Covid19 impacts 2021 season

LadyStanley

Sep 22, 2004
Sin City
Yes. No.

Players can be traded until 4/12 3pm ET, but may arrive a week or more later due to visa and quarantine requirements.

mouser

Business of Hockey
Jul 13, 2006
South Mountain
Quick question regarding the upcoming trade deadline. Do players quarantining as “non-roster” still qualify for playoffs if they’re in that “non-roster” status come on and after the deadline?

I assume yes, but I haven’t found anything clarifying further.

Asked another way..is the Canadian/Californian/other quarantine mandatory areas trade deadline tomorrow?

If it helps simplify: Non-Roster works nearly identically to Injured Reserve for most purposes, including playoff eligibility. A player on IR at the deadline is playoff eligible, as would a Non-Roster player.

member 96824

If it helps simplify: Non-Roster works nearly identically to Injured Reserve for most purposes, including playoff eligibility. A player on IR at the deadline is playoff eligible, as would a Non-Roster player.
Awesome. Thank you! That does help.

LadyStanley

Sep 22, 2004
Sin City
31 Thoughts: Sabres juggling multiple scenarios ahead of trade deadline

Friedman's #1 thought is Vancouver's covid situation. First paragraph:
There will be more time for everyone to process their feelings, but one of the questions surrounding the Canucks is if any player/coach/staff member decides they don’t want to continue the season. It may not simply be about that individual. Brendan Sutter’s father, Brent, told Eric Francis on Monday that his son has “body aches, headaches, chills” and is concerned about wife Giselle (who is pregnant) and their two young children.

Yes, a big question: will players be willing to return to play? (NHL and/or NHLPA may have to weigh in.) AHL Utica is just getting over their covid situation.

Another player added to list today.

My guess is the restart won't happen until 10+ days after last positive case added to list.

Reactions: Bostonzamboni

jkrdevil

UnRegistered User
Apr 24, 2006
Miami
Looks like the East, Central, and West playoffs will start before the North season is complete. I guess that will also mean a compressed version of round 1 and 2 for the North to catch up.

LadyStanley

Sep 22, 2004
Sin City

I believe the Stars have been vaxed. I'm guessing the Sharks might be (the AHL team has; had a mediocre game after injections).

LadyStanley

Sep 22, 2004
Sin City

Aiui, the players met with NHLPA over concerns of returning so fast. Especially as the illness impacts respiratory system.

But no date on when they will return to play.

Bookie21

Dec 26, 2017

Aiui, the players met with NHLPA over concerns of returning so fast. Especially as the illness impacts respiratory system.

But no date on when they will return to play.

This is such bs on the part of the Canucks players. These guys agreed to the Covid protocols before the season in accordance with the NHLPA and NHL. There's no surprises that there would be team outbreaks, look at the Bruins, Stars, etc. If these guys don't feel safe playing they have the option to opt out and not collect a paycheck. Quit grandstanding, either shut up and play or tell the team you're not playing and forfeit your salary.

LadyStanley

Sep 22, 2004
Sin City
This is such bs on the part of the Canucks players. These guys agreed to the Covid protocols before the season in accordance with the NHLPA and NHL. There's no surprises that there would be team outbreaks, look at the Bruins, Stars, etc. If these guys don't feel safe playing they have the option to opt out and not collect a paycheck. Quit grandstanding, either shut up and play or tell the team you're not playing and forfeit your salary.

It's not the disease threat. It's the recovery.

I had pneumonia years ago. Thought I was okay after a couple of weeks after antibiotics and rest. Nope. Had a relapse.

From what I've read, the variant has severe symptoms that impact respiratory system. And that doesn't even count the "covid long haulers" (at least one player is out for season due to that); most were healthy before contracting covid and now have a lot of issues that rob them of a normal life (much less the high level of physical activity required to play NHL hockey).

IANAD. I don't know the extent of the Canucks players physical impact from covid. But it seems that the (majority of) players are physically not.ready to return to play.

varsaku

Feb 14, 2014
United States

Even after the virus is gone there is still a ton of lingering effects. If they play a game now, they will get blown out from being no where near the physical performance of themselves prior to the illness.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->