Online Series: Cowboy Bebop

Shareefruck

Apr 2, 2005
Vancouver, BC
I don't think there's any area that this can improve on from the original, so I can't say I'm optimistic. Even visually the original will look better and more fluid than this is likely going to.

If they do it right, it's probably not going to reach a wide audience anyways, and if it's a success, it will likely be through compromising the restraint and integrity that it had.

Finlandia WOAT

js7.4x8fnmcf5070124
May 23, 2010
they do it right, it's probably not going to reach a wide audience anyways, and if it's a success, it will likely be through compromising the restraint and integrity that it had.

Cowboy Bebop is one of the most popular 90's anime stateside alongside dbz and Eva- and since DBZ was on cartoon networks afterschool block while Eva was never syndicated, it has a case to be the most popular teen/adult oriented anime from that time wrt US media penetration.

Shareefruck

Apr 2, 2005
Vancouver, BC
Cowboy Bebop is one of the most popular 90's anime stateside alongside dbz and Eva- and since DBZ was on cartoon networks afterschool block while Eva was never syndicated, it has a case to be the most popular teen/adult oriented anime from that time wrt US media penetration.
Yeah, but something tells me it's not strictly timeless universal appeal, accessibility and sensibilities of the show that made it that popular-- more of a zeitgeist, game-changing thing that gave it the leg up on everything else at the time. If it were released today, I bet a lot of casual audiences would struggle with it or be put off by a lot of the things it does well. I know I haven't had much success recommending it to people. The way that it doesn't progress like an ongoing dramatic roller-coaster seems to come across as awkward and anti-climactic to a lot of people who are used to modern TV dramas, I find.

Last edited:

Finlandia WOAT

js7.4x8fnmcf5070124
May 23, 2010
Yeah, but something tells me it's not strictly timeless universal appeal, accessibility and sensibilities of the show that made it that popular-- more of a zeitgeist, game-changing thing that gave it the leg up on everything else at the time.

Kinda? Cowboy Bebop is a mixture of quintessential tropes from Westerns and Noir Police Procedurals- in space. So it's more a fresh take on well known, well loved genres to North Americans.

Shareefruck

Apr 2, 2005
Vancouver, BC
Kinda? Cowboy Bebop is a mixture of quintessential tropes from Westerns and Noir Police Procedurals- in space. So it's more a fresh take on well known, well loved genres to North Americans.
What I mean is that the production values/animation (something that isn't carried over in a remake) were so far above everything else at the time that without that advantage, I'm not sure the idea of short, bleak, tastefully restrained (in terms of tone), and self contained Noir stories that don't obviously connect story-wise from episode to episode would be all that popular without being restructured into the same kind of serialized roller-coaster that most popular TV dramas are (which would suck, IMO).

Eisen

Sep 30, 2009
Duesseldorf
I'm a bit surprised, it wasn't that bad. Too much of Vicious but the rest was all ok. I hate it when they criticise pacing. It's such an empty criticism.

Shareefruck

Apr 2, 2005
Vancouver, BC
Not AS bad as some made it out to be (though the Vicious/Julia/Ed stuff easily was), but still plenty bad enough for me to prefer that this kind of thing not exist and say good riddance, from my perspective.

Pizza!Pizza!

Sep 25, 2018
I thought the trailer was just one of those 'goofs' where a new director shows off their skills. Didn't realize they actually attempted to make a full live action show.

Power Man

Grrrr
Sep 30, 2008
221B Baker Street
Not surprised by the cancellation tbh

Shakir as Jet was perfect casting tbh
I liked Faye as well

Live action Spike was not great but not bad either, I like John Cho so I might be biased

Not a fan of this version of Vicious, too crazy compared to the anime version

They also butchered one of my favourite bad guys from the anime version, Mad Pierrot

Ed? Well , can’t blame the actress, I think she did her best, even it was a little bit over the top as if they tried to cram everything Ed in one scene

But how the hell do you adapt a character like Ed to live action?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad