Speculation: Coyotes 2021 Offseason Roster Discussion Thread #4

Status
Not open for further replies.

AZviaNJ

Setbacks, no Defeats
Mar 31, 2011
AZ
After yesterday’s madness, I hope BA holds on to both Kuemper and Dvo, maybe Kessel too.

Kuemps greatest value will be an in season move to a team in desperate need of a goalie…especially if the opposing GM is on the hot seat. Get that 2022 first.

Never saw the need to move Dvo, but seems like teams are desperate for his services. I’d wait for a 2022 first plus a Jenik-level prospect offer. If you don’t get an overpayment offer then keep him.

Kessel is cheap, still a 50+ player, solid add for a contender in need of a point producer that can hide his deficiencies. The Islanders are a perfect fit…especially if they miss on Landy.

Last edited:
Reactions: Name Nameless

Canis Latrans

Jan 19, 2015
Australia
After yesterday’s madness, I hope BA holds on both Kuemper and Dvo, maybe Kessel too.

Kuemps greatest value will be an in season move to a team in desperate need of a goalie…especially if the opposing GM is on the hot seat. Get that 2022 first.

Never saw the need to move Dvo, but seems like teams are desperate for his services. I’d wait for a 2022 first plus a Jenik-level prospect offer. If you don’t get an overpayment offer then keep him.

Kessel is cheap, still a 50+ player, solid add for a contender in need of a point producer that can hide his deficiencies. The Islanders are a perfect fit…especially if they miss on Landy.
Hard to say when the best time to potentially move Kuemper would be. More teams may be interested right now, so the return might be greater. There's also less information out there on where teams sit in the standings. It's not completely clear if we are fully embracing a tank, but dropping down to Kořenář and whichever free agent might keep the team down lower in the standings. The team needs help and I don't think we want a goalie stealing wins if that's our direction, but I don't know what we're looking at. If we go for a huge reset via free agency next year, things might be more accelerated, and we may just want to keep him. I'd prefer we do a slow roll accruing more and more solid prospects so that we can have wave after wave moving in to supplement the core, which would allow us a much longer and robust window of competition. I think the team needs a long period of competitive stability like San Jose had to really gain financial stability. We don't need to just a miracle run and then back down to mediocrity.

Mosby

<3 Uncle Gary
Feb 16, 2012
Toronto
If we couldn't get a 2021 first rounder for Kuemper, we sure as hell aren't getting one for 2022. Need to target an A level prospect or a couple 2nd rounders for Kuemper.

AZviaNJ

Setbacks, no Defeats
Mar 31, 2011
AZ
If we couldn't get a 2021 first rounder for Kuemper, we sure as hell aren't getting one for 2022. Need to target an A level prospect or a couple 2nd rounders for Kuemper.
You’re ShanaDubas and the Leafs lose Campbell early in the season. Your job is potentially on the line. You don’t offer a ‘22 first for Kuemper? Maybe get the Coyotes to add the latest of their ‘22 seconds?

Jormungandr

Aug 14, 2002
Ohio
Was it ever confirmed that he’s actually draft eligible again or is he another Jaskin that we’ve already signed and just can’t announce until the 28th ?
I don’t actually know. I just keep seeing him on draft lists

Foggy1097

Jan 14, 2014
Arizona
So I guess a Kuemper deal is not going down until free agency then? Kinda seems that way. There is absolutely no reason to carry him into the season so it has to get done

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
Subscribe to this if you haven’t.
Bill Armstrong's work just beginning

Garland:
“I don’t want to say that I was never rewarded by the organization but it's a little odd that you do all that and you get traded. It’s a weird feeling in that sense. I tried to be the identity for our team in the way I played, playing hard every night. Even if I didn't have my offensive stuff that night, I still wanted to compete and make us a hard team to play against. They were saying you have to bleed in the desert and I took that to heart, but I guess it all ends today. That’s the part that’s weird. All the progress you have made with the team just stops now.”
^ that’s heartbreaking.

