Value of: Coyle to Boston

Status
Not open for further replies.

Filthy Dangles

Registered User*
Oct 23, 2014
Why? Mcquaids a good defensemen

He is definitely not a "good" defenseman. Because if he was, you wouldn't trade him for Charlie Coyle who's an inconsistent and stuggling player offensively.

the guy gets caved in playing 15-16 minutes a night

Alberta_OReilly_Fan

Bruin fan since 1975
Nov 26, 2006
Edmonton Canada
any value is this?coycle of from area I believe send him back home

if the price is right you would find me a willing buyer. hes going to turn 27 in march and hes scored more than 20 goals once in his career. his faceoff and overall playmaking ability isn't good enough to be a top 6 center.

I couldn't give up a ton for him but we do have a lot of smaller left shot wingers. id like a bigger right shot winger.

id probably be willing to eat 2 million of backes contract and trade him 1 for 1 for coyle. coyle would cost us 5.2 mill for 2 years once you factor in the cap retention... then 2 mill in year 3... and backes would cost you guys 4 mill... backes has the extra year of service

if it wasn't backes… I might also be willing to move Heinen or Bjork depending how Minnesota feels about Bjork.

coyle could be used as 3rd line center for us until one of the kids is ready. I like him. but hes not a top 6 player and I couldn't pay that much for him

wintersej

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2011
North Andover, MA
There are 6 top 9 winger spots. And let’s be clear, Coyle is a winger than plays some C.

Bruins have Marchand, DeBrusk, Pastrnak, Heinen, Bjork, Donato and Backes fighting for those 6 spots already. The only reason the Bruins would make a move was to swap a lefty for a righty...and I am pretty sure the Wild are at the bottom of the barrel for “have extra right shot wingers”.

Not really sure where Coyle even would fit on Boston. He is basically current day David Backes but younger.

Bazeek

Registered Lurker
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2011
Exiled in Madison
What the actual ****
Seconded.

Boston has a few players/prospects that I'd personally be interested in (like Heinen, Donato and Frederic) but I'm not sure how interested they are in parting with any of them. Whether it's for Coyle or someone else. Guys like Rask, McQuaid and Backes aren't who the Wild should be looking for though, whatever their merits.

Last edited:

Tim Vezina Thomas

Jun 4, 2009
Who is in the 2nd line RW spot right now?

Looking like it will be one of the kids, which is fine by me. Did the same with Debrusk last year and hes established himself pretty well on the 2nd line.

This is what its looking like so far:

Marchand Bergeron Pasta
Debrusk Krejci Donato/Heinen
Donato/Heinen Frederic/JFK/Studnicka Backes
4th Line

With Bjork sprinkled in there wherever he fits, and Rick Nash potentially coming back mid year.

Tim Vezina Thomas

Jun 4, 2009
Seconded.

Boston has a few players/prospects that I'd personally be interested in (like Heinen, Donato and Frederick) but I'm not sure how interested they are in parting with any of them. Whether it's for Coyle or someone else. Guys like Rask, McQuaid and Backes aren't who the Wild should be looking for though, whatever their merits.

I like Coyle but I don't think I'd want to pay what you'd need to trade him.

Montecristo

Jul 29, 2012
The Wild have better options on the right side

heinen is under team control for twice as long as coyle is and is coming off a better rookie year statistically then any of coyles seasons with the exception of one. So if the trade is coyle for heinen (which I’m okay with) Boston needs minnesota to take some salary back. I figured mcquaid would be who you’d want considering he’s in his last year at 2.75 and at worst just provides good depth on the right side as a 7th or 8th guy. Plus he’d require the least amount back for him compared to any other salary Minnesota could take. Like I could include grzcelyk or kevan Miller. But I’d want more than coyle + a 3rd for heinen + Miller. So if you really don’t want either Miller or mcquaid you might as well take mcquaid for a 3rd and move him again at the deadline for a 3rd or 4th and recoup your losses. Or include a 3rd team in the trade to send Boston a 3rd for mcquaid. But for Boston to take coyle, money needs to go somewhere else. Especially if Boston is moving what may be a more valuable player in heinen considering he makes less than coyle, is under team control longer and put up 15 more points than coyle did last year. The reason i want coyle over heinen is because he’s bigger and is a right shot and can play center.

