he can ask for the moon to start negotiations. If Boston won't overpay, we should keep Dvo.

Reactions: AZviaNJ

Grimes

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 5, 2012
Tippet's Doghouse
I see this being similar to the Kuemper to Avs negotiations. BA is under no pressure to trade Dvorak so he can ask for the moon to start negotiations. If Boston won't overpay, we should keep Dvo.

Absolutely agree, and I still believe that Dvo's name was out there to facilitate a OEL deal more so than a piece BA actually wants to move.

Reactions: Art.Vandelay

AZviaNJ

“Sure as shit want to F*** Coyote fans.”
Mar 31, 2011
AZ
That’s where my head is on Dvo also. There are probably 20 teams that would want him. I’d want more from Boston:

22 first, Studnicka, Vaakanainen(sp), DeBrusk and Frederic.

Don’t want to trade Dvo, it would take an overpayment.

Fyreman

Ret FD Batt Chief
Jul 19, 2013
It's a sad state of affairs if you need a 35 yo center to be your #1 or #2 center. What about Marcus Johansson? I really don't see Beagle playing. Is anyone worth their salt available in a trade? Every year it's the same problem. I guess next year the problem will be solved.;)
Jakey, Jakey, Jakey, we got Barrett Hayton- 5OA. All our problems will be solved...:phew::help::popcorn:

Reactions: Jakey53

Art.Vandelay

@kash2112
Aug 2, 2005
Glendale, AZ
I was looking at Boston's prospects and thought Daniel Vladar might be someone to chase, only to find that Calgary just picked him up for a 3rd. I would love for BA to find a trade like that. Youngish goalie who is a backup or ready for the NHL. We have lots of picks to throw at someone like that.

Mosby

Ready for Yeti
Feb 16, 2012
Toronto
Rumor of 1st + Koskinen + Samorukov for Korpisalo.

I imagine that's close to what was offered for Kuemper. I like the Colorado deal better.

Fyreman

Ret FD Batt Chief
Jul 19, 2013
Kessel won’t be last wanting out. Players will quit on the Yotes. This will be the biggest challenge for our coach. This will be the most interesting aspect of our team will be if he can keep them engaged:)
I guess they'll need to remove the word 'PROFESSIONAL' from their resume when they state they're a professional hockey player.

Last edited:

The Feckless Puck

Registered Loser
Sponsor
Oct 26, 2006
I was looking at Boston's prospects and thought Daniel Vladar might be someone to chase, only to find that Calgary just picked him up for a 3rd. I would love for BA to find a trade like that. Youngish goalie who is a backup or ready for the NHL. We have lots of picks to throw at someone like that.

Swayman is looking like a good young piece. Maybe we ask for him, send Veljmeka or Korenar back.

But really, I'd like to try and get Georgiev.

Fyreman

Ret FD Batt Chief
Jul 19, 2013
Well chayka said not to expect immediate results, but to wait 5 years, so we have to wait 2 more years...
True, we just missed on these guys (si) in the 2018 draft... I'm now of the opinion of BEST PLAYER AVAILABLE concerning the Coyote's drafting ability.
#5Arizona Coyotes
3.png
Barrett Hayton (F)
#6Detroit Red Wings
8.png
Filip Zadina (F)
#7Vancouver Canucks
6.png
Quinn Hughes (D)
#8Chicago Blackhawks
1.png
Adam Boqvist (D)