From BA:
“We’re getting out of a hole,” Armstrong said by phone after the Guenther selection. “We’re climbing and now we finally have a chance to get out.”
^ but this kinda explains it…

XX

Waiting for Ishbia
Dec 10, 2002
PHX
Garland is very good at choosing his words for the desired effect. The immediate "guess they'll never know what price they could have had me at" was a good example. I don't doubt his sincerity but he knows what he is doing by making those comments.

I am legit worried about the impact on the room though. Trading your heart and soul guy because you don't want to be the one to give him a payday probably went over like a lead balloon with the others.

Reactions: Jakey53 and Kaizen

rt

May 13, 2004
Garland is very good at choosing his words for the desired effect. The immediate "guess they'll never know what price they could have had me at" was a good example. I don't doubt his sincerity but he knows what he is doing by making those comments.

I am legit worried about the impact on the room though. Trading your heart and soul guy because you don't want to be the one to give him a payday probably went over like a lead balloon with the others.
We really only care about Chychrun and Keller. I think Chychrun is rock solid and won’t get phased and Keller is rock stupid and won’t understand anyway.

Reactions: AZviaNJ

XX

Waiting for Ishbia
Dec 10, 2002
PHX
We really only care about Chychrun and Keller. I think Chychrun is rock solid and won’t get phased and Keller is rock stupid and won’t understand anyway.

I care about overall morale and I'm sure AT does too. They trade Dvo and Kuemper for futures, it's going to be a sullen atmosphere. BA needs to keep tabs on the locker room. Character guys who will buy in and run with what AT is putting down are needed at this point. Imama is a good start.

Reactions: Grimes

rt

May 13, 2004
I care about overall morale and I'm sure AT does too. They trade Dvo and Kuemper for futures, it's going to be a sullen atmosphere. BA needs to keep tabs on the locker room. Character guys who will buy in and run with what AT is putting down are needed at this point. Imama is a good start.
Agreed. I would save Phil and Kuemper for the TDL and Dvorak for a blow the doors off proposal. And they need to bring in guys the team can believe in.

Overpay the hell out of Martinook and Cizikas and Hakanpaa. Those types. Those specific guys, honestly. Give them a ton of money on short deals so they can’t say no.

Reactions: DoanStopBelievin

XX

Waiting for Ishbia
Dec 10, 2002
PHX
There's the 'we're so comfy, this is great' country club and then there's the Buffalo existential dread style of "country club" where almost every player is wondering when their sentence will end.

The Coyotes can't end up in the latter because it's possibly even more toxic than the former. It still haunts Edmonton a bit to this day.

rt

May 13, 2004
There's the 'we're so comfy, this is great' country club and then there's the Buffalo existential dread style of "country club" where almost every player is wondering when their sentence will end.

The Coyotes can't end up in the latter because it's possibly even more toxic than the former. It still haunts Edmonton a bit to this day.
Yep. Martinook and Cizikas help.

Foggy1097

Jan 14, 2014
Arizona
Agreed. I would save Phil and Kuemper for the TDL and Dvorak for a blow the doors off proposal. And they need to bring in guys the team can believe in.

Overpay the hell out of Martinook and Cizikas and Hakanpaa. Those types. Those specific guys, honestly. Give them a ton of money on short deals so they can’t say no.
You can’t wait on a Kuemper deal any longer. It s just too much risk to be taking with a valuable asset. Couldn’t deal him at the deadline last year because he was hurt…can’t risk it again, no way. Not to mention his numbers will almost certainly be worse even if he’s playing decent, because the team won’t be winning many games. I think BA is taking on a lot of unnecessary risk by waiting until TDL again. Wait until the dust settles a bit next week once free agency opens and then take the best offer you can get.

Reactions: moosemeister

rt

May 13, 2004
You can’t wait on a Kuemper deal any longer. It s just too much risk to be taking with a valuable asset. Couldn’t deal him at the deadline last year because he was hurt…can’t risk it again, no way. Not to mention his numbers will almost certainly be worse even if he’s playing decent, because the team won’t be winning many games. I think BA is taking on a lot of unnecessary risk by waiting until TDL again. Wait until the dust settles a bit next week once free agency opens and then take the best offer you can get.
My dream is Kuemper and Fischer for Jarry and POJ.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->