He fills more of a need than heinen does considering Boston has Marchand, debrusk, donato, and bjork all capable of playing left wing this season on top of kuraly, nordstrom and Wagner who can all play 4th line as well. This would allow either bjork or donato time in providence If need be. And coyle could either play with Bergeron and Marchand on the top line rw, or could play with krejci and debrusk. Or even could center the 3rd line with backes and donato/bjork. I think heinen is the more valuable asset. I think coyle is more needed than heinen though so this would be a hockey trade from Boston’s perspective. And Minnesota needs to take salary in order to gain heinen. I doubt you want backes. So I gave you mcquaid. Who isn’t a straight dump either. It’s not like you’re taking beleskey. Mcquaid is a physical intimidating defensemen.

Does he have flaws? Of course. He’s slow, injury prone and overpaid. But with that he’s still a capable bottom pairing dman who fights and hits and kills penalties and blocks shots. If you don’t want him move him somewhere. Or just swallow it for a year and he’s a free agent at year end. But we aren’t just dumping him. His value is probably a 3rd or 4th so send us that pick for him and you get the better offensive player in heinen.

BruinsFanSince94

The Perfect Fan ™
Sep 28, 2017
New England
Could a Minnesota fan, who gets to watch Coyle regularly, give me a run down on his game? I don't watch the Wild at all, and nothing sticks out to me during games against Boston, when I would get the chance to watch him. One thing I'd specifically like to know is if he is anything like David Backes? I'm going off his hitting stats here, so pardon the ignorance in the assumption that he doesn't seem like a very physical player. At least that of David Backes.

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
Charlie Coyle is Chris Kreider...maybe a year younger or so? Not quite as fast. Very strong and physical, though in a quiet way. People who say he isn't want to him to do the " old time hockey" blow up hits like a young Clutterbuck, Lucic, or Wilson, ignoring the fact that that type of hockey is simply passé. Coyle is simply very strong, and won't be bullied by anyone. not really a fighter...just wrestles guys to the ice.

He is more versatile of a player than Kreider. Has figured out how to play C( over 50% FO's). On a good team like the Bruins he would a 2/3 C( depending on Krecji's health), or a top 6 RW.

Like Kreider, he can look brilliant for a stretch of games, then disappear for another stretch, which frustrates some fans. I simply accept it, because I know how valuable having skilled size is, and also understand how being switched back and forth from C to RW, for #1 RW to #3C( remember, we have Koivu and Staal), playing the point on the PP( not recommended), PK, etc., can mess with your head.
Unlike Nino, or Zucker, both fine players, he is much more versatile.

He is an average passer. Good shot, but doesn't use it enough, though we found out last year he was playing with two dislocated thumbs. Good moves, and surprising skill. His one elite skill with the puck is playing keep away in the offensive zone. Almost impossible to get the puck away from him.
Very good, heavy, forechecker.
Good net front presence, but could be better, considering his size.
Good defensively. Denitely a two way player.

If he is played in more a checking role he will be good for about 40-45 points. With more skilled players, 50-60.

I'm a fan, and every coach the Wild have had are too. Same with Spurgeon. They are just very useful,players that you can stick out there in just about any situation. At 3.2M he is a steal, IMO.

Last edited:
Reactions: AKL

BigBear83

Jan 29, 2013
Haverhill, NH
What are Bruins fans opinion on Trent Frederic?
im no gm, but he would be on my no trade list if i were donny.. he provides something we dont have in our prospect pool.. size and skill... add in the fact that hes quick enough to keep up to todays game.. he will spend the year in the ahl working on his defensive game unless he absolutely wows at camp.. dont foresee him ever being a true # 1 but i think his ceilingis that he becomes a very good #2c.. again. im not a scout, just a fan who likes to read up on the up and comers

Tim Vezina Thomas

Jun 4, 2009
What are Bruins fans opinion on Trent Frederic?

Hes one of the top center prospects in the system. At this point I see him/JFK/Studnicka winning the job as the 3C, so I doubt he gets traded.

I'd be baffled if Sweeney traded him at this point, when our top two centers are both 30+ and Krejci hasn't exactly lit the world on fire recently. Would have to be in a deal to add young NHL talent I'd imagine.

BigBear83

Jan 29, 2013
Haverhill, NH
still want coyle by the way.. lets go Vaakanienen, ('17 1st rounder)looks like you guys might be a little short on high end LD prospects, bjork and 4th. IMO thats fair. Is it true he was playing with two dislocated thumbs? thats crazy .. if he was in boston he would be getting shredded for playing too much fortnite.. gotta love the media

Bazeek

Registered Lurker
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2011
Exiled in Madison
still want coyle by the way.. lets go Vaakanienen, ('17 1st rounder)looks like you guys might be a little short on high end LD prospects, bjork and 4th. IMO thats fair. Is it true he was playing with two dislocated thumbs? thats crazy .. if he was in boston he would be getting shredded for playing too much fortnite.. gotta love the media
I can't really comment on Vaakanienen, but I think we need Coyle more than we need LD prospects.

2Pair

Oct 8, 2017
heinen is under team control for twice as long as coyle is and is coming off a better rookie year statistically then any of coyles seasons with the exception of one. So if the trade is coyle for heinen (which I’m okay with) Boston needs minnesota to take some salary back. I figured mcquaid would be who you’d want considering he’s in his last year at 2.75 and at worst just provides good depth on the right side as a 7th or 8th guy. Plus he’d require the least amount back for him compared to any other salary Minnesota could take. Like I could include grzcelyk or kevan Miller. But I’d want more than coyle + a 3rd for heinen + Miller. So if you really don’t want either Miller or mcquaid you might as well take mcquaid for a 3rd and move him again at the deadline for a 3rd or 4th and recoup your losses. Or include a 3rd team in the trade to send Boston a 3rd for mcquaid. But for Boston to take coyle, money needs to go somewhere else. Especially if Boston is moving what may be a more valuable player in heinen considering he makes less than coyle, is under team control longer and put up 15 more points than coyle did last year. The reason i want coyle over heinen is because he’s bigger and is a right shot and can play center.

He fills more of a need than heinen does considering Boston has Marchand, debrusk, donato, and bjork all capable of playing left wing this season on top of kuraly, nordstrom and Wagner who can all play 4th line as well. This would allow either bjork or donato time in providence If need be. And coyle could either play with Bergeron and Marchand on the top line rw, or could play with krejci and debrusk. Or even could center the 3rd line with backes and donato/bjork. I think heinen is the more valuable asset. I think coyle is more needed than heinen though so this would be a hockey trade from Boston’s perspective. And Minnesota needs to take salary in order to gain heinen. I doubt you want backes. So I gave you mcquaid. Who isn’t a straight dump either. It’s not like you’re taking beleskey. Mcquaid is a physical intimidating defensemen.

Does he have flaws? Of course. He’s slow, injury prone and overpaid. But with that he’s still a capable bottom pairing dman who fights and hits and kills penalties and blocks shots. If you don’t want him move him somewhere. Or just swallow it for a year and he’s a free agent at year end. But we aren’t just dumping him. His value is probably a 3rd or 4th so send us that pick for him and you get the better offensive player in heinen.
Coyle has quite a bit more value than Heinen and a salary dump.

BigBear83

Jan 29, 2013
Haverhill, NH
I can't really comment on Vaakanienen, but I think we need Coyle more than we need LD prospects.
i can see that for both of our teams.. will coyle be on the third line you think? need and being able to afford that need is whats going to be important here for both teams. sounds like you guys (the fans) value coyle more than the gm does/did? is that a fair assesment? not looking to argue, more get a feel on how the team thinks of coyle.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->