Signing(s): Cowboys & RB Ezekiel Elliott agree on a 6-year, $90M extension

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street
He certainly earned it, Jones finally realized playing hardball wasnt going to work.

Honestly I thought he'd sit out the first game, then the Cowboys possibly lose and fans go ape shit forcing Jerry to agree to his terms.

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
Even though I have Zeke on both my fantasy teams, I’m mostly glad this is over so I don’t have to hear all the breathless speculation anymore.

Troy McClure

Suter will never be scratched
Mar 12, 2002
South of Heaven
No real surprise. When you draft a RB as high as this and make him the focus of your offense, you have set yourself up to have to pay him big.

They really had no choice. What were they going to do? Let him walk as a free agent? If they do that, it's a total bust of a #4 overall pick.

This is one more reason why drafting a RB this high is a bad idea.

Bob Richards

Mr. Mojo Risin'
Feb 9, 2011
Jersey
No real surprise. When you draft a RB as high as this and make him the focus of your offense, you have set yourself up to have to pay him big.

They really had no choice. What were they going to do? Let him walk as a free agent? If they do that, it's a total bust of a #4 overall pick.

This is one more reason why drafting a RB this high is a bad idea.

<-------------- Giants fan

Yup. Can't wait for their own version of this.

Reactions: Josepho

Blitzkrug

Sep 17, 2013
Winnipeg
It also sets up Barkley getting a similar deal in only two years.

If anything, Barkley will have even more leverage than Zeke given he is literally the giants offense at this point.

With Zeke you could throw the "lol the offensive line can make anyone a star" argument, possibly lowering his value in negotiations. Not so with Saquan.

I predict he'll break Zeke's mark as highest paid RB in NFL history

Troy McClure

Suter will never be scratched
Mar 12, 2002
South of Heaven
It turns out this isn't quite the scary contract first assumed. The Cowboys can get out of it after four seasons with a minor $6 million cap hit.

In other words, this is actually only $48 million over four seasons before it will be terminated by the Cowboys. Zeke gets to brag about the biggest contract ever for a RB, and the Cowboys get to walk away before actually paying a lot of it.

fin8

Apr 10, 2010
sault.ste.marie,on
I’m just hoping he doesn’t do something stupid and gets suspended. If he stays out of trouble, then I have no issue with his contract at all. He’s a great player. It’s the NFL. Stars get paid.

EpochLink

Canucks and Jets fan
Aug 1, 2006
Vancouver, BC
Sure, but still a stupid deal. The Cowboys will be incredibly top heavy very soon.

Belichick would have traded his ass in a minute.

Dak is next, Jerry will give him near next to what Jared Goff got.
Not sure how Cooper will get paid to be honest, Cowboys love to pay their own drafted players..

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad